Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Question about Air Conditioners.
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
IP: Logged
icon Question about Air Conditioners. (0)  
So all of my life I've lived in the Pacific Northwest, where it mostly rains and people immediately put on shorts and bikinis if the sun is visible for longer than two minutes. I've never considered getting an A/C before, but this summer is looking to be a killer. And something about my apartment really seems to trap in the heat. Last weekend, we got the first really hot day of summer and I could barely sleep at night.

I found that there are some really cheap units at a nearby store--between $100 and $150. I only need to keep the bedroom cool and if the thing goes kaput after the summer is over, I won't be mad. With the randomish weather here, the thing will probably be turned on half of the days. I think it's probably a good idea to go cheap.

My main concern is that I've got to install this thing in the bedroom window. I live in an apartment and have to avoid damaging the property. I might have to uninstall the beast on my way out. Also, I can't irritate my neighbors who live in adjacent apartments.

So, not having any experience with these things, does anyone out there have any advice or warnings for me? I want to know things like: is the unit going to drip all over the side of the building or make a smell that will bug my neighbors? Are there any particular disadvantages to the cheaper A/Cs that I should think about? I don't trust the salespunks at the store.

-Erik

06-10-2003 at 04:15 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Rank Points: 5056
icon Re: Question about Air Conditioners. (0)  
Well, every other window in our complex has an air conditioner put in the window. One of those 5000 BTU $100 models should cool a room just fine. In general, they fit well into your window frame, should last several years, and I don't think there are any unnatural smells. Just don't run it on high for a prolonged period of time so you don't ice over the coils (you can tell if the amount of cold air coming in has reduced to a trickle), otherwise you'll have to run the fan for awhile, and the melted ice will then drip out the back and on to innocent bystanders :~) (that's the water dripping on an innocent bystander)

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
06-10-2003 at 09:15 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
icon Re: Re: Question about Air Conditioners. (0)  
Just the info I needed. Thanks, Mike!

-Erik

06-10-2003 at 09:23 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2708
A note about dripping - some models will drip even if no ice develops, since they dehumidify the air as well as cool it, and they need to outlet the water somehow. At my parent's house, the drip from the airconditioners was so heavy that my father installed a pipe that caught the water and collected it in a bucket - on hot, humid, days, he could collect over 30 liters (which he used to water the garden).

But as far as I can tell this more likely to happen in the bigger, more heavy-duty models (my parents have a really powerful unit), so a small model shouldn't be so bad; I know that friends of mine that have window units here don't have similar problems.

06-10-2003 at 10:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
zex20913
Rank Points: 1721
Whatever you do, don't cut the red wire...NO!!! DON'T!!! *runs away fast-like*

06-11-2003 at 12:12 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Malarame
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 220
What's grey, hums, sits in a window, and mysteriously dies 31 days after you buy it?

An air conditioner with a 30 day warrenty :D

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception."
-Groucho Marx
06-11-2003 at 12:58 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Scott
Rank Points: 578
One thing about window mounted air conditioners is that they are noisy. I mean really noisy. I had one in an apartment when I was in Sydney and I used to run the thing for short periods cause it was so loud. Theres no way you could sleep with it going.

The split systems cost more but are very quiet. They only require a small hole probably half a normal brick to be made in the wall.
06-11-2003 at 01:41 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Rank Points: 5056
icon Re: Re: Question about Air Conditioners. (0)  
Malarame wrote:
An air conditioner with a 30 day warrenty :D
Ain't that the truth!

Speaking of which, I learned in my statistics class that this is exactly how they determine how long to make product warranties. Find out how long it takes until a couple percent of your product units stop working, and set it there. All the remaining >95% of the units will fail after that amount of time.

I guess they set the dungeon exterminator's life insurance policy limit to 30 moves in the rooms with tar mommas. :eyes

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
06-11-2003 at 04:51 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Question about Air Conditioners.
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com