Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : wormFX final
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
shurcooL
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 40
IP: Logged
icon wormFX final (0)  
well, like promised, here's the final version of wormFX, a final project for one of my classes. :D

it's not really final since i just finished it today, and it's due tomorrow, so i didn't have much time to test it...

which is why i'm asking u ppl to look over it, and see if there's anything suspiciously wrong with it (ie. a bug). if u notice anything of such nature, please post here.

but before u do so, please note this: the worm can pass through stones and stuff on purpose, the game would be too hard + random otherwise. so that's not a bug. just imagine that the rocks are all in the background and thus the worm is smart enough to avoid them in the invisible 3rd dimension. :P

without further ado,

http://members.rogers.com/shurcool/game_final.swf

06-12-2003 at 04:18 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
icon Re: wormFX final (0)  
Not really a bug, but just a suggestion: it would be nice if there was more of a pause between hitting play and the worm starting to move...especially on the higher difficulties I died before I even knew the worm was moving. Or also you could start out with a big open space to get the player used to the controls before going into the tunnel (espcially since the gravity increases on the higher difficulties).

Good job though!

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
06-12-2003 at 05:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
icon Re: Re: wormFX final (0)  
Oneiromancer wrote:
Not really a bug, but just a suggestion: it would be nice if there was more of a pause between hitting play and the worm starting to move...especially on the higher difficulties I died before I even knew the worm was moving. Or also you could start out with a big open space to get the player used to the controls before going into the tunnel (espcially since the gravity increases on the higher difficulties).
Yeah, I think the open space at the beginning would work best. Maybe throw some apples out there to give the player something to aim for, and start in with the mountains after ten seconds or so.

But the game is pretty decent.

-Erik

06-12-2003 at 06:43 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
shurcooL
i guess you're right, since, apparently, people who are new to this game find 'easy' difficulty level hard. =\\ for me, hard is too easy, and it gets boring until i get to the challenging part (i play SFCave on my Palm a lot, so yeah...).

here's what i'll do: i'l make the cave in hard VERY wide at first, and after 5 secs or so it will get a lot thinner (ie. size down to what easy cave width currently is).

i just hope my teacher won't find the game too hard. :P

expect v1.1 soon.

06-12-2003 at 07:48 PM
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
Well, let me just add that I have played SFCave and other similar games many times, but it still takes a little time to get used to the personal gravities and other idiosyncracies of each game. Also, I would rather use the spacebar instead of the mouse, and so when I click on "play" and then try to move my hand over to the space bar (I want to use my right hand), in that short time I am usually dead on hard difficulty. That's all I was really trying to say.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
06-12-2003 at 08:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
shurcooL
icon Re: Re: wormFX final (0)  
Oneiromancer wrote:
Well, let me just add that I have played SFCave and other similar games many times, but it still takes a little time to get used to the personal gravities and other idiosyncracies of each game.

yes, that's very true. i 100% agree.

Also, I would rather use the spacebar instead of the mouse, and so when I click on "play" and then try to move my hand over to the space bar (I want to use my right hand), in that short time I am usually dead on hard difficulty. That's all I was really trying to say.

well, that's half-fixed already. once u die, u don't have to click 'play again', u can just press spacebar to reset it. i'll make it so that u can also press spacebar while in main menu to play.

thanks for the suggestion.

06-12-2003 at 08:41 PM
ross
Rank Points: 30
1348 : I suck at this. Much better at Mr Minters games but I'll keep trying.

06-12-2003 at 09:35 PM
shurcooL
v1.1 is out. same url, hit ctrl+f5 to refresh it should say v1.1 in top right corner of main menu.

fixed everything (i hope) 'cept the easy level being too hard. most importantly, u can now press spacebar from within the main menu (any menu, actually) to start a new game.

now, sorry everyone for being inactive and lasy, i'll work extra hard now on my clie clone. i'm finally getting back to programming, so things should go smoothly now.

i'll be reading through the recent posts and will try to figure out what i've missed... will start by learning about this new DROD:AE. =\\

07-06-2003 at 09:58 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : wormFX final
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No