Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Architecture : Unhold
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Nuntar
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 4592
IP: Logged

File: Unhold.drh (2.3 KB)
Downloaded 65 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Unhold (+2)  
Having nothing else to do tonight, I decided to give myself a strict time limit to 2 hours to build an RPG hold and see how far I could get in that time.

This is the result. One level, 4 rooms plus an exit room, basic gameplay with default initial stats and a x1 multiplier. It's completable but there are obvious balancing problems that I would fix if it weren't for the time limit.

I might keep working at this, not sure. Let me know what you think of the hold so far in any case.

09-09-2018 at 11:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
kieranmillar
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2670

File: MyScore.jpg (46.9 KB)
Downloaded 229 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: Unhold (+2)  

This was after deliberately optimising for this scorepoint. First score was I think 257 points? Then I just pressed undo and did clean up. I wish I'd saved that one. In reality if there were a second level I wouldn't go into it with these stats.

It goes without saying that you couldn't possibly kill the Mad Eye for the green key if this is as far as you're going in the hold. Also I'd say the green key for stat trades are pretty hard to get except right at the very end, I made one as the very last thing I did, getting the DEF and health just so I could kill the grey man for ~400 HP and get the key back.

I really enjoyed this. It's hard to keep your head above water and really makes you work for your progress, but is totally doable. Had to go all out on HP and kill the spider for over 500 damage, but I think it was the right choice. Health is easy to spend quickly at the start.
09-10-2018 at 09:12 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Gordius
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 91
icon Re: Unhold (+1)  
I basically agree with Kieran here. The portion of this that is relevant to what you've built so far is less than what you have, but I've left myself a number of currently unnecessary (and, for me, mostly unobtainable) trades off to the east that should be useful later on in the hold.

Everything was pretty tight all the way along. I was always trying to save up enough greckles or health to get the next stat boost or key that I needed, and those always opened up just enough new options to get me to the next one.

It's also basically against my nature to kill spiders for as much damage as I took in this case, but it was clear I wasn't going to improve on ~700.
09-16-2018 at 04:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Architecture : Unhold
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No