Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : King Nareik's Journey {v03: 06 Sep 2020} (The JtRH sequel to King Nareik's Dungeon)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
kieranmillar
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2670
IP: Logged

File: King Nareiks Journey v03.hold (52.4 KB)
Downloaded 67 times.
License: Public Domain
icon King Nareik's Journey {v03: 06 Sep 2020} (+2)  
Yes, you probably guessed that I was going to be working on this, and you were right. Good job, give yourself a pat on the back. I don't like having a hold sit around on my computer unseen by anyone else because I'm slightly paranoid that one day something will happen and all that hard work will never see the light of day, so I'm making this thread to store my in-progress work.

KNJ is the sequel to King Nareik's Dungeon, this time made in the original Journey to Rooted Hold engine. It has the same modern lynchpin-focussed design ethos, but with a different structure to the typical linear fare. It takes place immediately after the events of KND, so spoilers! (SPOILER: Rallim makes it to the bottom of the dungeon in KND).

I've currently made 64 scorable rooms, which is about 1/3rd of the content in KND. And there's much more to come yet!

If you want to play what's currently here and give feedback, I'm more than happy for you to do so. But really it's currently far from complete, and if people would rather wait until it's nearly finished, then hey that's cool too. The main aim in making it public at this stage is largely a backup really. But the content that is currently here is fully playable.

FAQ
When is this hold going to be finished?
It will be a while, I'll be working on it slowly on and off. Remember, KND was 3 years in the making.

Is this easier or harder than KND?
I'd like to think its slightly easier, but in reality it's probably the same.

Will it have a TSS makeover like KND did with scripted challenges?
I figured originally the plan would be no, but now that I have challenge ideas for some rooms, I suppose I might as well.

Why is it called King Nareik's Journey when Rallim is the one going on a journey?
Ummm... uhhh...

[Last edited by kieranmillar at 09-06-2020 07:26 PM]
10-13-2019 at 03:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Nuntar
Rank Points: 4590

File: King Nareiks Journey Nuntar.demo (20.9 KB)
Downloaded 51 times.
icon Re: King Nareik's Journey (+5)  
I've reached what seems to be the last room of the current version (MF 5N4W). Demos attached.
Click here to view the secret text

10-21-2019 at 04:05 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
kieranmillar
icon Re: King Nareik's Journey (0)  
Thanks Nuntar, I'll take a more in-depth look at your feedback later, but just wanted to quickly say that all rooms are definitely possible. Although this may be a sign that they need moving to later in the hold if they are that tough.
10-21-2019 at 07:12 AM
KituU
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 218

File: King Nareiks Journey- KituU demos.demo (23.9 KB)
Downloaded 49 times.
Hi, certainly it's too good to be sleeping in your pc, it will make a great hold. Appreciate this “classic drod flavor”, brings back such good memories
So very enjoyable, and engaging. Very nice puzzles, and some are awesome!
Difficulty is quite varied, from very easy to quite challenging

Noticed in editor Spare Rooms, can they be accessed to play ?

Here are demos, all solved, and some comments

10-31-2019 at 09:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
bbb
Rank Points: 215
Nice hold.

Some short comments:

11-07-2019 at 06:49 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
kieranmillar
icon Re: King Nareik's Journey {v02: 15 Dec 2019} (+2)  
Thanks all who have played and provided comments and demos so far. Always very appreciated.

I have not yet had time to go over them in detail or to watch the demos, but have made a quick update, v02, attached to the opening post, to fix some of the more major errors in advance of Chaco's stream.

v02 changelog:

12-15-2019 at 04:44 PM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3624
Oh yeah, I should probably post a link to the stream in this thread too, for anyone who hasn't been lurking in CaravelNet chat the past couple of days (or isn't subscribed to my channel):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5k8pJhALLU

12-15-2019 at 04:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
bbb
Rank Points: 215
Some comments and challenges

12-25-2019 at 12:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mxvladi
Rank Points: 2505
icon Re: King Nareik's Journey {v02: 15 Dec 2019} (+5)  
I'll go ahead and throw in a bunch of my demos in here as well. Missing: demos for Back Offices, since I went to Pantry first, stairs there currently end the hold and I didn't feel like restoring, and maybe a secret room or two.

EDIT: demos removed since kieran got them.

Some observations (probably repeating what other people have said already, but still):

[Last edited by mxvladi at 04-13-2020 12:52 AM]
04-12-2020 at 10:10 PM
kieranmillar
icon Re: King Nareik's Journey {v03: 06 Sep 2020} (+3)  
v03 is in the opening post. It contains some new rooms, but the bulk of the changelog is room fixes. A major content update will happen in v04, whenever that comes along.

The hold now contains a warp room like KND did, although this one will not be present in the final version of the hold. Due to the structure of this hold, it is a lot harder to provide warp points in perfectly convenient locations.

A big thank you to everybody who has provided feedback so far.

v03 changelog:

[Last edited by kieranmillar at 09-06-2020 07:23 PM]
09-06-2020 at 07:23 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : King Nareik's Journey {v03: 06 Sep 2020} (The JtRH sequel to King Nareik's Dungeon)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com