Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : More attack tile options (plus some related game effects)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Kaelyn
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 76
IP: Logged
icon More attack tile options (+5)  
The "attack tile" command is useful, but it could be even better. Here are my thoughts:

Partial stun. The target acts like they were hit but not pushed by a blunt weapon, so they can't take an action on this turn. (I'd love if this could affect large creatures like snakes and rock giants!)

Full stun. The target acts like they were hit and pushed by a blunt weapon, so they can't take an action on this turn or the next. (This command won't actually try to move the target anywhere -- that would be a separate command. And again, I hope this can stun the unstunnable.)

Burn. The target acts like they ended their turn on a hot tile.

Incinerate. The target acts like they ended their turn on an active firetrap.

Drop. The target acts like the floor dropped out from under them. Creatures that can't fly are killed, and objects that can't hover are destroyed. Maybe this could also drop trapdoors.

Drown. The target acts like they were dunked into water. Creatures that can't swim or fly are killed, and objects that can't float are destroyed. Maybe this could also drop trapdoors.

Sink. The target acts like they were dunked into shallow water. Creatures that can't swim, fly, or wade are killed. Objects that can't float are either destroyed or turn the tile into shallow water.

Oremites. The target acts like they ended their turn on oremites. At the moment, this would only affect constructs and construct rubble.

Bump. The target acts like they were bumped by the player. At the moment, this would only affect Halph, but maybe it could trigger orbs if the player role or power token status is appropriate.

Some of these won't make sense without the right audiovisual cues, which is why I want to expand the list of game effects:

Drop. This plays the animation of whatever's on the tile falling into a pit, and optionally plays the whooshing sound.

Drown. This plays the animation of whatever's on the tile falling into water, and optionally plays the splashing sound.

Partial stun. This displays the fading whirls of a partial stun effect. The effect dissolves over a few seconds. The "choose direction" option moves the center of the whirl slightly away from the center of the tile.

Full stun. This displays the persistent whirls of a full stun effect. The effect lasts until the start of the next turn, then either fades in real time or disappears instantly. Again, "choose direction" offsets the animation by a few pixels.

Swirl. Not an addition but a behavior change, specifically this. I think Nuntar makes an excellent case to let the swirl focus on any tile, not just the player.

I think these would make the scripting engine more versatile.
02-10-2020 at 05:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Rabscuttle
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2460
icon Re: More attack tile options (+4)  
Remove - removes the target without killing them. Allows you to remove Halphs and Clones without automatically failing the room.
02-24-2020 at 04:51 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Kaelyn
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 76
icon Re: More attack tile options (+2)  
Gaze. The target acts like it was hit by the gaze attack of an aumtlich. For creatures, this prevents them from moving but not turning. (This might be divided into "gaze: targets only" and "gaze: all creatures" to let the attack act like a default aumtlich gaze, or not.) Gaze also ignites fuse ends without having to blow up everything in the tile. Finally, it also converts cracked orbs into broken orbs without activating them.
02-03-2021 at 12:59 AM
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
icon Re: More attack tile options (+2)  
hyperme added support for some new Attack Tile options for 5.2. Thank you!

PR

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
07-29-2021 at 12:15 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
kieranmillar
Rank Points: 2670
icon Re: More attack tile options (+1)  
Been testing this in 5.2.0.508. I think it's working correctly. Gameplay effects match the attack tile type, e.g. explosion will light fuses and destroy tarstuff, and floor spikes will ignore flying monsters.

I'm not sure if there are meant to be any graphical and sound effects to go with it or if it is up to the user to use game effect for these. If they are not meant ot be there, then mission accomplished.

I cannot tell if the One Turn Stun attack type is meant to be doing anything? As far as I can tell it is not working, including changing the character processing sequence to be earlier. It doesn't stop the monster on the target tile from acting that turn.
06-09-2023 at 11:23 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
hyperme
Rank Points: 1062
icon Re: More attack tile options (+1)  
Catching up with this:

The lack of effects is intentional. The pre-5.2 explosion attack doesn't have an effect, so the new attacks are consistent with that. (Stun effects are produced by the monster getting stunned)

One-turn stun should be working, but due to the internal mechanicisms of stunning works, a monster has to be stunned before it moves for the stun to have an effect.

Non-gentryii large monsters are also immune to stunning by design.

[Last edited by hyperme at 07-24-2023 04:59 PM]
07-24-2023 at 04:58 PM
averagemoe
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 487
icon Re: More attack tile options (0)  
I don't know is all of these are practical. I mean, what would be the logistics of creating a stepping stone outside of shallow water?

07-24-2023 at 07:25 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : More attack tile options (plus some related game effects)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com