Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : DROD 5 doesn't start, error message popup (Steam version)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
adam1224
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 10
IP: Logged
icon DROD 5 doesn't start, error message popup (Steam version) (0)  
"Failed to Start DROD

Couldn't access DROD data. If you are running DROD from a networked location, this could be a cause of the problem. It's also possible that another application is trying to access DROD data at the same time; you may wish to retry running DROD after other applications have been closed."
What can I do with this? Tried reinstalling, verifying files, running as an admin from folder, and nothing changed.
05-28-2017 at 06:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
adam1224
icon Re: DROD 5 doesn't start, error message popup (Steam version) (0)  
Problem still there, anyone here?
06-21-2017 at 11:47 PM
Movac
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 24
Looks like the most likely reason for that error is if there's some problem accessing the user data files in your documents folder. DROD saves user data (your progress, any holds you've created or imported, etc) in your Documents folder under Caravel\drod-5_0. That folder should have a handful of files including data.dat, hold.dat, player.dat, save.dat, and text.dat, and the folder and everything under it should be both readable and writable. Can you start by making sure that's the case?
06-22-2017 at 12:42 AM
solarson
I have the same problem as adam1224. The folder Caravel\drod-5_0 has the attribute "read only" (and I can't change it, even through the command line). In this folder there is not a single file you specify. There are only 4 empty folders. What do we do? :?
(I have tried it on WinXP, but i'll try it later on Win10)
btw, the same problem with DROD RPG :|

[Last edited by solarson at 06-29-2017 11:10 AM]
06-29-2017 at 11:05 AM
Movac
The first thing I'd suggest trying is deleting the Caravel folder entirely then running DROD, which ought to re-create it. (You won't lose any data, since the folder's empty.) If that fails, it might be worth trying this technique to resolve any potential permissions issues with the folder.

Also, please let me know if it works for you on Windows 10! I'm running the Steam version on W10 without issues, but I don't have an XP machine at hand to test, so I'm curious if it's a problem with Steam DROD and XP.
06-29-2017 at 04:46 PM
solarson
So, I tried your method. I managed. The game started. I created a profile (in the folder there were 5 .dat files that you mentioned).

Now there is another problem. After choosing the keyboard configuration (whatever I choose), the game crashes with
Error signature - AppName: drod.exe AppVer: 0.0.0.0 ModName: drod.exe ModVer: 0.0.0.0 Offset: 000e1185
Without clue what it is)))

p.s. On Win10 everything is fine
06-30-2017 at 12:25 PM
Movac
I suspect that the Steam version of DROD may just be incompatible with Windows XP due to a bug that appeared while the game was being updated for Steam. XP is no longer supported by Microsoft and less than 1% of Steam users still use it, so it's possible that this problem could have gone unreported for months.

I'm not a member of the dev team, and while DROD is open-source I don't know my way around its code well enough to track down this issue, even if I did have an XP machine to test on. It might be worth sending an email to bugs@caravelgames.com to make sure Caravel is aware of this thread, but I don't think I can offer any more help. Sorry about that!
06-30-2017 at 09:56 PM
davidatk100
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 42
I'm having this problem too. So far nothing has worked. I have tried:

-verifying game (apparently successful)
-uninstalling and reinstalling
-deleting the Caravel folder as suggested above (the folder was recreated when game was run as predicted above)
-turning off the read-only attribute, however, when the game was run it would turn on the read-only attribute

I'm operating Windows 10, trying to launch the Steam version.

As a side note, how many DROD 'games' are there on Steam? Many of them seem to be DLC such as Journey to Rooted Hold.
01-03-2018 at 07:59 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
davidatk100
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 42
icon Re: DROD 5 doesn't start, error message popup (Steam version) (+2)  
I worked out what my problem was. My virus scanner was blocking access. Once I granted permission to DROD, it worked fine.

For anyone else who has this issue, I found someone else who had the same problem in 2003. Unfortunately I don't have enough rank points to post the link but the title of the thread on Caravel Forum is "Cannot Run Program on Windows ME". in the Bugs section.
01-05-2018 at 04:12 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mauvebutterfly
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 720
Cannot Run Program on Windows ME:
http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=453&page=0#2883

Not sure how relevant this is, but I'll post it here. Also, have some rank points.

Glad you fixed your problem.

Edit: to answer your other question, there are three DROD games on steam: Gunthro and the Epic Blunder, The Second Sky, and Tendry's Tale (DROD RPG)

All the other official holds and smitemaster's selections are DLC for GatEB.

[Last edited by mauvebutterfly at 01-05-2018 04:26 AM]
01-05-2018 at 04:20 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : DROD 5 doesn't start, error message popup (Steam version)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com