Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Bugs : Hot Tile Inconsistencies
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
mauvebutterfly
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 720
IP: Logged
icon Hot Tile Inconsistencies (+2)  
In the 2018 Year of RPG Contest I had two rooms that involved mimics on hot tiles. From what I've heard, other people playing the entry saw the mimics regenerate their health on screen transition, but in my version that didn't happen.

I am playing version 1.2.7.316 on GOG.com and wonder if there was something that changed between this and the more recent 1.2.7.330 Steam version.

The intended behaviour is that mimics that are damaged keep this damage between screen transitions.

11-10-2018 at 03:45 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Doom
Rank Points: 3226

File: Hot Tile Bug.drh (785 bytes)
Downloaded 43 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: Hot Tile Inconsistencies (+4)  
For what it's worth I thought I saw this happen when playing the contest entries but can't reproduce it anymore, even when restoring to a save at roughly the correct point in time. There was at least one other report of the same thing in chat, so probably didn't imagine it. .. was able to reproduce it after a few attempts.

Couldn't find anything wrong with the scripting when looking at mauve's level.

edit: Seems to be a bug related to saving and loading. If I quicksave in NotRPG:1N1E and quickload, every time I re-enter the room the mimic's health resets.

edit 2: Here's a little test hold for reproducing this more easily

1. Enter the room to the west.
2. Quicksave
3. Quickload
4. Spend a few turns in the room, leave and come back. The mimic's health should reset to full.

I was able to reproduce this in both 1.2.7.330 (Steam) and 1.2.6.311 (Standalone)

[Last edited by Doom at 11-10-2018 05:41 AM]
11-10-2018 at 05:02 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
icon Re: Hot Tile Inconsistencies (0)  
I appreciate the report and steps.

I've been able to reproduce this issue with your hold.

I think I've isolated the issue. It's related to a monster variable named ExtraVars that stores a packed copy of the monster's current stats when saving game. ExtraVars is used to set the monster's current stats when loading game.

However, once ExtraVars is set for a monster, its values are referenced to set the monster's stats on each room re-entrance thereafter. The bug is that ExtraVars doesn't get updated to the monster's current values when exiting the room, and its saved values keep getting reused each time the room is re-entered.

I'll think of how best to address this. I think the right choice is to clear out ExtraVars for each monster (except NPCs, which are handled specially) once the monster's stats are loaded from this variable, which will preclude ExtraVars from being used to override the monster's current stats during play.

Fixing for 1.2.8.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 09-23-2020 05:25 AM]
09-23-2020 at 05:22 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Feel free to review my PR.

Cleaned up more than was strictly necessary on the way to fixing this bug, but I think the code makes more sense now.

09-23-2020 at 08:37 AM
kieranmillar
Rank Points: 2670
icon Re: Hot Tile Inconsistencies (+1)  
Bad news, 1.2.8.alpha.2020-09-23 has some major issues with loading the game.

Here's what I did:

* Start a new game in Tendry's Tale.
* As soom as you regain control from the opening cutscene, save the game.
* Move W into the next room.
* Load the save game

End result: Game is stuck inside a hung cutscene, with the player missing.

drodrpg.err says:
Assertion error in line 4803 of C:\Users\mrime\git\drod\drodrpg\DRODLib\Character.cpp: "this->bVisible"
Assertion error in line 4811 of C:\Users\mrime\git\drod\drodrpg\DRODLib\Character.cpp: "room.pMonsterSquares[room.ARRAYINDEX(this->wX,this->wY)] == this"

[Last edited by kieranmillar at 09-23-2020 11:05 PM]
09-23-2020 at 11:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
kieranmillar

File: rpgLoadingError.png (1.1 MB)
Downloaded 126 times.
License: Public Domain
OK, this might give a better idea as to what's going on, I tried to load a really early save of my hold The 'Neatherhood which has custom monsters. End result is that this has happened to the characters:

See attached picture

So something very wrong happening with scripted characters when loading the game. There is meant to be a monster in front of the key, and another in front of the attack gem.

[Last edited by kieranmillar at 09-24-2020 07:51 PM]
09-23-2020 at 11:08 PM
kieranmillar
Another issue I assume is related.

In the editor when editing a room, click on the monster tab to swap to placing monster objects.

Game crashes upon trying to swap to the tab. No errors are posted to drodrpg.err.
09-23-2020 at 11:19 PM
mrimer
kieranmillar wrote:
Another issue I assume is related.

In the editor when editing a room, click on the monster tab to swap to placing monster objects.

Game crashes upon trying to swap to the tab. No errors are posted to drodrpg.err.
I'm not able to reproduce this issue in a bare room. I'll check into the other issues next.

09-24-2020 at 12:39 AM
mrimer
kieranmillar wrote:
Bad news, 1.2.8.alpha.2020-09-23 has some major issues with loading the game.

Here's what I did:
End result: Game is stuck inside a hung cutscene, with the player missing.
Thank you for posting this. I think it's good that the game at least ran for you! I wasn't sure whether we'd get that far the first time.

I can't reproduce this issue when running in my debugger. Maybe I need to try in a distinct game install or on a separate PC...

Edit: Oh, never mind. I managed to trigger the issue somehow. I can dig into it now.
drodrpg.err says:
Assertion error in line 4803 of C:\Users\mrime\git\drod\drodrpg\DRODLib\Character.cpp: "this->bVisible"
Assertion error in line 4811 of C:\Users\mrime\git\drod\drodrpg\DRODLib\Character.cpp: "room.pMonsterSquares[room.ARRAYINDEX(this->wX,this->wY)] == this"
Huh...did assertion error texts always contain the path to my development location? If so, I never noticed that before...

[Last edited by mrimer at 09-24-2020 12:55 AM]
09-24-2020 at 12:45 AM
mrimer
kieranmillar wrote:
So something very wrong happening with scripted characters when loading the game. There is meant to be a monster in front of the key, and another in front of the attack gem.
Yes, probably an issue with the changes I just made to address this bug topic.

Is there a way I can get a private copy of your .dat files, with repro steps, so I can try to reproduce this issue on my end?

Edit: let me fix the above issue first. That's probably what is causing this.

[Last edited by mrimer at 09-24-2020 01:02 AM]
09-24-2020 at 12:48 AM
mrimer
Try build alpha.2020-09-23a to see if it fixes this issue.

I still can't repro the room editor monster tab issue, though. Please tell me if that's still happening for you.

[Last edited by mrimer at 09-24-2020 01:15 AM]
09-24-2020 at 01:15 AM
kieranmillar
Can confirm that in 1.2.8.alpha.2020-09-23a that the hot tile bug / monster health regeneration this thread was about is fixed, as is the regression about characters failing on loading a game.

The bug with the monster tab crashing the editor is still around, but I see the regular DROD bug forum has a bug thread for that so any further discussion on that should probably go there instead.

[Last edited by kieranmillar at 09-24-2020 08:06 PM]
09-24-2020 at 07:54 PM
mrimer
Thank you for validating. That's great!
kieranmillar wrote:
The bug with the monster tab crashing the editor is still around, but I see the regular DROD bug forum has a bug thread for that so any further discussion on that should probably go there instead.
Yep, this is a distinct issue. I just "fixed" it. Please confirm the new RPG build resolves the issue.

[Last edited by mrimer at 09-24-2020 08:15 PM]
09-24-2020 at 08:13 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Bugs : Hot Tile Inconsistencies
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com