Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Forum Games : The Invisible Rule. (A game I just made up.)
Page 1 of 33
2345>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
IP: Logged
icon The Invisible Rule. (+2)  
This game is about guessing what an Invisible Rule is based on how people's posts are awarded or punished when the Invisible Rule is applied to them. Here are the (visible) rules:

1. The host chooses one Invisible Rule at start of game. Rules can be things like "The letter 'O' may not be used" or "Someone's name must be mentioned." The host is not a player, and he has no incentive to choose something overly difficult.
2. Each post the host makes must follow his own Invisible Rule.
3. When a player wants a post to be considered as an entry he precedes it with "#x" where x is the number of entries he will have made with the post. The first entry will be preceded with "#1".
4. Each entry must have at least three words in it that differ when compared to any of the preceding entries in the game.
5. The host also precedes his entries with "#x".
6. If a player makes a post that follows the Invisible Rule, he receives one rank point, whether he knew what the Invisible Rule was or not. Otherwise, he loses one rank point and it goes into a pot. (like a poker pot)
7. A player may not exceed the number of posts made by the host. (Off-game posts are not counted.)
8. A player is said to be "caught up" if he has made as many posts in the game as the host. There is no obligation to stay "caught up", but as you will see in the next two rules, it is necessary to win.
9. If a player is caught up, then he may at his option guess the Invisible Rule, by beginning his post with the words "The Invisible Rule is" followed by his description. If he guesses correctly, he wins the game. If he guesses incorrectly, he must wait for another player to guess before he can make another guess.
10. The winner gets modded up by the amount of the pot. In other words, the total amount of negative mods for the game are given to him. If he wishes to be host, he will also be given mod points to run the game.

If a host would like some mod points to run a game, just e-mail me at erikh@caravelgames.com.

I'll start the game with the next post. This post doesn't follow an Invisible Rule.

-Erik

[Last edited by ErikH2000 at 10-01-2006 06:54 AM]
11-26-2004 at 07:58 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
icon Re: The Invisible Rule. (0)  
Fortunately, there are many people on the forum and it shouldn't be hard to get a game going.

-Erik

11-26-2004 at 08:02 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
It seems that the game could be started more quickly if I made some extra posts.

-Erik

11-26-2004 at 08:08 PM
ErikH2000
I can make a lot of posts to give you more guessing material, but consequently, you must also make more posts to stay caught up.

-Erik

11-26-2004 at 08:11 PM
Doom
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3226
Off game But people might be afraid to play the game because they could lose rank points.

edit:oops, forgot off-game

[Edited by Doom at Local Time:11-26-2004 at 08:20 PM]
11-26-2004 at 08:12 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Off-Game: Henri, did you mean your post to be an entry? If not, please go back and edit to prefix it with "off-game". Regarding your concern, I will give you and other players the option to try the game with "pretend" rank points. Whether you win or lose, your posts will be modded back to zero at the end of the game. Would you like to try that?

-Erik

11-26-2004 at 08:15 PM
ErikH2000
Off-Game: In fact, since I just made this game up and the rules might need major tweaking. For now, let's just say the all posts in this topic will be modded back to zero at end of this game.

-Erik

11-26-2004 at 08:26 PM
Abbyzzmal
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 348
Thank you kindly.
11-26-2004 at 09:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
HappyMutant
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 36
I'm not sure I fully understand the rule, but I'll willingly take a stab at the game.
11-26-2004 at 09:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
But it would be easier is the "lose one point" rule starts after someone has received a point. Otherwise it is a lot of guessing. Or if the host has given one correct example.

(Note that we don't punt "off game" at the beginning of the messages...)

-- Tim

[Edited by Tim at Local Time:11-26-2004 at 10:13 PM]

11-26-2004 at 10:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Off-game
Tim wrote:
But it would be easier is the "lose one point" rule starts after someone has received a point. Otherwise it is a lot of guessing. Or if the host has given one correct example.
I gave three correct examples. They are the first three posts of the game.
(Note that we don't punt "off game" at the beginning of the messages...)
I noticed that you didn't on your last post so I treated it as an entry. It did not adhere to the Invisible Rule, so you got modded down.

-Erik

11-26-2004 at 10:57 PM
Schik
Rank Points: 5381
I'm quickly becoming confused by this strange game.

11-26-2004 at 11:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Off-game: It seems people are getting close to the answer. Note that the four entrants are not "caught up" to my three posts, so none of them can guess yet and win. Since there are a number of people that seem to know, the strategy might be to... ah, never mind. I'll let you work it out. Next time I will pick something harder.

-Erik

11-26-2004 at 11:09 PM
Schik
I'll quickly post a couple more so I can get caught up.

11-26-2004 at 11:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Schik
Oops, I stupidly used the same word to fulfill the rule in my first two posts.

11-26-2004 at 11:11 PM
joker5
Rank Points: 607
Herm.... I don't think this rule will last much longer. Better get caught up now.

~joker5

www.badgerbadgerbadger.com

"Two words: Beam Waffle!" -me
11-26-2004 at 11:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
wackhead_uk
Rank Points: 352
Incidentally Schik, I think you should edit that post that sort of tells you the rule.
11-26-2004 at 11:19 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Hey, I'm caught up! I randomly guess that the rule is: The sentence must have a word that ends in -ly.

11-26-2004 at 11:23 PM
ErikH2000
Off-Game: That was not the rule, and you are out of the game early.

Off-Game: Note that the previous sentence didn't qualify so I had to make it "off-game". This text doesn't qualify either.

-Erik

[Edited by ErikH2000 at Local Time:11-26-2004 at 11:29 PM: Logical error.]

11-26-2004 at 11:26 PM
Scott
Rank Points: 578
This is an interesting game.
11-26-2004 at 11:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Abbyzzmal
Previously, I had assumed that the rule was the -ly thing, but I guess I was wrong.
11-26-2004 at 11:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Abbyzzmal
As a test, I will try using the same part of speech without the -ly and see if it ever changes.
11-26-2004 at 11:58 PM
Abbyzzmal
Disappointingly, adverbs and adverb clauses are out.
11-27-2004 at 12:02 AM
ErikH2000
I wouldn't particularly consider "as a test" to be an adverb.

-Erik

11-27-2004 at 12:12 AM
Abbyzzmal
But surely you can't deny "ever." But then again, you denied "after" earlier, as well as "early." So it cannot be merely the part of speech. I'll make my guess soon.
11-27-2004 at 12:25 AM
ErikH2000
Man, this is no good. Ab, I think I'm going to have to declare you the winner in a very unsatisfying way. The rule was "Each sentence will contain at least one adverb." But you've shown that my grasp adverbs is lacking! You didn't actually make a formal guess, but if I had been answering correctly I think you would have won pretty quickly.

Unmodding points...

Ab, do you want to run the game with a new Invisible Rule of your own choosing? If so, I will give you some mod points for that. Also, I suggest that we use real rank points for the next game instead of "pretend" like we did on this one.

-Erik

11-27-2004 at 12:49 AM
Abbyzzmal
I had thought that it might be simply an adverb made from an adjective; I have shown a tendency in my life to cover all the bases before making a decision.

Now, for my contest, I have ruled about anything really obscure, no "no using the letter 'q'" or anything, but I think the new formula I have chosen may still take a while.

[Edited by Abbyzzmal at Local Time:11-27-2004 at 01:11 AM]
11-27-2004 at 01:08 AM
Abbyzzmal
Also, the new rule now has been displayed twice, even though I guess I do not have the mod points at my disposal yet. And both times, I have put multiple parts to it.

[Edited by Abbyzzmal at Local Time:11-27-2004 at 01:15 AM]
11-27-2004 at 01:10 AM
ErikH2000
Off-game: Note that the rules have been changed slightly. You may not make more entries than the host. (To prevent people from winning by sheer number of entries.) You must declare your guesses formally by beginning with "The Invisible Rule is..." and getting a guess wrong doesn't kick you out of the game, but you can't guess twice in a row. Will go give Ab some mod points.

-Erik

11-27-2004 at 01:15 AM
ErikH2000
icon Re: The Invisible Rule. (+1)  
The new rule has been displayed twice?

-Erik

[Edited by ErikH2000 at Local Time:11-27-2004 at 01:20 AM]

[Edited by ErikH2000 at Local Time:11-27-2004 at 01:23 AM]

11-27-2004 at 01:20 AM
Page 1 of 33
2345>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Forum Games : The Invisible Rule. (A game I just made up.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com