Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Illumination : Shoulder-Tapping. (It has begun.)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
IP: Logged
icon Shoulder-Tapping. (+5)  
So I started the shoulder-tapping process for getting testers on DROD: Journey to Rooted Hold. Basically, I asked people who tested on the last release (Architects' Edition) if they wanted to test again on this release. I'm not planning on asking more people unless we run out of testing juice with this first batch of signer-uppers.

Please, don't ask me if you can test. It is important for us to take a quality over quantity approach. Having a lot of testers doesn't really help us out. I am choosing to work with people who have been good contributors in the past to minimize the amount of time we spend processing bug reports. If we need more testers in addition to those from the previous release, then I'll do some more shoulder-tapping and ask people who show these qualities:

1. Participation on the forum.
2. Don't cause problems, i.e. insult other users or make thoughtless posts.
3. Good at expressing themselves.

...and that isn't asking anybody to try harder at exhibiting these qualities. I'm not making an elitist selection game out of this. After all, the people who help test are doing the Caravel team a service, and we are grateful to have them. I'm just saying that this is how the shoulder-tapping works. Enthusiasm and initiative (i.e. e-mailing me to ask) don't affect anything.

If you don't get picked for testing, please don't be jealous. You might feel like there's a party going on someplace and you weren't invited, but no... it's not like that. It's more like there is one big huge party including you and all the people on DROD.net. In the kitchen some of us are fixing up cosmopolitans and little crackers with salmon mousse. But you can't go in there because it's fracking crowded enough already, and I can barely hear myself think with all the commotion. So stay out of the kitchen! And Crampy, don't be drinking the tomato juice--it's for bloody maries!

-Erik

11-18-2004 at 09:12 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
agaricus5
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1838
icon Re: Shoulder-Tapping. (0)  
Wow!

At last, the second phase of beta has begun.

You don't know exactly how much saliva I've produced waiting for it to happen. Hopefully Matt's basement is deep enough that some of it hasn't seeped through the ceiling yet.

In other words, I can't wait!

11-18-2004 at 10:17 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
ErikH2000 wrote:
...all kinds of stuff...
I was really enthusiastic when I started reading this post, thinking I might be one of the few, the proud, the chosen... then I kept reading, and it started getting really, really weird. I'm suddenly worried for your sanity, Erik, and I've been up almost 40 hours straight!

11-19-2004 at 01:42 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
icon Re: Shoulder-Tapping. (+2)  
DiMono wrote:
I was really enthusiastic when I started reading this post, thinking I might be one of the few, the proud, the chosen... then I kept reading, and it started getting really, really weird. I'm suddenly worried for your sanity, Erik, and I've been up almost 40 hours straight!
Huh? I'm not sure what you mean here really. As for my insanity, all sorts of little voices and neuroses are hopping around in my head. It's terrible! This is what they sound like...

You're going to make somebody very angry, aren't you? Somebody is going to get really upset after you hit the "send" button, so you gotta be careful so very careful here. Writing this message is a giant responsibility. Ah, but you could be too careful too cautious too bland and that means you are dead inside--an animated husk transporting a collection of ingrained habits and preplanned responses to stimuli. Why can't you sit comfortable in that chair--something wrong there. Is your chair lopsided or do you have an asymmetrical slouch? You can't spend 16 hours a day sitting in front of a screen without expecting some bad result. As you gain one small victory in a narrow area of your life, the rest of it will fall apart. Be prepared for a massive, all-encompasing, soul-annihilating failure that will commence the moment you click on that little grey square that says "Send Message". Damn it, man! Don't do it--are you nuts?

You see what kind of freakage I have to deal with inside of my skull?

-Erik

11-19-2004 at 02:16 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
Don't worry, you'll have plenty of tomato juice left for bloody maries. I don'r really drink the stuff.

Just don't ask me to make some vodka and coke.

Matt

11-19-2004 at 11:17 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
Can I just have some coke then?

11-19-2004 at 11:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Umm... you can have some vodka...

Matt

11-20-2004 at 12:32 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Zmann
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 241
Yay. JtRH keeps getting closer and closer.
11-20-2004 at 03:02 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
icon Re: Shoulder-Tapping. (+2)  
Aah, that's right, the part deux.

We're not planning on keeping the gag order up for too much longer, at least if I understood Erik right. Probably some time before beta ends, we'll tell you everything.

I feel like I've got a little devil on one shoulder, wearing a jester hat, saying, "Go on! It's beta! This is when Erik said we'd spill the beans! And if you don't do it, one of the testers will crack and spill everything! don't put them through that!" and a little angel on the other shoulder who looks just like a Jon Stewart action figure saying, "This is not your decision. You shouldn't even be posting saying that we might lift the gag just in case we wait until release. The whole point is to not get everyone all excited and drooling, so posting anything will just set them off wait why are you moving your mouse DON'T PRESS THAT POST MESSAGE BUTTON

11-20-2004 at 04:13 AM
Schik
Rank Points: 5383
icon Re: Shoulder-Tapping. (+1)  
Mattcrampy wrote:
and a little angel on the other shoulder who looks just like a Jon Stewart action figure
Subtle, Matt. Subtle.

11-20-2004 at 04:16 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
joker5
Rank Points: 607
Very. And where did you find my shoulder-devil?

~joker5

www.badgerbadgerbadger.com

"Two words: Beam Waffle!" -me
11-20-2004 at 04:32 AM
Mattcrampy
I never said I was being subtle. In fact, I think I was being the opposite of subtle.

Matt

11-20-2004 at 04:39 AM
Fafnir
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 315
Mattcrampy wrote:
"Go on! It's beta! This is when Erik said we'd spill the beans! And if you don't do it, one of the testers will crack and spill everything! Don't put them through that!"

The beta testers will crack, eh? Excellent idea... :2evil

11-20-2004 at 11:40 AM
masonjason
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 349
Hmm. Are the shoulder-tapped people going to identify themselves to the forum populace?

11-21-2004 at 10:10 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Watcher
Rank Points: 902
masonjason wrote:
Hmm. Are the shoulder-tapped people going to identify themselves to the forum populace?

Given that there's no gag order on talking about JtRH any more, I guess it can't hurt. I'm one of them. You can recognize us by our title of Citizen.

11-21-2004 at 10:15 AM
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
I was a little curious about the testers and scrolled through the member list and picked up all Citizens.

Agaricus5
bdcribbs
bibelot
bradwall
Daniel Ehlke
DiMono
krammer
levelthirteen
Scott
sharonk
Sokko
StuartK
Watcher
Zmann

Total of 14 testers. These people will get a headstart at hold designing... Me jealous :lol
11-21-2004 at 01:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
I think you have to be more worried about these people, who have a huge headstart:

AlefBet
ErikH2000
eytanz
Mattcrampy
mrimer
Oneiromancer
Schik
trick

Matt, who hastens to add that the only real tricky bits are characters, and even then they're easy enough

11-21-2004 at 02:13 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Illumination : Shoulder-Tapping. (It has begun.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com