Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : TSS 5.1.1
Page 4 of 6
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
hyperme
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1062
IP: Logged

File: drod.5.1.1_427x.zip (1.5 MB)
Downloaded 63 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: TSS 5.1.1 (+1)  
Ideally, the last X-build (for 5.1.1). This has a fix for the briar processing problem around constructed briar roots.

01-05-2022 at 08:03 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Kalin
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 185
Were there any fixes for stability bugs since 5.1.1.270?

I'm playing The Untold Untold Tales of Gunthro Budkin, and I get frequent crashes to desktop. I can reliably trigger it by failing the challenge in Forest 5N1E, which implies it may be due to killing characters while they are talking (something easy to do in this hold).
01-30-2022 at 05:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
icon Re: TSS 5.1.1 (0)  
Kalin wrote:
Were there any fixes for stability bugs since 5.1.1.270?

I'm playing The Untold Untold Tales of Gunthro Budkin, and I get frequent crashes to desktop. I can reliably trigger it by failing the challenge in Forest 5N1E, which implies it may be due to killing characters while they are talking (something easy to do in this hold).
Thanks for reporting this issue. hyperme implemented a fix for this. I'll be posting a new RC build here with the fix asap.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
02-16-2022 at 05:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer

File: DROD5Patch5_1_1_436.exe (3.8 MB)
Downloaded 63 times.
icon Re: TSS 5.1.1 (+2)  
Here is Windows RC patch installer v5.1.1.436.

02-17-2022 at 05:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
hyperme
The installer worked for me to update to 5.1.1.436 on Windows 10. Probably another person should also check to be sure.

02-19-2022 at 05:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
RabidChild
Rank Points: 720
icon Re: TSS 5.1.1 (+3)  
I get the following error when running the patch installer:

Patch error:

The required directory is missing.
The patch installation will now exit.

Possibly because I have DROD installed to a non-standard directory, but the installer doesn't give me the option to choose the installation directory, which previous patch installers did.

I also got a warning from Microsoft Defender SmartScreen the first time I ran the installer saying it's an unrecognized app and may put my PC at risk.
02-27-2022 at 04:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Xindaris
Rank Points: 1531
The installer worked fine for me on Windows 10.

Here are some links to Things!
Click here to view the secret text

02-27-2022 at 10:58 PM
mrimer

File: patch installer sshot.jpg (75.6 KB)
Downloaded 968 times.
RabidChild wrote:
I get the following error when running the patch installer:

Patch error:

The required directory is missing.
The patch installation will now exit.

Possibly because I have DROD installed to a non-standard directory, but the installer doesn't give me the option to choose the installation directory, which previous patch installers did.
Thanks for reporting this issue. I can't reproduce it and I will probably need some help figuring it out. Maybe it's a user permission issue? Here's what I see when I run the patch installer:
Would you share what you first see in the patch installer app window when you run the latest patch installer?

[Last edited by mrimer at 03-18-2022 04:07 PM]
03-18-2022 at 04:05 PM
RabidChild

File: Patch Installer.png (18.9 KB)
Downloaded 937 times.
Sure, this is the first thing I see.

I tried running as administrator and various compatibility settings, but I always get the same result.

Oddly, when I try the patch installer for 5.1.1.344, I get the same result, even though I know I installed it successfully before.

This was all on my Windows 10 PC. I tried the patch installer on my wife's Windows 11 PC and got the same result there as well, however, since she does have DROD installed to C:\Program Files (x86)\DROD 5 - The Second Sky\, the install completed successfully.
03-19-2022 at 06:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
mxvladi
Rank Points: 2505
icon Re: TSS 5.1.1 (+4)  
RabidChild wrote:
Sure, this is the first thing I see.

I tried running as administrator and various compatibility settings, but I always get the same result.

Oddly, when I try the patch installer for 5.1.1.344, I get the same result, even though I know I installed it successfully before.

This was all on my Windows 10 PC. I tried the patch installer on my wife's Windows 11 PC and got the same result there as well, however, since she does have DROD installed to C:\Program Files (x86)\DROD 5 - The Second Sky\, the install completed successfully.

I did some digging in registry, apparently the patch gets the default path for installation from the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\DROD 5: The Second Sky_is1\Inno Setup: App Path

If you modify the path value there, it'll then use the modified path as a default one. If you rename or remove the key, it'll allow you to manually select the path during patch installation.

Worked for me, at least.
03-19-2022 at 07:13 PM
RabidChild
mxvladi wrote:
I did some digging in registry, apparently the patch gets the default path for installation from the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\DROD 5: The Second Sky_is1\Inno Setup: App Path

If you modify the path value there, it'll then use the modified path as a default one. If you rename or remove the key, it'll allow you to manually select the path during patch installation.

Worked for me, at least.
Thanks, mxvladi! I changed the path in the registry key to my current DROD installation directory and I was able to install the patch successfully, though I'm not entirely sure why it had a different path in the first place. I still think it would be preferable if the installer let me choose the directory.
03-21-2022 at 12:08 PM
skell
Rank Points: 3734
Some solutions:
1. Always display the page for setting the path, default to the path in registry, hope users don't shoot themself in the foot
2. The same but make the path non-editable unless you check a checkbox
3. Check the path at the beginning of installation and display the page if the path is not correct
4. At some step before have an option to select "Simple" or "Advanced" intallation mode, and advanced will always show the page

You could do some mixing, especially with #3 but my personal favorite is #2 - the installation is straightforward anyway and this gives you the perfect balance between "even an ox can do it" and "*nixians feel at home"

03-22-2022 at 09:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Thanks for the investigation and suggestions. Glad you found a workaround. I've been digging through the InnoSetup 6 documentation and I also found this command line option:

/DIR="x:\dirname"
Overrides the default directory name displayed on the Select Destination Location wizard page. A fully qualified pathname must be specified. May include an "expand:" prefix which instructs Setup to expand any constants in the name. For example: '/DIR=expand:{autopf}\My Program'.

So, you could run it with this command line parameter indicating the app install directory you want to patch.

However, I don't understand why the "Select Destination Location" wizard page isn't showing up for you in the first place. I'm looking into that next.

[Last edited by mrimer at 03-30-2022 03:24 PM]
03-30-2022 at 03:23 PM
mrimer

File: DROD5Patch5_1_1_436_a.exe (3.8 MB)
Downloaded 87 times.
Okay, I've included a config setting in the patch installer
DisableDirPage=no
that should always cause the install dir selection page to appear in the setup wizard. Previously, this was the behavior:
If this is set to "auto" (default), at startup Setup will look in the registry to see if the same application is already installed, and if so, it will not show the Select Destination Location wizard page.
So, there you have it.

Here's a new patch installer that should be identical to the previous one, except it always shows an option to select the directory to patch. Would you please confirm this works for you? If so, and there's nothing else, we can release!

[Last edited by mrimer at 03-30-2022 03:31 PM]
03-30-2022 at 03:31 PM
mxvladi
Rank Points: 2505
mrimer wrote:
Here's a new patch installer that should be identical to the previous one, except it always shows an option to select the directory to patch. Would you please confirm this works for you? If so, and there's nothing else, we can release!

I can confirm it does indeed show path selection window during installation process, even with "Inno Setup: App Path" registry key present.
03-30-2022 at 04:21 PM
mrimer
Awesome! Thank you.

Anything else to resolve before full release?

Going once...

03-30-2022 at 05:17 PM
averagemoe
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 487
How easy would this be to implement?

I ask because I'd prefer not getting it yet over significantly delaying this release.

04-07-2022 at 02:57 AM
hyperme
icon Re: TSS 5.1.1 (+4)  
averagemoe wrote:
How easy would this be to implement?

I ask because I'd prefer not getting it yet over significantly delaying this release.

No. It's too late for any issue that isn't a serious crash or a break in gameplay behaviour created in 5.1.1

Also, anything that requires new UI, or changes the data in a hold file isn't on the table for 5.1.1. Since that feature requires both, how difficult it is doesn't matter.

04-07-2022 at 07:45 AM
disoriented
Rank Points: 2384
slimm tom, if you're around, do you think you could create a new 5.1.1 release candidate for the Mac? Really appreciate it.

I've been testing your earlier OS X alpha, and it appears to work on my new M1 Max running Monterey 12.3.1, although it suffers the expected crashiness from an alpha build. Some rooms just cause the app to unexpectedly quit.

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.
04-24-2022 at 09:44 PM
slimm tom
Rank Points: 1228
Sure, I can do that! I also got a new M1 Mac though, so I will need to replicate the dev environment, which I hope will not take too much time. Hope to get back to you with a new build in the next few weeks.
05-02-2022 at 08:28 PM
disoriented
Awesome! Don’t know if it adds extra complexity to make the build a universal binary, so I’ll leave that decision to you ;-)

05-02-2022 at 11:29 PM
averagemoe
Can I go twice? It feels like someone should.

06-23-2022 at 12:37 AM
slimm tom
Sorry for not getting to this up until now. I've tried to replicate the environment on my new Mac, but I don't think this is possible without spending a lot of time trying to make things work with much newer versions of GCC, as the version I was using (4.9) is not supported anymore. It's a path I'd rather not pursue right now, so what I'll do is dust off my old Mac which has a working build setup, and produce an Intel build like before. That should still work fine on ARM Macs as disoriented pointed out. I'll try to get it out this week.
06-29-2022 at 06:22 PM
disoriented
slimm tom wrote:
Sorry for not getting to this up until now. I've tried to replicate the environment on my new Mac, but I don't think this is possible without spending a lot of time trying to make things work with much newer versions of GCC, as the version I was using (4.9) is not supported anymore. It's a path I'd rather not pursue right now, so what I'll do is dust off my old Mac which has a working build setup, and produce an Intel build like before. That should still work fine on ARM Macs as disoriented pointed out. I'll try to get it out this week.

Thank you

06-29-2022 at 11:06 PM
slimm tom

File: drod.5.1.1.436.beta.dmg (14 MB)
Downloaded 46 times.
icon Re: TSS 5.1.1 (+5)  
Attached is a new build (436). Same disclaimer as always applies regarding the .dat files.
07-02-2022 at 01:53 PM
disoriented
Thank you. This 5.1.1.436 Mac build seems to work pretty well.

I'll test it out over the next few weeks to see if this one is less "crashy" than the previous 5.1.1.409 build.

07-13-2022 at 06:58 AM
averagemoe
So... is there any reason to still wait?

10-04-2022 at 05:45 AM
hyperme
averagemoe wrote:
So... is there any reason to still wait?

Yes. If you take the minimal amount of time it takes to look at recent topics on the Bugs board, new crashes have been discovered in the Mac builds. Obviously, they need to be fixed. By someone who isn't me since I can't fix Mac-only issued.

10-04-2022 at 07:37 AM
disoriented
icon Re: TSS 5.1.1 (+5)  
The 5.1.1.436 Mac build works fairly well most of the time, but it has some crashing bugs (like this) which make it impossible to complete some rooms.
An example is in the newly-released hold "Copious Devastation". The first room on the second level causes a crash and it cannot be bypassed.

As a workaround, there is a "free" way of running the Windows version of DROD TSS on Apple Silicon Macs.

This version of VMWare Fusion is currently available as a tech preview for testing purposes:
VMWare Fusion 22H2 Tech Preview

It successfully runs the developer build of Windows 11 for ARM (available from Microsoft's Insider Program or from other places on the web). There are some special steps to get it to work, which are documented on the VMWare site here.

I was able to get the Windows version of DROD running inside Windows 11 for ARM within VMWare Fusion. Sound and music work too.

10-14-2022 at 05:46 PM
averagemoe
icon Re: TSS 5.1.1 (-1)  
I've never been one to be afraid of addressing the elephant in the room, so I'm going to say it.

The file attached to slimm tom's last post is a patch for DROD RPG.

10-21-2022 at 02:09 AM
Page 4 of 6
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : TSS 5.1.1
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes