Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : What do you listen to while DRODing. ((other than the music that comes with the game))
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Insoluble
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1638
IP: Logged
icon What do you listen to while DRODing. (+2)  
So we were having a conversation in chat a while back about what kinds of music folks listen to while DRODing. I'm totally into the game music and thing it fits the game just fine, but when I'm playing an 8 brain hold and stuck on the same room for 40 minutes I start to get sick of hearing the same few songs on repeat and crave some variety. So I'll typically play with the game's music muted and my own music playing in the background.

So what kinds of music do you like to have on in the background while DRODing? (other than the in game music obv.) Post any and all thoughts and recommendations here. Xindaris brings up the good point that this also applies to architecture. So feel free to post stuff you like to listen to while building too.

04-04-2019 at 06:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
averagemoe
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 488
icon Re: What do you listen to while DRODing. (+1)  
Once during a particularly long stretch in the editor, I opened DROD:RPG in the background went into it's editor and set an NPC to play the "slayers" theme.

04-04-2019 at 07:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Professor Tio
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 100
Usually when I'm actually playing a hold, I just let the game's music play like normal, but sometimes I do go and play some music that kinda fits the room/level if with a bit of an edgy selection at times. Sometimes I also just have a video's audio or a voice call happening and that's what I tune in on.

As for building stuff, I almost always play something that fits the level's theme in some regard. Example, I've been playing this track a lot while trying to lay out an RPG level intended to be a maze of claustrophobic underground waterways - "Underwater Forest"

Edit - Thinking about it, I really should make a personal playlist to cycle through for stuff like DROD...

[Last edited by Professor Tio at 04-04-2019 10:17 PM]
04-04-2019 at 07:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Xindaris
Rank Points: 1531
So, when I'm actually playing through a hold myself I usually use the game's default music. It might also be the case that I don't have the patience to stare at a single room for 40 minutes so I don't run into the same problem there, but I usually feel like the music fits the gameplay well, especially with more "intense" tracks for higher numbers of enemies and more "relaxed" tracks for almost no enemies.

The problem I find in architecture is that while building the "relaxed" track for the relevant style plays on loop, forever, and I spend a lot of time building puzzles. So I usually turn off music in the settings when I'm editing a level and, indeed, listen to other music instead (but still leave the DROD sound effects on).

I have windows media player loaded with a gigantic list of all the music I both have and like called "Full Mix", and usually shuffle that list to make a hundred-plus-hour playlist of songs that I listen to for basically everything that doesn't have its own soundtrack or whose soundtrack I find inadequate--DROD architecture, writing, trying to do math. I used to do the same for editing portal 2 levels, for instance.

What's in the list? I have lots of stuff from ocremix.org, which deals in "ReMiXes" (more like rearrangements) of video game music. There's such a massive plethora of options to pick from there, and it's especially nice to find a good remix of a track you already like. I'm disappointed that they don't have remixes of anything from (DROD, the 7th dragon series, the Atelier series, etc.) but what they do have is still quite a lot, and quite good. I can particularly recommend so many things from there; a small sampling would be the Candy Corn albums by Yoshiblade, nearly everything from the three boss battle remix albums and a lot of their undertale remixes and so on. Beyond just albums/groupings there are probably 200+ individual songs I've downloaded from there; my recommendation to someone going there for the first time is just to look up a game you love or whose music you think is good and poke about the mixes there, identify artists you like and see what else they've done, and go on from there.

Speaking of rearrangements of video game songs, I've also recently gotten into GaMetal aka Jonny Atma, who's been doing metal covers of game songs for 4+ years and all of it is free to download. If you're uncertain he has a youtube channel you can hear those songs from. Pretty great.

There's also various bits of slightly better-known artists on the list, like most of Weird Al's discography, some The Bravery and Franz Ferdinand, Celldweller, "Under Pressure" by David Bowie and Queen. Maybe that tells you something about my tastes in general, I dunno?

But speaking of comedy music, I can highly recommend the entire "Mouth" series of mashup/remix albums by one Neil Cicierega. I suggest starting from Silence then going to Sounds and finally the later-released Moods album. Neil has a unique style of trolling and telling jokes through music, and the sheer musicality of what he made out of mostly various pop garbage from the last few decades is absolutely astounding. Just be prepared for a lot of Smash Mouth. The songs are good on their own, too, but I strongly recommend experiencing the entire albums your first time through; some of the best jokes shine through that way.

The final gigantic chunk of my music library comes from Lapfox aka Vulpvibe (in the past) aka Halley labs (in the present). To be clear, this is a wide collection of music by one person going under a large number of different aliases, with each alias having its own specific genre and style of its own. Honestly I like Renard's older stuff a lot better than most of the newer stuff, but the fact that the newer stuff has come into existence has pushed a lot of the older work that used to cost money into "this is old so you can download it for free" territory, which I couldn't be happier about. (Maybe it's obvious by now but I'm kind of cheapskate in general, so anything I can get for free and enjoy is great for me). The wide variety of music, most of it amazing, all coming from one person, is staggering, and although I appreciate it's possible for all of it to be outside of someone else's tastes it certainly does the job for me.

Here are some links to Things!
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by Xindaris at 04-04-2019 07:34 PM]
04-04-2019 at 07:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
disoriented
Rank Points: 2386
I have lots of stuff from ocremix.org
ocremix is so good.

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.

[Last edited by disoriented at 04-04-2019 07:58 PM]
04-04-2019 at 07:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : What do you listen to while DRODing. ((other than the music that comes with the game))
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com