Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Annoying Level
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Almo
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 19
IP: Logged
icon Annoying Level (+1)  
So, I finished Level 8, including the really ugly one down south. And I figured, for all the people saying 8th was really hard and that 8th has the most help threads and posts, I though maybe I was past the hump.

But... Level 9. I'm not sure I'll be able to complete it. It just seems like trial and error, because the order the roaches are processed influences how they move. I don't know, man. :no I've done 3 of the rooms, and the rest are mainly different versions of what I've done. That wouldn't be so bad, but the other 3 levels were really irritating! Apolgies if I've offended the dude who designed this level. ;)

11-24-2004 at 02:12 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Watcher
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 902
icon Re: Annoying Level (0)  
Welcome to the boards, Almo!

Don't worry, you won't offend anyone. The level designers are indeed evil, and they don't mind being reminded. ;)

Level 9 may seem like trial and error at first, but you'll get the hang of it. In some of the later rooms, it's actually a bit easier to get the roaches to the right position.

11-24-2004 at 03:30 PM
Malarame
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 220
Over the hump? Heh... it's all uphill from here on out. You'll get through it though, and by the time you've joined the list of Legendary Smitemasters you'll look back on levels eight and nine and laugh at how easy they were.

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception."
-Groucho Marx
11-24-2004 at 03:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Almo
icon Re: Annoying Level (+1)  
Whew. On level 10 now. That was ugly. It was the third one that was most annoying due to the "roach ordering" thing. Problem is, I'm a game programmer, and try to work out the puzzles from how they were coded. But... when the order of the roaches in the array matters, there's not much you can do but screw around until it works! :D

11-24-2004 at 03:55 PM
Scott
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 578
Yes order that things were created in the rooms can have a big effect on puzzles. Personally I don't like that part because drod is meant to be a game where you can predict every move just from looking at the screen.
11-24-2004 at 11:20 PM
jdyer
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 329
Hmm. I don't remember *ever* thinking about roach order in the original Dugan's. I don't see why solving the 3rd room depends on it.

The only time I ever find worry about roach order is with precise tricks involving large groups of roaches (basically, causing "roach bumping"), and solving level 9 doesn't require that much precision.
11-25-2004 at 04:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Almo
It was Twice North, Twice East. If you did it wrong, you ended up with a line of roaches that would stay a line if you moved up and down. If one of the roaches is out of order, they bump and the line splits into two lines. You had to get at least one roach out of order to break it up.

11-25-2004 at 05:27 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Annoying Level
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No