Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Its just a question of style
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
rothro
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 46
IP: Logged
icon Its just a question of style (+2)  
Hi,

over the many hours I've enjoyed with DROD I noticed that I had
adopted a few habits. Some good (like always pointing your sword
towards the next monster), some bad (like ALWAYS pointing your
sword towards the next monster when you need efficiency) and some
totally pointless. For example, I always walk down exit stairs in
the very center of the stairs, sword pointed ahead. Don't know
why, it just feels wrong to do it differently. Really wrong.

In fact, I even find myself tutting if the exit stairs has an
even number of tiles making me decide which centermost tile is
the best compromise.

So, all you highly individual individualists out there, what are
your personal styles? Good ones, Bad ones and Silly, Pointless
ones? Especially the latter so I don't feel so alone?

Cheers,
Rothro

11-30-2004 at 04:12 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Maurog
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1501
icon Re: Its just a question of style (0)  
Funny you should mention that, but I also use the center tile of the stairs and the sword in front :)
As for the bad stairs with even width they really feel wrong. I shift the sword and take Beethro+sword to the two center tiles, but that doesn't cut it. I think even width stairs should be banned.

11-30-2004 at 04:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
The_Red_Hawk
Rank Points: 783
Yeah, it's actually the same for me. For that reason, I really didn't like the Dugan's level 16 exit room, as I had to come down the side.

Besides, it just doesn't feel right. Beethro descending into the darkness walking backwards? Come on. :D

The red hawk's dance of death.

.....the king of the skies.....
11-30-2004 at 05:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
rothro
Hooray,

another one who hears the voices: they can't just be in my
head, then. :) If we get one more to agree we can write an
addition to the architect's style guide saying that exit
stairs need to be an odd number of tiles in width and
petition the forces that are to include it on the page.

Cheers
Rothro

11-30-2004 at 05:26 PM
bradwall
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 423
I also go down the stairs face forward down the center.

However, there is one other thing that I do. Whenever I play through the end of the game, I, (for some reason or another) HAVE to play the end both ways (for those who have completed the game will know what I mean).

Click here to view the secret text

11-30-2004 at 05:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
AlefBet
Rank Points: 979
icon Re: Its just a question of style (+2)  
Well, I guess it's time for a contrary viewpoint. I generally enter staircases on the square that gives me minimal distance to travel. In case of ties, I prefer straight movements to diagonal movements (so maybe I'm brained, perhaps?), and I only rotate my sword when necessary, so my sword points every which way when I go down the stairs. This may also mean that my sword is pointing pretty far away from an approaching horde of monsters as I approach, until only a few squares away. But I find this allows me more information to decide which angle to take the sword to the monsters at. I can decide whether I'll need to do a lot of backswiping, or whether backswiping would get me killed and I need a diagonal sword for a strategic retreat. In such situations, oftentimes odd/even square counts matter and it's easier to get a good feel for what you have to work with when you're closer to the horde.

Aesthetically, I prefer even widthed staircases, and I expect I often make my staircases powers of two wide. Perhaps that's the programmer in me, but in any event I don't see a reason to officially censure a particular size. I also mostly look on it as a game, a set of puzzles, and from that POV, any square on the staircase is a valid objective and will take you to the same entrance on the next level.

But if you want to create meaning in the staircase dimensions, a two wide staircase could be a mood-setting device in which Beethro must choose whether to go down the right half or the left and deal with the inherent uncertainty.

++Adam H. Peterson
11-30-2004 at 05:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
rothro
AlefBet wrote:
Well, I guess it's time for a contrary viewpoint. [...] In such situations, oftentimes odd/even square counts matter and it's easier to get a good feel for what you have to work with when you're closer to the horde.

If you say odd/even square counts, do I sense a handle on horde movement rules that I'm not aware of?

Aesthetically, I prefer even widthed staircases, and I expect I often make my staircases powers of two wide. Perhaps that's the programmer in me, but in any event I don't see a reason to officially censure a particular size.
nonononono... Maybe I should have slapped a few more smileys on that, its not a serious proposal!

I also mostly look on it as a game, a set of puzzles, and from that POV, any square on the staircase is a valid objective and will take you to the same entrance on the next level.

That's why I like to call it a SPOS (Silly point of style) :)

But if you want to create meaning in the staircase dimensions, a two wide staircase could be a mood-setting device in which Beethro must choose whether to go down the right half or the left and deal with the inherent uncertainty.

Ah, but that is easy, because as we all know a roach crossing your path from left to right is bad luck. Oh look, now it's turned toward me.
And it's brought its mates. Aaaagrgqwqwqwqwqwqw[:qw:] :fun

Cheers
Rothro

12-01-2004 at 09:31 AM
Malarame
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 220
Am I the only one who doesn't care what Beethro looks like walking down stairs, or in which direction he does it?

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception."
-Groucho Marx
12-01-2004 at 01:58 PM
rowrow
Rank Points: 432
Maybe. I like to go down stairs from the side if possible.If not I will go down the stairs from the middle with beethro walking backwards.

[Edited by rowrow at Local Time:12-01-2004 at 04:04 PM: dwn]

12-01-2004 at 04:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
TripleM
Rank Points: 1373
I don't even watch Beethro walking down the stairs; I move him onto them then press another key and it skips straight to the next level :)
12-01-2004 at 08:23 PM
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
My style is pretty much similar with Alefbet's. Can't find anything to add... I usually skip the stair animation but sometimes I want to congratulate myself for finishing the level and listen it till the end. I've never thought about the stairs and I don't want that to bother me in the future either. (hmm... Left side or right side?)
12-01-2004 at 09:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
rothro
icon Re: Its just a question of style (+1)  
Hi,

the exit stairs was just an example to kick things off:
Does anyone do:

- victory laps in completed tough rooms?
- Sword twirls on exit?
- Preferred sword directions on room entry?
- Compulsive need to try to leave behind as little tar as possible in a room?
- Try to keep as many mimics alive as possible, even after all objectives are achieved?
- Try not to leave a room if a mimic could still be "put back into the bottle"?
- Always try to collapse all (or as many as possible) trapdoors, even if no red doors are present?

I'm guilty of at least three of these, but it seems to be what a hardened dungeon exterminator of Beethro's caliber would do.
None of these are of course required to play or beat the game, but I find it a sign of a great game if a small set of pixels
can make you care about its habits :*) It makes it come alive.

Cheers,
Rothro

12-02-2004 at 10:08 AM
Maurog
Rank Points: 1501
When there are no red doors, I try to collapse as few trapdoors as possible (cutting corners and stuff). I always kill all the mimics I can before leaving the room. And yeah, I try to hack all the tar if I can or at least do my best. When I exit a room, I always exit it sword first, cause, who knows what lurks on the other side.

12-02-2004 at 10:13 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
bdwing
Rank Points: 288
rothro wrote:
Does anyone do:
{snip}
- Try to keep as many mimics alive as possible, even after all objectives are achieved?
- Always try to collapse all (or as many as possible) trapdoors, even if no red doors are present?
Rothro

I usually find myself dropping all the trapdoors before I have even looked to see where the red doors are.
And If the mimics are in the same area as Beethro, I usually slay them as if they were just another roach.
Trying to get rid of all the tar lasted only until I had to replay several rooms because of unreachable tar babies created inadvertantly.

Yes, I need help. It's on my to-do list. :no

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I also like to break all the crumbly-walls.

[Edited by bdwing at Local Time:12-02-2004 at 02:09 PM]

"Until it ends, there is no end."
12-02-2004 at 02:04 PM
rowrow
Rank Points: 432
- Sword twirls on exit?
1=no 2= no 3=no 4= if I am in the mood of it 5=no 6= I only do it if they fit nicely like the nine mimics in KDD level4 7=yes
And a new one: Do you like to kill all the mimics in the room after you completed it?Yes.And if you must know why because I saw whoever did the demos for the demo version (and the regular version as they were the same) of webfoot Drod,for the demo of Level3 3 north,He killed the mimic at the end.And for another question: Do you destroy all the breakable walls? Yes.

[Edited by rowrow at Local Time:12-02-2004 at 03:40 PM: :D]

[Edited by rowrow at Local Time:12-02-2004 at 04:19 PM]

12-02-2004 at 03:39 PM
AlefBet
Rank Points: 979
rothro wrote:
Does anyone do:
Occasionally
- Sword twirls on exit?
No, but I sometimes spin aimlessly in empty rooms (when I'm just messing around).
No
Frequently, unless it's a room with a lot of tar and I've beaten it several times before.
Usually.
Sometimes.
Usually.
bdwing wrote:
I forgot to mention that I also like to break all the crumbly-walls.
Yes, on the first few times through the room. After that, no.

These are some of my tendencies, but most of them go out the window if I start to have difficulty beating any particular room.

++Adam H. Peterson
12-02-2004 at 03:48 PM
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
icon Re: Its just a question of style (+2)  
I'll admit to having extremly weird habits. I have no idea how I picked them up or why I started most of them.

-Choosing a specific tileset depending on mood and hold difficulty (FYI - By tileset I meant mods, such as DRODIS, Neather's Revenge, Default, etc. I usually have DRODIS for fun, DROgue for difficulty, and N.R. for stupidity and weirdness.)
-Using WinAmp with a specific "DROD Music" playlist
-Whenever I get really upset with a room, I'll try attempting the room while wearing sunglasses. I kid you not. :glasses
-I doodle a lot while playing, such as drawing a roach laughing at Beethro because he can't beat the room. :lol
-Making sure Beethro is looking in the direction he is moving in empty rooms and corridors

Those are the most noticable, but I'm a very random person who does some weird things at some point. Crazy, ain't it?

[Edited by gamer_extreme_101 at Local Time:12-06-2004 at 10:47 PM]

12-02-2004 at 11:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Malarame
I think the only weird thing I do is make sure Beethro's sword is always pointing forward when he's entering a new room. Other than that, I just play and not worry about it.

The strange thing is, I have a lot of little compulsion-type things in real life. I always find it necessary to do certain things in a certain way. I've always known I have a very slight bit of OCD, but it's never bothered me or interfered in my life. I just find it strange that I'm not that way when playing DROD.

-Groucho Marx
12-03-2004 at 03:34 AM
rothro
gamer_extreme_101 wrote:
-Making sure Beethro is looking in the direction he is moving in empty rooms and corridors
Oj, I do that so automatically that it did not even occur to me as strange :smile

Cheers
Rothro

12-03-2004 at 09:21 AM
Scott
Rank Points: 578
I'm much like maralame. The only thing I do is to point beethro towards the next unentered room. If I have already been there I don't care which way he is facing and I certainly don't care when I go down stairs. I go down the stairs are the closest point none of this going down the middle rubbish. :)
12-03-2004 at 11:39 PM
wmarkham
Rank Points: 125
While watching older replays of rooms that I solved in the past, I've noticed that there have been shifts in my habits. Most specifically, I used to keep the sword between Beethro and the "closest" monster. Even when the enemy was on the other side of a wall, I would only skip the step of orienting the sword if there was some other, more pressing, concern. After completing some of the more efficiency-sensitive levels, I believe I shifted to habits that much more strongly favor the minimization of the number of moves involved. Roughly speaking, I now minimize the number of moves until the "closest" monster is eliminated. I still tend to orient the sword before I move, although the direction that I choose is often the closest one to the previous position that I expect can deliver the killing blow....

I have used spinning and running into walls as fancy ways of passing time, but I don't seem to have any particular habits.

I haven't ever paid attention to the way that I descend the stairs. Offhand, I would expect that I try to minimize the number of moves.
12-06-2004 at 11:58 PM
b0rsuk
Rank Points: 489
If possible, I prefer to use LEFT RIGHT LEFT RIGHT mantra instead of q w q w. This way I get less confused. After few dozen qw's I lose concentration and have to stop and start to wonder which key should I press (q or w). leftright is foolproof for me.

http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20051128/adams_01.shtml
12-07-2004 at 08:16 AM
TripleM
Rank Points: 1373
b0rsuk wrote:
If possible, I prefer to use LEFT RIGHT LEFT RIGHT mantra instead of q w q w. This way I get less confused. After few dozen qw's I lose concentration and have to stop and start to wonder which key should I press (q or w). leftright is foolproof for me.

Definitely. And theres something about the 4 and 6 keys being further apart from Q and W that makes them so much easier to push alternately.

(Though it often takes me a while to realise that the last brained roach is going side to side with me :D)

[Edited by TripleM at Local Time:12-07-2004 at 08:20 AM]
12-07-2004 at 08:19 AM
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1978
Left-Right-Left-Right works a lot better when you're using the arrow keys for swording.

12-07-2004 at 08:31 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
bdcribbs
Rank Points: 390
When I'm taking out a horde from a fixed spot, I do the swings in "couplets"... qw qw qw qw, with a little pause between each qw. It makes it much less likely for me to get confused as was described, which used to happen to me a lot, especially on one particular machine I play on which is a little slow to respond. (Due to it's slowness, I named the machine "Ralph", after Ralph Wiggum).
12-07-2004 at 06:14 PM
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
If you play a wind (or perhaps string) instrument, DROD is an invaluable form of trilling practice, especially in rooms with lots of hack and slash.

Seriously, though, I do occasionally use "qw" repetition to practice finger coordination for trills. It does, for some strange reason, seem to work quite well.

12-07-2004 at 10:28 PM
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
A friend of mine has a nine-year-old kid who's pretty good at DROD for his age (he's reached L21 in KDD so far). He seems to have learned not moves, but key combinations for movement sequences. He's remarkably adept at, when it doesn't matter whether you press q or w first, just pressing both keys at once repeatedly until the monsters are gone.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
12-07-2004 at 11:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Malarame
Often times, if Beethro is pointing up or down and I could repeatedly hit q and w to kill creatures, I'll just hit 4 and 6 repeatedly instead. I actually find it easier to hit those two really fast (using my first and third fingers) than is to hit the q and w. I can't hit the 8 and 2 fast, though, so if Beethro is pointing to a side I'll just use q and w.

-Groucho Marx
12-08-2004 at 03:26 AM
ClaytonW
Rank Points: 961
If there's a catchy song on my playlist, I sometimes execute key combinations in time with the music. Freaky when its a really fast song. I do the same thing when I'm typing URLs, and I get dissapointed when the end of the URL doesn't coincide with the end of a lyric in the song.
12-10-2004 at 03:23 AM
joker5
Rank Points: 607
Like DDR... except extra.

Seriously, that's hecka-fun if you've got good songs and good rooms. Some rooms it doesn't work for though... snake loops and minimal-move solution rooms come to mind.

~joker5

www.badgerbadgerbadger.com

"Two words: Beam Waffle!" -me
12-10-2004 at 05:06 AM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Its just a question of style
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No