Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Steam issues...
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
JLE
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 46
IP: Logged
icon Steam issues... (+2)  
I had originally bought all of the DROD versions (KDD, JTRH, TCB, GATEB, TSS and all the Smitemaster Selections) through Caravel Games. However I have also since got Steam keys for them.

Things I noticed:

The first three games (KDD, JTRH, TCB) and the Smitemaster Selections are all considered to be downloadable content for "Gunthro and the Epic Blunder". There does not appear to be a way to play or install them into the TSS engine (which apparently was possible with the CaravelGames version). (And if there was, would the Steam achievements work anyway?)

I have completed KDD 2.0 again, and got 100% completion. When I go down the final stairs after killing the Neather and the roach, it says "100% of secrets found". However, Steam (and the game itself) is refusing to credit me with the "Master King Dugan's Dungeon" achievement: only the "Complete King Dugan's Dungeon".

One other bit of weirdness, which may or may not be related, is what I can see on the restore points. I have a restore of L25 1W1S (the penultimate room) which says "Total rooms conquered/explored: 366/366". I have a restore of L25 1W (the final room) which says "Total rooms conquered/explored: 366/367" AFTER killing both the Neather and the final roach - even though the room has turned from "red" to "green". It looks like somehow conquering the final room doesn't seem to be working. Doesn't matter whether I load from the final checkpoint, or the room start and re-do it and go down the stairs again, or even the previous room (which says I'm complete up to that point) - I can never make it show 367/367.

I have even reloaded back to level 1 and gone through the black and yellow master walls, to "The End", and explored (and completed) every room in The End area. The count there appears to be weird too. My restore point in the first room says "18/18" (there are 16 rooms in level 1, plus 1S which is behind the master wall which makes 17, I wonder if it's somehow counting this first room as an extra L1 room), my restore point in the SECOND room says "4/4", and all subsequent rooms appear to have a count two higher than it should be: there are 40 rooms in "The End" complex, but the game is telling me I have 42/42. Still, I think these should not be needed to count towards the Steam achievement anyway...

Also, there appears to be no way (should I even want to) to import OTHER holds into my copy of GATEB, which - even after connecting to Caravel.net - does not appear to understand that any non "official" holds exist at all... nor to import the "official" ones into TSS on Steam.

All of which is kinda odd...
12-13-2019 at 12:58 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Dragon Fogel
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2434
icon Re: Steam issues... (+2)  
JLE wrote:
The first three games (KDD, JTRH, TCB) and the Smitemaster Selections are all considered to be downloadable content for "Gunthro and the Epic Blunder". There does not appear to be a way to play or install them into the TSS engine (which apparently was possible with the CaravelGames version). (And if there was, would the Steam achievements work anyway?)

The Steam version of Gunthro uses the same engine as TSS. So the versions you get as DLC are the same as the versions you would download from CaravelNet on a non-Steam version of the game.

JLE wrote:
I have completed KDD 2.0 again, and got 100% completion. When I go down the final stairs after killing the Neather and the roach, it says "100% of secrets found". However, Steam (and the game itself) is refusing to credit me with the "Master King Dugan's Dungeon" achievement: only the "Complete King Dugan's Dungeon".

This is a bug, I think I posted about it but it may have slipped my mind. The mastery achievements work fine if you master the hold after conquering it, but not if you have 100% when you go down the end stairs. There's a simple workaround, though: export your player file, then re-import it. The game will check for mastery in this situation.

JLE wrote:
One other bit of weirdness, which may or may not be related, is what I can see on the restore points. I have a restore of L25 1W1S (the penultimate room) which says "Total rooms conquered/explored: 366/366". I have a restore of L25 1W (the final room) which says "Total rooms conquered/explored: 366/367" AFTER killing both the Neather and the final roach - even though the room has turned from "red" to "green". It looks like somehow conquering the final room doesn't seem to be working. Doesn't matter whether I load from the final checkpoint, or the room start and re-do it and go down the stairs again, or even the previous room (which says I'm complete up to that point) - I can never make it show 367/367.

This is just a weird thing with how the count works. Since you can't leave that room when it's conquered without completing the hold, you're never going to have a save where it's counted.

Not sure what's going on with your other issues.
12-13-2019 at 05:21 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
JLE
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 46
icon Re: Steam issues... (0)  
Dragon Fogel wrote:

The Steam version of Gunthro uses the same engine as TSS. So the versions you get as DLC are the same as the versions you would download from CaravelNet on a non-Steam version of the game.

Yes, they may be the same *versions*, but I have to have two actual separate different *games* on my computer, taking up space.

If I start "DROD: Gunthro and the Epic Blunder", I can play ONLY GatEB, the three prior DROD games, and the Smitemaster's Selections.

If I start "DROD: The Second Sky", I can play ONLY TSS, and player-made holds that are not from Caravel Games.

What I want is to collate these into ONE game, ONE startup icon link to click, ONE place, ONE game rather than TWO.

Dragon Fogel wrote:
This is a bug, I think I posted about it but it may have slipped my mind. The mastery achievements work fine if you master the hold after conquering it, but not if you have 100% when you go down the end stairs. There's a simple workaround, though: export your player file, then re-import it. The game will check for mastery in this situation.
Thanks, now can you explain exactly where to go and what to do to "export your player file" (how, and to where?) and then where to go and what to do to "re-import it"? I can't find the option: I cannot find the place anywhere in the options, where the word "export" or "import" is in fact clickable (it is present but grayed out, in the "Change Location" heading, is this the correct place?)

[Last edited by JLE at 12-15-2019 03:40 AM]
12-15-2019 at 03:37 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Dragon Fogel
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2434
icon Re: Steam issues... (+2)  
JLE wrote:

Yes, they may be the same *versions*, but I have to have two actual separate different *games* on my computer, taking up space.

If I start "DROD: Gunthro and the Epic Blunder", I can play ONLY GatEB, the three prior DROD games, and the Smitemaster's Selections.

If I start "DROD: The Second Sky", I can play ONLY TSS, and player-made holds that are not from Caravel Games.

What I want is to collate these into ONE game, ONE startup icon link to click, ONE place, ONE game rather than TWO.

Then what you want to do is play the non-Steam version. I agree the Steam setup is inconvenient by comparison; it's Valve's fault.

JLE wrote:
Thanks, now can you explain exactly where to go and what to do to "export your player file" (how, and to where?) and then where to go and what to do to "re-import it"? I can't find the option: I cannot find the place anywhere in the options, where the word "export" or "import" is in fact clickable (it is present but grayed out, in the "Change Location" heading, is this the correct place?)

"Change Player" is the relevant option. Then click on Export Saves Only; the difference between this and Export is that it doesn't save demos, but you won't need them, since you're just going to re-import it and it will merge with your existing file that already has the demos.
12-15-2019 at 04:43 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Steam issues...
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com