Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Architecture : Great Pyramid - testers?
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
salad_days
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 16
IP: Logged

File: Great Pyramid.drh (16.5 KB)
Downloaded 64 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Great Pyramid - testers? (+4)  
Hello again. Attached is the updated version of the hold that I am working on. Feedback was implemented and a new floor was added. Looking forward to constructive criticism and spell checking - but that shouldn't be too aweful:)

I will wait a week before implementing your thoughts and ideas.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Hi. I am hoping that someone is reading this! I am not sure how active this community is anymore but I am looking for some feedback on a hold I am making. I have gotten two floors completed (I played it through a number of times with variations and have gotten to the "third floor") before I go any further in creating more levels (planning about 4 more) I would like constructive criticism.

There is back tracking and there are two score checkpoints.

Please let me know your thoughts, opinions, and critiques and generally how long it took you to play through; was it too short for two levels? Just right?

[Last edited by salad_days at 03-09-2018 11:22 PM : re-uploaded file ]
02-03-2018 at 09:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Nuntar
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 4592
icon Re: Great Pyramid - testers? (+2)  
Completed in 30 minutes. Final stats: 1526 HP, 130 ATK, 52 DEF, 7/3/2 keys.

This was a fun, easy hold. Making sensible choices early on allowed me to become powerful enough to defeat later monsters with minimal trouble.

A few rooms were constructed rather oddly:

Ground Floor 4N2E: It's possible to get the sword upgrade without spending a green key. Not sure if this was intentional.

Ground Floor 3N1W: Greckle gates are meaningless in this hold as you quickly get far more money than you need, and there is nothing else to spend it on. Same problem in the second level.

By the time I entered the second level, wraithwings and roach queens were doing single-digit damage -- even on oremites, since the Wooden Shield works on them. So everything guarded by these monsters was essentially free.

Hall of the Pharaoh (it has two As, by the way) Entrance: This is cruel, making the player choose between 4 ATK and a blue key with no idea of whether the blue key will be needed later. It's true that four blue keys are available and the hold does state that only two are needed, but we don't know at this point about future levels. My suggestion would be to have 4 ATK and no health on one side, 4 DEF and some health on the other; but it's your call.

Hall of the Pharaoh 1N1W: The player will almost certainly go for the blue key (even if it's not needed on this level, it will surely be helpful to have a spare at the start of future levels), which means that killing the brains is free, and that makes the ATK guarded by the wraithwing free.

Hall of the Pharaoh 1S1W: The tunnels make backtracking through this room a little annoying. It would be nice if reaching 1S opened up a shortcut, for instance by having pressure plates that open the blue doors on the other side.

Good luck with the next level, I'm looking forward to more! :thumbsup

02-04-2018 at 12:38 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
bomber50
Rank Points: 872
icon Re: Great Pyramid - testers? (0)  
Stats after L2
Click here to view the secret text

I liked this.

I didn't backtrack until after I completed Level 2. I could heavily improve my stats by grabbing the 5 Attack from the secret room in Level 1 earlier. I can get the Shield using the Warp Token as well.

Level 1, in my opinion, is a little too difficult. I felt forced to get the sword early, or else I would run out of HP. Considering its location, it took a few tries to find a good route. Level 2, on the other hand, felt far too easy, even when I didn't backtrack.

As Nuntar mentioned, greckles are in abundance, consider what you'd like to do about that.

Level 1 Comments

[Last edited by bomber50 at 02-04-2018 07:39 AM]
02-04-2018 at 07:35 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
Played through first two levels. Took about two hours at an optimization-heavy pace. Looks like a good start! Some notes:

Ground floor

1N:
Note that it's possible to backtrack all the way back here to drop your sword, which lets you run around with the ability to not drop trapdoors. Currently allows you to avoid losing the wooden sword for some HP gains in oremite rooms.

4N2E:
You need to open both yellow doors to exit this room regardless of which path you take. This makes the force arrows behind mud babies rather useless. Could make the mud baby routes more tempting by allowing the player to skip opening those two yellow doors.

2N2E:
The shield in this room is probably one of the most interesting decisions at the moment. Depending on how the rest of the hold will look, I could see any of the three options being feasible (keys/warp/skip). Warp can potentially be really strong on later floors and its existence is something that's good to keep in mind when making more levels.

+5ATK seems like a very easy choice at the moment given how useful 68ATK is on the first level. You could consider adjusting the other options slightly to be more competitive. Of course def might be more useful later on, but I feel like it's usually outvalued by atk in 1:1 ratios if a hold isn't balanced very carefully.

Halls of the Pharoh:

Entrance:
Blue keys are really valuable. In this hold having an extra can mean being able to afford the shield for an extra +20DEF. This choice seems very imbalanced at the moment in favor of the def gems.

Other:
By the end of L2 both tarstuff and red guard are beatable at Ground Floor: 4N. Curious to see what the plan for those is.

Greens and blues are reasonably well balanced. Yellows are perhaps slightly too plentiful after the early game. Never really felt like I was close to running out.

Stats

[Last edited by Doom at 02-04-2018 09:46 PM]
02-04-2018 at 09:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
salad_days
icon Re: Great Pyramid - testers? (+2)  
WOW. I cannot thank you all enough for your feedback. I can definitely see where improvements and changes can be made to make decision making. Also, I will be happy to improve quality of life things such as Hall of PharAoh 1S1W and Entrance as well as Ground floor 3N1E, 3N1W, 4N2E and Ground floor 1N (that is such a devilish catch I am tempted to leave it for someone to figure out) among other things that you all said.

bomber50 I cannot see the "2N: The lighting visual" that you see. I liked the suggestion that there might be a reason for it but I am not that clever.

What you all did was time consuming work and I cannot thank you enough. Credits are added in game.
02-06-2018 at 12:22 AM
salad_days
Well I am a dingus who doesn't understand how the forum works!

There is an updated version of the game (changes that were proposed and a third floor) in the original topic post at the top of the thread.

Feedback is welcomed if you have the time.
03-09-2018 at 12:31 AM
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1304
Doesn't seem to have a third floor... I replayed it and had over 2500 HP, 8YKEY (and could trade 2 of those for GKEYs) at the end, with lots that I didn't bother to collect because I didn't want to grab my wooden shield again.
03-09-2018 at 03:58 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
salad_days
Someone Else wrote:
Doesn't seem to have a third floor... I replayed it and had over 2500 HP, 8YKEY (and could trade 2 of those for GKEYs) at the end, with lots that I didn't bother to collect because I didn't want to grab my wooden shield again.

hmmm. The progression should be Groundfloor, Hall of Pharaohs, Catacombs. Catacombs was the new floor added. If you play through that floor it should have ended at a single boss and a staircase to the Sculpture Garden (which is still being worked on). I re uploaded it and I am sorry for the inconvenience but let me know if it works this time.
03-09-2018 at 11:21 PM
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1304
Okay, got it now. Maybe it's just me, but that level felt too easy. It was also odd that it was only x1. I came out of it with 1020/112/128, 2117 GR, and 9/6/4 keys. If I needed more health, I could have gotten some, and I killed the rattlesnake easily at the end (~3200 HP, but if I were optimizing I would have tried to get it lower.) It's also possible to kill the rattlesnake from the tail end, so be careful with scorepoints there (I can leave the "Defeated Priest" scorepoint until the very end of the hold).

That 3200 was without killing the brain first, and without using the speed potion. :P

[Last edited by Someone Else at 03-31-2018 07:15 PM]
03-31-2018 at 07:01 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Architecture : Great Pyramid - testers?
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com