Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Watch navithmastero Play DROD! (Just another DROD LP series)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
navithmastero
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 596
IP: Logged
icon Watch navithmastero Play DROD! (+6)  
Hello everyone!

For a little while now I've been wanting to do my own DROD LP series similar to those which a number of other members of the forum are known for. I finally got round to recording my first episode yesterday and it has now been uploaded. One of the reasons for doing a video series like this is also to try and help with difficulties I have in vocalising my thought process and explanations of things so I'm hoping that as I record more episodes I'll get better at that. Hope you enjoy!

Also, please let me know if you've got any suggestions as to how I could improve / make the videos more fun for the viewer!

Edit: I've uploaded a bunch more parts since then so you can check them out on my channel if you want.

One of your local HAs.

My stuff:
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by navithmastero at 09-14-2020 05:52 PM]
09-13-2020 at 01:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Illusionist
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 165
icon Re: Watch navithmastero Play DROD! (+1)  
yay! I will watch it, I hope that you have some one-liners in the vid

the more let plas, the better,

[Last edited by Illusionist at 09-21-2020 12:39 PM]
09-13-2020 at 04:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mauvebutterfly
Rank Points: 720
Neat. Looking forward to seeing this.

09-13-2020 at 11:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
navithmastero
icon Re: Watch navithmastero Play DROD! (0)  
Hope you both enjoy.

I'm currently still finding my feet so to speak and getting used to being 'on camera' so these first few episodes are a little rough around the edges but on the plus side the authenticity is there! Hopefully as I get more comfortable with recording and stuff I will improve and become a more natural host. Gotta start somewhere though right!

One of your local HAs.

My stuff:

09-13-2020 at 11:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
I like that accent of yours and good quality of the voice recording. I am going to give it a serious go because apparently I need more DROD in my life!

09-14-2020 at 09:40 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mauvebutterfly
Been a while since I've recorded, but I think that setting Steam to either busy or offline still gets you achievement pop-ups without getting notifications or messages from other people. If I had to guess, "busy" is what I normally used when recording, since "offline" might disable the achievement notifications.

09-14-2020 at 10:35 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
navithmastero
skell wrote:
I like that accent of yours and good quality of the voice recording. I am going to give it a serious go because apparently I need more DROD in my life!

Hah! I've got a pretty neutral accent (except when my brummie twang makes an appearance!), and already had a good mic for music stuff so thankfully was able to use that. Also since I'm on desktop rather than laptop, ambient noise (e.g fans) isn't really an issue. Unfortunately, even the greatest microphone in the world won't stop the dogs from barking! Hope you enjoy!

mauvebutterfly wrote:
Been a while since I've recorded, but I think that setting Steam to either busy or offline still gets you achievement pop-ups without getting notifications or messages from other people. If I had to guess, "busy" is what I normally used when recording, since "offline" might disable the achievement notifications.

Thanks for this, I wasn't aware that that was the case. I don't have loads of friends (hah) on Steam so hopefully it wasn't too distracting for the episodes I've already recorded.

One of your local HAs.

My stuff:

[Last edited by navithmastero at 09-14-2020 05:55 PM]
09-14-2020 at 03:51 PM
mauvebutterfly
It's more of an issue for me since I have one friend in particular who messages me on steam a lot.

09-14-2020 at 08:48 PM
navithmastero
icon Re: Watch navithmastero Play DROD! (+4)  
So... I ended up finishing the game (at least to a standard that I'm satisfied with) today, that means I've mastered it and done nearly all of the challenges on camera for you all to see.

Now then, I want to move onto another hold and start doing that as soon as I can. Please let me know on this thread (or in chat) if you have any suggestions as to holds that you think would make for good Let's Playing and I'll take all suggestions into consideration. If I don't see anything that takes my fancy (or don't get any suggestions), I'll probably do one of the official holds, although whether that's an SMS or an 'engine release', I've yet to decide.

Just for reminders, you can find my channel here, and if you click on 'Playlists' you can see my JtRH playlist for watching the LP in order.

One of your local HAs.

My stuff:

[Last edited by navithmastero at 09-20-2020 05:20 PM]
09-20-2020 at 05:19 PM
Xindaris
Rank Points: 1531
If you haven't already played it, I'm sorely tempted to suggest playing Fart 2.0 just so I can see someone's first-time reaction to it. But, I'm sure there are much better suggestions than that.

Here are some links to Things!

09-20-2020 at 05:43 PM
skell
I'd love another LP of my DROD Touch because it's awesome and cool

09-20-2020 at 07:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Nuntar
Rank Points: 4591
Since you just played JtRH, a natural next step would be to choose from the best usermade holds from that era, particularly ones that haven't been Let's Played yet. I don't have a list of all the holds that Jeff and Alex have covered -- that would be a useful resource, but it would take quite a long time to compile :P But I'll have a quick look through the Holds list in chronological order and see what catches my eye...

Simon's Dungeon
The Domain of the Grinfidel
Great Uncle Yurgess's Hold
Odd Jobs
Seasons
Chaco's Hold

Who knows, do enough of these and you could become the next Jeff_Ray :P

09-20-2020 at 11:59 PM
ThemsAllTook
Rank Points: 207
icon Re: Watch navithmastero Play DROD! (+5)  
I don't have a list of all the holds that Jeff and Alex have covered -- that would be a useful resource, but it would take quite a long time to compile :P
Not sure about Jeff's list, but I can provide my own pretty easily:

09-21-2020 at 02:47 AM
mauvebutterfly
icon Re: Watch navithmastero Play DROD! (+2)  
If your goal is to avoid doing what other LPers have done, I guess I should include my own list. It's mostly just contest compilations though.

As far as custom holds go, the I Ching Contest was an interesting hold from the AE era. I remember really enjoying that one, although I'm sure there were a few rough spots.

Since we seem to be recommending our own holds here, I guess I'd recommend... uh... actually I haven't ever released anything. I guess The Untold Tales of Gunthro Budkin was pretty cool though.

edit: Contest holds in general are pretty good because you get a good variety of stuff (usually short entries) to play through, and multiple architects get to see their stuff get played. Funnily enough, both my recommendations ended up being contests that I don't think anyone has done for Youtube and that I won't ever be doing since I've already played them.

[Last edited by mauvebutterfly at 09-21-2020 07:58 AM]
09-21-2020 at 07:54 AM
navithmastero
Thanks for all the comments everyone!

Alex and Mauve, your lists are super helpful. While I don't have a steadfast rule when it comes to doing holds which has already been LP'd, that information is super useful as, for example, if I was undecided between two holds and found that one had been LP'd already and one hadn't, I'd probably end up playing the one that hadn't.

I really like Nuntar's suggestion of playing a well-rated hold from the era of the official hold I just played. I seemed to end up talking about the 'philosophy' of DROD architecture and how it has changed over time quite a bit in my JtRH LP so I'm sure I'd enjoy musing more on the subject by playing another usermade hold from that sort of era.

I also appreciate your suggestions too, Xindaris and Skell. From my understanding these two projects are a bit different to everything else as they aren't really DROD in the traditional sense. This could make for a really cool let's play experience also - it could be a nice break from a longer, quite difficult hold, to play these holds with different mechanics than would otherwise be seen in a more traditional DROD hold.

I'll leave my decision for a bit longer and then maybe make my decision and start something tomorrow so if anyone else has any suggestions then get them in now!

Note also that just because the next hold I play isn't the one you suggested, doesn't mean that I won't do your hold at some point in the future!

Oh! One more thing, I *love* RPG, so if people want to see that then I'm more than happy to do that too, but I'm just not sure whether people actually want to see that so let me know thoughts on this also.

Thanks again all.

One of your local HAs.

My stuff:

[Last edited by navithmastero at 09-21-2020 04:02 PM]
09-21-2020 at 03:27 PM
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1911
I vote for traditional drod.
I'm not that into RPG (probably because I'm terrible at it).
09-21-2020 at 05:23 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
larrymurk wrote:
I vote for traditional drod.
I'm not that into RPG (probably because I'm terrible at it).
I am also super terrible at RPG but I like watching others be smarter than I am in this game!

09-21-2020 at 05:28 PM
hyperme
Rank Points: 1062
I am barely okay at DROD RPG so watching people who know what they're doing complete Level Sets I can't is nice. Also it means I am blissfully ignorant of any mistakes they make.

anyway if you play DROD RPG it would be interesting to see one of the Hold Anonymous collaboration holds. (or maybe even Get Your Stuff Back if you are okay with scorepoints that don't work)

09-21-2020 at 05:55 PM
navithmastero
So - I made a decision as to what I want to pursue and a schedule I'd like to roughly follow in the future.

I'm planning to alternate between a traditional DROD hold (e.g. JtRH, TSS, any 'normal' usermade hold pretty much) and a non-traditional DROD hold (e.g. RPG, DROD touch, Fart 2.0 etc.). I feel that at least for now this is a good way to balance out DROD playing without ending up feeling burnt out as I've played lots of one kind of DROD. It also means I get to explore other projects which otherwise I might not getting round to doing.

With that in mind, I started a new series a couple of days ago - it's just the second half of RPG, so nothing super exciting but I explain my decision a bit more in the video which you can find here or below:

One of your local HAs.

My stuff:

09-25-2020 at 11:13 PM
navithmastero
I finished my RPG let's play last week so in case you missed any of those videos you can check out the playlist using this link!

For my next traditional DROD hold I decided to go for ...she'll carry a really big sword by Insoluble. You can watch it on youtube here or below. Hope you enjoy!

One of your local HAs.

My stuff:

[Last edited by navithmastero at 10-08-2020 12:42 PM]
10-08-2020 at 12:41 PM
navithmastero
icon Re: Watch navithmastero Play DROD! (+4)  
Just a quick heads up - I've just finished my Let's Play of ...She'll Carry a Really Big Sword. Sorry for the delay in those last few videos. I've had university exams as well as some additional stresses to deal with (example - someone drove into my car which has subsequently been written off) so even when I've had time I've not necessarily been in the mood for DROD. Now that term has finished though I've got a bit more time so I may see if I can get another LP done soonish - possibly Hold Anonymous since people seemed to be interested in RPG.

You can find the SCARBS playlist here.

One of your local HAs.

My stuff:

[Last edited by navithmastero at 12-10-2020 01:05 PM]
12-10-2020 at 01:05 PM
navithmastero
With the release of Treacle Stew, I'm back doing an LP. You can find the first episode here (I have also recorded up to episode 3 and these will be up shortly as well):

and the playlist, along with my other LPs are here

https://www.youtube.com/@danielhiggins4355/playlists

One of your local HAs.

My stuff:

[Last edited by navithmastero at 12-16-2022 09:40 AM]
12-08-2022 at 11:02 AM
enzi666
Rank Points: 161
Already subbed. Very nice LP! You are figuring things out very fast.

DROD AE: Finished - KDD2: Mastered
JTRH: Mastered
TCB: Mastered - RPG: Finished
GatEB: Mastered - TSS: Mastered
12-16-2022 at 04:17 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
navithmastero
icon Re: Watch navithmastero Play DROD! (+3)  
Thanks Enzi- I was pleased with how things went, especially considering how rusty I am! Just a quick note for everyone, sorry for the delay of the next episode, I've had COVID and have not been well enough to record, fingers crossed I'll be back to it shortly!

One of your local HAs.

My stuff:

[Last edited by navithmastero at 12-16-2022 02:30 PM]
12-16-2022 at 08:15 AM
averagemoe
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 487
I should hope so. I haven't received my own copy yet, and I really want to see my big scene as the voice of 100th Tar Technician.

12-17-2022 at 04:14 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Watch navithmastero Play DROD! (Just another DROD LP series)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com