Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Skell's writings on: Gamedev | Game design | Programming (Shameless self-promotion of hand-written articles)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
IP: Logged
icon Skell's writings on: Gamedev | Game design | Programming (+5)  
In my spare time I sometimes write things. By sometimes I mean pretty regularly, every day. It just so happened that I think the stuff I write is meaningful so I'd like to share it with as many people as I can - and that includes my second family DROD community. To avoid spamming the board I'll limit myself to posting about those articles only here.

Prioritizing game development
Making video games is a hard task regardless of how big is your studio. But why make it harder by mindlessly approaching development when you can sit down, think and prioritize things to make the development more enjoyable and end-product plain better?

In this article I talk about the pitfalls of not doing any kind of forethinking, how it can impact your morale and your project negatively and a way to not have this problem.

https://www.evidentlycube.com/blog/why-you-should-prioritize-tasks

[Last edited by skell at 02-22-2018 01:49 PM]
02-11-2018 at 09:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
icon Re: Gamedev | Game design | Programming (+1)  
Game Optimization: Introduction

Another week, another article (technically it's been ~10 days since the last article)!

This time I wrote an introductory piece to a series of entries about game optimization. The introduction is a neat summary of good practices and everything I'll cover in subsequent texts.

https://www.evidentlycube.com/blog/game-optimization/introduction

[Last edited by skell at 02-21-2018 10:41 PM]
02-21-2018 at 10:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
icon Re: Skell's writings on: Gamedev | Game design | Programming (0)  
Disappearing Error Message in Mysqli

If you ever worked in PHP you know it's an endless source of... various conflicting emotions. We were overhauling a lot of code recently at my job and I've encountered a pretty dumb bug in the database-connection library mysqli.

Probably not of interest to people who don't do PHP :).

https://www.evidentlycube.com/blog/disappearing-error-message-in-mysqli

04-10-2018 at 09:49 PM
skell
Updating a 7 years old project, Kulkis

Some of you may know about the fact that I make games (gasp). I've updated and released on Itch.io an old project of mine, Kulkis. It's an action game about bouncing up and down, destroying blocks and avoiding spikes.

To accompany the game's (((re)re)re)rerelease I wrote a blog post about the experiences I had while doing so.

Read the article.

04-14-2018 at 09:28 AM
skell
When to optimize code?

The second blog post in my series about code optimization covers the answer to the question when. When to optimize, when is it too soon, and when it's reasonable to do it even if it seems like it's not needed.

Read the article

04-22-2018 at 09:06 PM
skell
icon Re: Skell's writings on: Gamedev | Game design | Programming (+1)  
Introduction to design patterns?

I find it difficult to find stretches of free and sober time long enough to write more about optimization. So I've picked up something else that requires less hard thinking and creativity and more analyzing and methodical approach.

And by sober I mean not-dead-tired!

Read the article

[Last edited by skell at 07-23-2018 10:22 PM]
07-23-2018 at 10:22 PM
skell
icon Re: Skell's writings on: Gamedev | Game design | Programming (+1)  
Reviewing The Missing: JJ Macfield and the Island of Memories

Recently I played a certain game, liked it a lot, decided to review it properly.

Read the review

10-26-2018 at 10:03 PM
skell
icon Re: Skell's writings on: Gamedev | Game design | Programming (+2)  
Wow I wrote two articles before I remembered I had this thread here :O.

Running PixiJS tests in Node

While automated testing is not something you often encounter in gamedev I am one of those weird people who like to test some aspect of his games. And sometimes it can be a pain.

Read the article

Optimizing level loading in Trans Neuronica

You may recognize the title Trans Neuronica - it's a game I've been trying to finish for a few years now. I am back at it again and I've even managed to squeeze out an article detailing how I approached optimizing a real issue I encountered with slow level loading.

Read the article

04-30-2019 at 10:37 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Skell's writings on: Gamedev | Game design | Programming (Shameless self-promotion of hand-written articles)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com