Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Custom elements repository (A big list with custom elements to spice up your holds)
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Dying Flutchman
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 406
IP: Logged
icon Custom elements repository (+3)  
Over the years, a lot of super cool custom elements have been designed by various architects. Every now and then, I see an element that I'd like to use in one of my own holds. For convenience' sake, I figured it would be nice to have an overview of all custom elements so architects know which elements exist and how they might use them. I'll update this list regularly to keep it up to date with the correct and most recent information.

And, of course, I hope that this gives architects inspiration to re-use some of the old classic elements in new ways. Some of those elements really deserve it!

Note:
I assume that the original designers would be happy enough if a new architect comes along and wants to use their element. Several holds have even included element documentation for future use!
However, always ask for permission if you want to use someone else's work, even when permission is already granted in the hold that contains the element.
It's polite and - perhaps - the original creator might be willing to help you to set up the element to work properly.

And remember: always acknowledge the original designer of the custom element!

Rules
This list includes custom elements that are 'ready to use' for architects.
1) The elements should be mature enough to use (i.e. no major bugs).
2) No one-off scripting that only works for a single room setup will be included. Only elements that can easily and reasonably be used in other rooms as well.
3) This list is not intended as a general scripting reference topic or code snippet library. Elements that only have a very simple task to perform and that can be easily coded by each architect are not included.
4) I've made some of the best elements green. For now, this is partly my personal preference.However, green elements tend to have good puzzle potential, are well-behaved and visually polished. I also put a 'crown award'(:king) into the element name, for those of you who are not into colors. I hope that we can improve this 'top selection' together, to make it less of a personal preference.
Go check out those crowned elements if you've never seen them, also if you're not planning to do any architecture.

Monsters a-z (33)
Click here to view the secret text

Weapons a-z (15)

Contraptions a-z (11)

Architecture, tokens & potions a-z (16)

Puzzles & miscellaneous a-z (12)

[Last edited by Dying Flutchman at 03-25-2021 09:38 PM]
11-18-2019 at 09:45 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dischorran
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3406
icon Re: Custom elements ripository (0)  
I'm fine with architects appropriating from Entropy and Lavender Levels (or jfflpnk, but why?); the latter has usage documentation in the hold. They could also update scripting as appropriate now that we have find natural target.

11-18-2019 at 08:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Xindaris
Rank Points: 1527
You might as well add Wheels from The Wheelhouse, etc. under "contraptions". I would also consider Sparks/Antisparks and Spiketraps from Traps Traps Traps to be "feature complete", but I haven't exactly made any "usage manuals" for those public yet, and I'm not really sure whether they count as monsters or contraptions.

Here are some links to Things!

[Last edited by Xindaris at 11-19-2019 01:36 AM]
11-19-2019 at 01:35 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Nuntar
Rank Points: 4576
Thank you for making this topic! It's a great resource and should certainly be stickied.

It's also very timely -- I was considering running a "Custom Element Showcase" (choose an existing custom element and make a showcase level around it) for the next contest.

Two obvious places to look are the Custom Elements Contest (I know you've listed the elements from the contest itself, but the thread contained a list of previous elements for possible inspiration) and the Deadlies. I'll have a look through those myself to see what I can add.

A reminder to everyone working on the Entry Point project: EP custom elements should not be publicly revealed until the project is released. (This does not apply to elements such as the girkle gun and pulse cannon, which are used in EP but originate from earlier holds.)

A few notes on the custom elements you've already listed:

11-19-2019 at 08:26 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mauvebutterfly
Rank Points: 720
From TSS:

Custom Element Showcase would be a cool contest. As would a Custom Element 2 featuring another round of original elements. I feel like I'd be able to come up with something much more original and interesting, but it's also cool for people to see other people using their elements.

11-19-2019 at 08:55 AM
Nuntar
icon Re: Custom elements ripository (+1)  
Link to Xindaris' post in the CEC topic. This post and mine below it contain useful lists of custom elements. I'll reorganise them to help you fit them in with your lists, but I hope it's okay if I leave you to do the write-ups for each.

[Last edited by Nuntar at 11-19-2019 09:47 AM]
11-19-2019 at 09:09 AM
Dying Flutchman
Thanks for all you replies!

I'll try to incorporate your additions, but it may take a while to get everything done, so please be patient.

[Last edited by Dying Flutchman at 11-19-2019 04:35 PM]
11-19-2019 at 12:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
azb
Rank Points: 460
I also know, because I asked Schik for permission to use TSS elements in my hold, that you have free permission to use TSS monsters, although I think permission to use non-monster art is still on a case by case basis (IE: First Chemist, vortexes, flame statues from Oubliette, etc).

[Last edited by azb at 11-19-2019 04:14 PM : Change words for accuracy]
11-19-2019 at 04:06 PM
mauvebutterfly
Not quite. You have to own TSS to use the elements from it, I'm pretty sure. You don't have permission to use the TSS elements if you are using the demo version of DROD5.

11-19-2019 at 11:15 PM
azb
Rank Points: 460
Okay, that is also right - in order to make a hold using the elements, you should own the full version. My apologies for not specifying earlier.

11-20-2019 at 12:50 AM
Dying Flutchman
I have updated the fipo with your input. Thanks for that again.

But - time for the bad news - there's still about 20 elements that I haven't finished yet. I will include some of these elements soon, but I haven't seen many of the elements in the 'to do' list. I'll try to play through some of the holds to be able to get to know them and describe them here.

But any help in writing descriptions is welcomed.

Expect some further updates in the weeks to come.

11-25-2019 at 08:55 AM
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
*repository
11-25-2019 at 10:35 AM
Dying Flutchman
icon Re: Custom elements ripository (+1)  
Rabscuttle wrote:
*repository

The obvious correction that nobody saw (or bothered with) :)

Corrected.

Btw: do you still have your demos for the Salamander hold? I need help...

11-25-2019 at 10:50 AM
Dying Flutchman
icon Re: Custom elements repository (0)  
I've done quite some updates, see first post.

Also marked my favorite elements. I hope no-one feels offended. However, perhaps this is a good discussion starter? Which ones do you like the most?

Also: when is this custom elements revisited contest taking places? It would be nice if we could finish this list together before it starts, or at least agree on the loose ends and the ends-that-should-not-be-loose.

[Last edited by Dying Flutchman at 12-01-2019 09:53 PM]
12-01-2019 at 09:53 PM
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1299
If you're thinking of including my character Ordvan, you should probably include Kolby as well. (The script is better in this hold, even though the hold itself is not)
12-01-2019 at 11:09 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mauvebutterfly
icon Re: Custom elements repository (+1)  
I'm not offended at all by you marking some elements as your favourites, but it seems like that somewhat goes against what I thought this thread was for. A neutral listing of custom elements would be great for architects to browse when wanting to add something unusual to their hold. Listing your favourites is kind of like saying, "Here are all the custom elements, but these ones are the ones you really want to check out." Personally, I'd prefer you just make a post with your favourite elements and we can go from there.

For instance, the leech is one of my favourite elements from the list. It's nothing fancy, but it feels like a monster that occupies a specific niche while fitting alongside the standard monsters nicely. Its behaviour is intuitive, and I really think the game could use another water-themed element. As it stands, we only really have waterskippers for an aquatic monster.

12-02-2019 at 08:21 AM
Dying Flutchman
mauvebutterfly wrote:
I'm not offended at all by you marking some elements as your favourites, but it seems like that somewhat goes against what I thought this thread was for.

That's exactly why I asked :)

But seriously, it would be nice if we could agree on a list of elements that work especially well in terms of puzzle potential, robust scripting and aesthetics.

I'd be aiming for just an extra indication of usability for architects. The first list is my preference, but I'd like to achieve consensus (more or less) on outstanding-ness. For instance: the leech also scores very high in my opinion, so that's something we can agree on (have added the 'crown award' to that one as well).

Depending on the input I receive here, I think we could realistically expect to be able to make this list less personal and more representative of communis opinio.

So who's next? Anyone having favorites here?

Btw: if this doesn't work the way I hope, I'll just remove the 'crown awards'.

12-02-2019 at 11:31 AM
Insoluble
Rank Points: 1638
I see a lot of utility in having a list that is purely informational and objective. But I can also see the potential for a list in which the more functional elements are spotlighted. Why not have a separate list for that? Possibly even have an opinion poll once you have a complete list of elements (the downside to that is that it would be impossible to add to.)

12-02-2019 at 05:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1978
You should provide this information for the Scared Roach element: http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=38640&page=0#387104

12-02-2019 at 07:23 PM
RoboBob3000
And you know what? Even though I never released this as an official hold, nor have I even touched it in like seven years, I put enough work into it (and into making it reusable) that I'd hate for it to be lost to time: Porthole.

12-02-2019 at 07:29 PM
Dying Flutchman
RoboBob3000 wrote:
And you know what? Even though I never released this as an official hold, nor have I even touched it in like seven years, I put enough work into it (and into making it reusable) that I'd hate for it to be lost to time: Porthole.

This is amazing. I think. Because the file you are referring to (v17 of the editor) seems to be broken. Hope you could check it out, because this would be a wonderful addition to the list.

12-03-2019 at 12:25 PM
RoboBob3000
Dying Flutchman wrote:
Hope you could check it out...
Thanks for the heads up. It's a real bummer that it's been busted for so long. I found another version on my PC and added it to that thread.

12-03-2019 at 10:48 PM
Dying Flutchman
Bump for an update.

I don't remember playing as much drod as I have done for the last couple of weeks. Compiling this list has been a good excuse...

Most elements that I am aware of have now been included. If you want, you can check out your own elements to see if I described them correctly.

The only thing left to do is to do a full check on two holds: Change for Paradise and Homeward Adventure.

Now those holds are both very large, so I'm not really in the mood to completely play them right now to extract all custom elements. So, if anyone can help me with elements from those two holds, I'd be very grateful.

Tnx!

[Last edited by Dying Flutchman at 12-18-2019 05:07 PM]
12-18-2019 at 05:04 PM
Nuntar
All levels in Chance for Paradise are open from the start, so it won't take long to look at all the elements. I'll do that soon, if you haven't gotten to it first.

Homeward Adventure is more problematic as I believe some or all of its custom elements are in postgame content.

12-18-2019 at 06:52 PM
Dying Flutchman
OK, Nuntar nudged me to play through Chance for Paradise as well :)

So the list is now pretty much as complete as it will get, exept for the elements from Homeward Adventure and things I may have forgotten. There's more than 70 elements in the list! Thanks for your help so far.

1) I have opened a satellite topic to discuss which elements stand out. The list in this topic tries to present complete and neutral information about every element that has been designed, but I figure it won't hurt to give readers at least a clue as to which elements have been especially well-crafted.
If you want to help to make this 'top selection' better (i.e. based on some kind of forum concensus), please respond in the satellite topic.
2) Nuntar considered to build a contest around custom elements. I think that's a good idea. At least, this list is now complete enough to serve as a base for this contest.
3) Nuntar suggested stickying this thread. Perhaps I should not advocate this myself, but it is meant as a resource for all architects and I intend to update this with additional elements as they are beeing introduced in new holds. So yes, stickying this might be a good idea.

That's it for now. No more updates planned, as long as no new elements appear or someone points out errors or additions.

[Last edited by Dying Flutchman at 12-20-2019 05:45 PM]
12-19-2019 at 10:43 PM
Insoluble
Rank Points: 1638
For "Homeward Adventure" there's just the two I think (At least according to the deadlies thread). Feel free to copy paste into the above or edit the descriptions if you want.

12-20-2019 at 01:57 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dragon Fogel
Rank Points: 2430
For the record, this is what Homeward Adventure has:

I haven't looked at the actual scripting, this is just what I see on the player side.
12-20-2019 at 01:59 AM
Dying Flutchman
And.... done! The list is *complete* (for now).

Thanks Insoluble and Dragon Fogel.

[Last edited by Dying Flutchman at 12-20-2019 10:21 PM]
12-20-2019 at 10:21 PM
averagemoe
Rank Points: 487
Well, now I feel slightly dirty for just now realizing I have some creations of my own.

For starters, my modified version of the Scared Roach custom element, which changes appearance to indicate whether it's in "Attack" or "Flee" mode. Fully compatible with the original flashlight system.

Then there's my Lemming that does a complete 180 when it hits something.

And finally, the DROD equivalents of the Bug and Ameoba from Chip's Challenge. (Or the Ant and Centipede if you prefer the sequel.)

[Last edited by averagemoe at 12-21-2019 12:58 AM]
12-21-2019 at 12:55 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Dying Flutchman
Averagemoe's stuff added as well. Tnx for your input.

75 elements and counting...

12-22-2019 at 11:40 AM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Custom elements repository (A big list with custom elements to spice up your holds)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com