Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Your must-play puzzle games?
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
dojo_b
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 12
IP: Logged
icon Your must-play puzzle games? (+1)  
I'm looking for logic games that stand the test of time and provide a real challenge. Creative mechanics are a plus.

I've played puzzle games since the '90s, but I was a kid and didn't exactly keep records; so below are my faves from the Steam era, in rough preference order starting from the best. (I am just now coming back to DROD after long absence.)

However, I would *love* to hear about older games with depth comparable to these or DROD. (e.g., your favorite version of Sokoban or Atomix) Thanks!!

1. Stephen's Sausage Roll

2. Braid

3. Portal

4. English Country Tune

5. The Witness

6. Snakebird

7. All Zachtronics games*

(*I like all I've tried, but their open-endedness can make them a bit less exciting for me... I have reasonable programming skills but don't
care to obsessively optimize)

8'. Great Permutator

9'. Cosmic Express

10. A Good Snowman is Hard to Build

(8-9 with the caveat I have significant chunks left unplayed)

Honorable mention:

Zen Puzzle Garden, Sokobond.

Bonus round! Solid puzzlers on the NES: Adventures of Lolo games, Fire 'n Ice, Alter Ego (homebrew).

11-14-2017 at 08:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Jacob
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3511
icon Re: Your must-play puzzle games? (+1)  
Jelly no puzzle and Hanano spring to mind.

11-15-2017 at 12:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
dojo_b
Those are fantastic, thanks! Exactly the sort of thing I was looking for.

So Broken is a recent Sokoban variant with Braid-like time manipulation, for some concise yet devilish puzzles. You have to keep track of an evolving timeline, so it tends not to reward casual play.
11-16-2017 at 05:19 PM
Dischorran
Rank Points: 1969
Tetrobot and Co. was released and sank without a trace, which was badly undeserved.

Heaven and Earth is essential and still floating around out there. Can't really say the same about the Smart Games Challenge series, unfortunately.

11-16-2017 at 10:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Daneel
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 33
Recursed is great.
11-17-2017 at 02:43 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Nuntar
Rank Points: 3235
Rather than attempt a preference order, I'll list my favourites in chronological order of when I discovered them.

1. Repton series (BBC Micro, 1985; PC remakes available from Superior Interactive)

Rocks-and-diamonds games similar to Boulder Dash, but with a different flavour due to some differences in game mechanics and selection of game objects. Probably the most significant difference is (from Repton 2 onwards) the existence of "spirits", which patrol the wall using left-hand rule and have to be guided into cages. This can lead to extremely intricate logical puzzles in working out how to connect certain cages to the wall, or the order to open the cages to allow all diamonds to be obtained.

2. Spacestation Pheta (b/w Mac, 1988)

A grid-based puzzle platformer where the main task is to collect a key and open the final airlock (sometimes with other airlocks en route), but levels could be intricate mazes where a variety of objects have to be manipulated to make this objective possible.

3. Lemmings series (many platforms, 1991; modern clones available from Lemmings Forums)

You've probably heard of Lemmings. Guide the mindless critters to the exit by assigning them certain skills, which are available in limited quantities per level. Similarly to the evolution of DROD, the modern Lemmings clones (NeoLemmmix and Lix being the best) have removed execution difficulty by providing clear-physics mode (= puzzle view) and backwards and forwards frameskipping. This has paved the way for usermade levels with absolutely fiendish levels of difficulty :P

11-18-2017 at 05:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
disoriented
Rank Points: 1301
Spacestation Pheta reminded me a lot of Lode Runner. I had lots of fun as a kid making levels for both games.

11-18-2017 at 06:59 PM
dojo_b
icon Re: Your must-play puzzle games? (0)  
Reactions to the above:

-Yeah, I have fond memories of Spacestation Pheta, and its action-puzzle sequel Gold Digger :) it's a shame Pheta has not had any port to OS X or Windows, or fan activity.

-With a game like Tetrobot I worry that its design/marketing is a bit confusing. Its production values and character design almost seem too good for a 'serious' puzzle game, and I worry I'm being led into generic adventure-game territory. That said, I bought it and intend to play.

-I wanted to like Repton, but found myself wishing the Map screen were the play screen. I dislike having such a limited view during the actual action, and it breaks immersion to go back and forth. Feels more like an exploration game than a puzzler, although I'm sure it has its charms and difficult puzzles.

-Lemmings seems to have an amazing community and support for its freeware clones. Thanks for the tips!

Two other old nerdy games stand out in my mind for having a great freeware afterlife with fans: Oxyd, a marble-manipulating dexterity/puzzle game, which lives on as the clone Enigma; and the Marble Blast series of 3D platformers.
While I'm at it, the Sokoban Online folks have done a damn good job of making a nice engine and community for sharing puzzles, both classic Sokoban and with a number of added mechanics.

[Last edited by dojo_b at 11-18-2017 10:22 PM]
11-18-2017 at 10:17 PM
Kalin
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 30
I generally prefer logic puzzle games over action puzzles. My favorite is PrismaPix, which is like a multi-layer Picross using Minesweeper clues. The free demo has 75 puzzles, and the full version gives another 4575 puzzles (1550 puzzles if you only do the hard versions).
https://www.kpixgames.com/PrismaPix/download.htm

I recently picked up a bundle of similar games, which are fine but short.
HexCells: 30 puzzles
HexCellsPlus: 36 puzzles
HexCellsInfinite: 36 puzzles + random puzzle generator
SquareCells: 36 puzzles
CrossCells: 50 puzzles
http://store.steampowered.com/bundle/3331/Logic_Puzzle_Pack/

For anyone looking for more action, the classic Chip's Challenge is available on Steam with its sequel and level editor.
http://store.steampowered.com/sub/64119/

JtRH lv 22
tSS Behind Scene
11-19-2017 at 12:56 AM
dojo_b
Just getting into Trap Them, got cheap on a Steam sale. It's a wonderful mix of difficult logic puzzles within a cool set of mechanics, and frantic Pac-Man-style arcade action... or something. It explicitly divides its levels into Puzzle, Action, and Mixed, to suit your fancy. Funky and fun old-timey presentation, like DROD. :thumbsup
11-28-2017 at 04:21 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Your must-play puzzle games?
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com