Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : TSS 5.1.1
Page 3 of 6
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
bbb
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 215
IP: Logged
icon Re: TSS 5.1.1 (0)  
Thanks.

There are actually 4 types of png files. Grayscale, RGB, RGBA, and palette. RGB being 24 bit color but no alpha channel. An alpha channel can be created in these images by choosing some color to be transparent. From some debugging I tried, it seems that some of the loaded images are RGB and not RGBA, and couldn't find any place where the trans_values varaible was set.

I'll try to look at it later.

[Last edited by bbb at 11-25-2020 04:35 PM]
11-25-2020 at 04:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
bbb wrote:
From some debugging I tried, it seems that some of the loaded images are RGB and not RGBA, and couldn't find any place where the trans_values varaible was set.
I recall tripping over that issue at some points in the past (edit: probably when getting things to work with SDL2 for Steam). Adding the alpha channel to these images was how I corrected this issue.

(Hmm...if there are still PNGs without an alpha channel, I'm not sure how this has been working on Windows and in Steam builds up to this point.)

If it makes sense and is possible, feel free to add code to implicitly convert loaded RGB PNGs to RGBA.

I'm unsure whether that might cause other issues in various in-game transparency handling. If it does, a fallback option is to provide the list of PNG images that don't have an alpha channel and I'll correct all of these in the canonical repo.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 11-25-2020 07:06 PM]
11-25-2020 at 06:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
bbb
icon Re: TSS 5.1.1 (+1)  
I think my data file is from an old demo. That could be the problem.

It would still be a good idea to try to fix it, because you don't control all PNGs which can be used with the game. I'll try some more.

The SDL version moved to SDL2 since my active compiled version.

[Last edited by bbb at 11-25-2020 07:06 PM]
11-25-2020 at 06:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
bbb wrote:
I think my data file is from an old demo. That could be the problem.
Ah, gotcha. Then it's possible there isn't any code regression in play here. If you can reproduce the issue with current published 1.2.7+ data files, please share.

[Last edited by mrimer at 11-25-2020 07:08 PM]
11-25-2020 at 07:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
bbb
Is it possible to download the data files without downloading and installing the demo?

Is there a reason the code for reading the PNG images is mixed with the code for creating the surface?

[Last edited by bbb at 11-25-2020 08:14 PM]
11-25-2020 at 07:40 PM
mrimer
bbb wrote:
Is it possible to download the data files without downloading and installing the demo?
No, sorry.
Is there a reason the code for reading the PNG images is mixed with the code for creating the surface?
IIRC, this functionality was implemented by Trick once upon a time, and I don't recall what the design decisions were for the implementation. However, I don't really understand what reading a PNG image would mean outside of the context of putting it into a surface. Where else would the image be placed?

11-25-2020 at 11:40 PM
kieranmillar
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2670
mrimer wrote:
kieranmillar wrote:
SDL2.dll and SDL2_ttf.dll are missing from the installer and DROD will not run. Previous stable version uses SDL1 (I think Steam always uses SDL2, am surprised the non-Steam version did not until now).
Thanks for reporting this.

Here is an updated installer including all the .dll files, plus the newest fixes.
Can we try another patch based on whatever the latest codebase is? I haven't been able to verify any changes since the move to SDL2 because of patch installer problems and nobody else is doing it, it would be a shame for development to stall out now given how close we are.
12-10-2020 at 06:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer

File: drod.5.1.1.beta.2020-12-14.zip (2.7 MB)
Downloaded 67 times.
License: Public Domain
Yes, of course. Thank you! Here's a new simple zipped patch with all merged changes (up to PR #371).

Edit: I think skell's taking some time away from DROD development for a bit. I'm unsure of the status on overall 5.1.1 demo validation, but when he's back, I expect we'll make the final push to get 5.1.1 out the door.

[Last edited by mrimer at 12-14-2020 01:45 PM]
12-14-2020 at 01:43 PM
Dragomir7
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 19
mrimer wrote:
Yes, of course. Thank you! Here's a new simple zipped patch with all merged changes (up to PR #371).

Edit: I think skell's taking some time away from DROD development for a bit. I'm unsure of the status on overall 5.1.1 demo validation, but when he's back, I expect we'll make the final push to get 5.1.1 out the door.

Eagerly awaiting the update! ;)
03-29-2021 at 08:07 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Trying to get back to focusing on getting 5.1.1 out the door. There are some open issues it would be nice to button up before publishing an official release.

Pending changes in the next upcoming beta patch:

+ Fix regression: Error beeps and death when pushing Halph. Topic PR

[Last edited by mrimer at 07-26-2021 08:19 PM]
07-26-2021 at 08:19 PM
Xindaris
Rank Points: 1531
As you're interested in pushing this out the door, I would really like to call attention to some weird instability that's been going on with hold imports in general in the prerelease version. There's a thread or two about this already, and one hold I've been working on recently absolutely refuses to update itself. That is, even if I tell it to replace the old version with the new one, it'll happily report it did when it clearly didn't. And if I delete it and re-import it as a workaround, that does work, but it also has a tendency to crash drod in the process despite successfully importing the hold.

Here are some links to Things!
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by Xindaris at 07-26-2021 10:20 PM]
07-26-2021 at 10:19 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
Rank Points: 3734
This is marked as not a bug but it's very much a bug. It's most likely been caused by updating to a higher version of the PNG library: http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=45004

07-28-2021 at 10:34 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
hyperme
Rank Points: 1064

File: drod.5.1.1_408x.zip (1.5 MB)
Downloaded 44 times.
icon Re: TSS 5.1.1 (+3)  
In the interest of moving things along and getting more fixes confirmed, here is a "bootleg" build of 5.1.1 without CNet. Contains all changes up to PR#408. Important changes are:

Fix for strange behaviour after pushing Halph
Fix for custom styles no longer displaying transparency correctly
Human-type monsters now treat puffs as obstacles

You can also click on horns to see where they will spawn a guy, or on Stalwart, Solider, Engineer and Citizen going to build markers to see what path they are trying.

[Last edited by hyperme at 08-29-2021 03:25 PM]
08-29-2021 at 03:21 PM
Dragon Fogel
Rank Points: 2434
Tested the above executable. Can confirm the following:

-Halph no longer produces an error beep or kills himself when pushed onto his own path; tested and confirmed with both versions of Halph
-Both versions of Halph pathfind around puffs
-Citizen going to relay stations will pathfind through puffs but not walk through them
-Citizen going to build marker will pathfind around puff; so will engineer
-Guards will pathfind through puffs but not walk through them
-Slayers (including 39th Slayer) will pathfind around puffs
-Stalwarts and soldiers will pathfind around puffs
-Brained roach still walks through puffs (just a quick test to make sure other changes didn't affect this behavior somehow)
-Both squad horns and soldier horns can be clicked on to see tile the new entity will enter from
-Citizens and engineers going to build markers can be clicked on to show current path
-Soldiers and stalwarts can be clicked on to show current path

Unless I overlooked something, that should cover everything requested except the transparency issue. How should I go about checking that?
09-04-2021 at 05:35 AM
hyperme
For the styles, the linked thread shows that the Lava style from the AE style pack is broken, and says that Cavern similarly broken.

It would be best to check if those style now display correctly, with arrows/trapdoors being correctly transparent instead of embedded in grey blobs.

09-04-2021 at 09:09 AM
Dragon Fogel
Okay, tested that now. Force arrows (in all directions) and trapdoors next to pits show up properly in Lava and Cavern without any gray filler.
09-04-2021 at 05:40 PM
hyperme
Thanks for confirming all the fixes/changes. Hopefully 5.1.1 is reaching the point where it can have a release candidate.

I don't think there are any pressing issues that need to dealt with at this point.

09-04-2021 at 06:20 PM
Dragon Fogel
Just to be extra sure, I did another test with Halphs (both types), slayers (both types), stalwarts, soldiers, citizen, engineers where the non-puff path was definitively longer. The route through the puff was avoided in all cases.
09-04-2021 at 06:59 PM
Dragon Fogel
icon Re: TSS 5.1.1 (+2)  
And one final check to make sure a situation didn't get overlooked somehow: test all those entities when a puff is the only obstacle blocking their path to an objective.

Everything worked as expected based on the new rules. Stalwarts, soldiers, both Halphs, and engineers did not move. Citizen went for another relay station when the only build marker was blocked by a puff. Slayers did not use the wisp, moved as they do when they have no direct path to Beethro, and stopped moving when next to the puffs.
09-05-2021 at 12:24 AM
mrimer
Thank you for testing and validating these use cases! So glad to hear we're ready for another 5.1.1 RC. I'll plan to post an RC patch installer here tomorrow.

09-06-2021 at 04:06 AM
mrimer

File: drod.5.1.1.beta.2021-09-07.zip (2.8 MB)
Downloaded 49 times.
Here's an updated binary (.dll files should be identical to previous version) for patching to PR 408.

When the functionality of this version is verified as containing what hyperme's build has (plus CaravelNet, naturally), I'll post a patch installer, and following that, an official release.

Edit: This actually patches to PR 409. I have the number wrong on the build, but it includes the 409 fix. (Hyperme, your build actually includes the 409 fix also, correct?) I'll fix the build number in the RC patch installer if everything besides the wrong number is okay.

[Last edited by mrimer at 09-07-2021 02:37 PM]
09-07-2021 at 01:31 PM
hyperme
Good to see the 5.1.1 release happening.

One last thing to sort out is that Take Five: Duplication Desert: 1W requires a room change, as Guards will no longer step onto puffs. I'm not sure of the process here, especially since the hold author, Insoluble, hasn't be around in a while.

09-07-2021 at 02:33 PM
mrimer
hyperme wrote:
Good to see the 5.1.1 release happening.
Thank you for moving it forward to the finish line!
One last thing to sort out is that Take Five: Duplication Desert: 1W requires a room change, as Guards will no longer step onto puffs. I'm not sure of the process here, especially since the hold author, Insoluble, hasn't be around in a while.
I haven't made hold updates; would skell or whoever has most recently handled this please help?

09-07-2021 at 02:36 PM
Dragon Fogel
More specifically, it's not just fixing that one room, it's running the demos against the new version to find any other rooms where demos break, and either confirming they're still solvable or making fixed versions if they aren't.

We did a round of this already; I assume the same rooms will be flagged again, but we can also check the same demos or replacement rooms that were made last time around to make sure those still work.
09-07-2021 at 08:07 PM
slimm tom
Rank Points: 1228

File: drod.5.1.1.409.beta.dmg (14 MB)
Downloaded 52 times.
icon Re: TSS 5.1.1 (+5)  
I'm still here! Managed to get the setup running again today, and ran a build with the latest code changes for both the drod and CN repo's. It's working for me on OS X 11.6.

I've attached the build (without .dat file) to this post. Can someone with a Mac verify that it works on their system? It's been a while since I've done this so I might have messed something up.
10-14-2021 at 06:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
disoriented
Rank Points: 2386
icon Re: TSS 5.1.1 (+5)  
I'm using macOS 11.6 as well, so I gave this a try.

The directions again:

- Find your existing "official" copy of DROD 5.1, right-click it, and select Show Package Contents. Navigate to the subfolder Contents > Resources > Data and copy the drod5_0.dat file out someplace.

- Download the beta of TSS 5.1.1 and copy the .app file to your disk. Do a Show Package Contents on this file and copy the drod5_0.dat to the same location inside this app package (Contents > Resources > Data).

- After doing the above, remember that double-clicking the app will not work (you'll see this error). Right click the app and choose open, and you'll see this dialog instead (click Open).

- If you're worried about the beta corrupting your player data, you may want to back up the following folder before testing, which contains your player data: /Users/home folder/Library/Application Support/Caravel/drod-5_0/

I was able to get the build working on Big Sur, and it even worked with Caravelnet successfully. I did get it a crash when downloading a hold from CNet, although that might not be specific to the beta code. I've seen official releases crash when importing holds, especially into a player data file that's pretty large and old like mine is.

General gameplay seemed to work great, sound and music included. I'd say this is a pretty successful test so far!

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.

[Last edited by disoriented at 10-14-2021 10:04 PM]
10-14-2021 at 10:03 PM
mrimer
Thank you for testing, disoriented. Excellent progress, slimm tom!

So happy to hear we now have a new 5.1.1 build, and one that works on Big Sur. This will make a lot of Mac players happy.

Let's you and I coordinate via email (etc) about how to help you build some official packages for Steam and non-Steam builds.

[Last edited by mrimer at 10-19-2021 03:52 PM]
10-19-2021 at 03:51 PM
NoahT
Rank Points: 1133
Will the new Mac build still work with Catalina? Not that upgrading to Big Sur would be an issue, I'm just wondering if installing the new build won't keep it from running in the meantime.

My stuff:
Click here to view the secret text

10-19-2021 at 08:29 PM
slimm tom
Rank Points: 1228
NoahT wrote:
Will the new Mac build still work with Catalina? Not that upgrading to Big Sur would be an issue, I'm just wondering if installing the new build won't keep it from running in the meantime.
In theory the build I produced should work on versions 10.14 and up, so this includes Catalina. I have no way to test that at present though, but you should be able to using the instructions provided by disoriented. If it doesn't work you can always revert to the build you are using now.

mrimer wrote:
Let's you and I coordinate via email (etc) about how to help you build some official packages for Steam and non-Steam builds.
Sure!
10-20-2021 at 11:01 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
hyperme

File: drod.5.1.1_424x.zip (1.5 MB)
Downloaded 45 times.
icon Re: TSS 5.1.1 (+4)  
New CNet-less build. Should contain fixes related to the following threads:

Halph/Slayer Entrance inconsistencies

Editor inconsistencies
Beethro can enter rooms on lightposts and relay stations
Pushing different sorts of clones into water
Quirks with force arrows, armed entities, and daggers

Also, Puff player roles should die when moving onto hot tiles.

Ideally, this should be as close to the Actual Final Really This Time Build as possible. I'm deferring any other bug fixes to 5.2, unless they are serious room-breaking or crash-causing problems introduced by 5.1.1 changes.

12-18-2021 at 03:01 PM
Page 3 of 6
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : TSS 5.1.1
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com