Announcement: Please read the Rules Topic for some general rules and etiquette before using the Hints and Solutions system.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Hints and Solutions : The Twelve Days of Christmas : And Then There Were None : 3 East
Get Help for a Room Post Reply
Poster Message
Dragon Fogel
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2434
IP: Logged
icon The Twelve Days of Christmas : And Then There Were None : 3 East (+1)  
So apparently this room depends on the order in which aumtlich beams are processed, except that isn't nearly as simple as "Aumtlich #1's beam hits things, then Aumtlich #2's beam hits things". The effects of other beams are apparently relevant to this process but I don't know how exactly that works and arguably this is a bug because it can result in a beam touching a cracked orb without breaking it, which is what this room expects.

So can anyone tell me how this mess is actually calculated? I don't remember blorx1's original explanation of the behavior.

Not that I'm saying I'm going to use the explanation to work out the order needed, it's just that I've been playing around in the editor attempting to understand it and I find this very confusing.
12-12-2018 at 05:52 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dragon Fogel
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2434
IP: Logged
icon Re: The Twelve Days of Christmas : And Then There Were None : 3 East (+3)  
On further investigation, the behavior here seems to be as follows.

-Aumtlich beams are processed in the move order of the aumtlich.
-When a new beam is processed, first it checks if that beam destroys any orbs. If it did, and another beam was blocked by that orb, that beam will effectively "fire again", destroying any broken orbs in its path and turning cracked orbs into broken orbs.
-However, if the unblocked beam destroys any orbs and unblocks any other beams, those beams' effects (at least on orbs) will NOT be checked.

So I was going to think through how to include a south-facing aumtlich using these rules, but it turns out that's unnecessary. The rules still helped me to come up with a setup that worked without one, though.

Click here to view the secret text

12-12-2018 at 07:24 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Get Help for a Room Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Hints and Solutions : The Twelve Days of Christmas : And Then There Were None : 3 East
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com