Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Deadly rooms are not dead! (Waiting for JtRH)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
vAmpir
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 27
IP: Logged
icon Deadly rooms are not dead! (+1)  
I wonder why almost everybody stop making a new holds. Why everybody waits for JtRH? Shall I stop playng DROD? NO, I like it and I will play it ever!

Don't forget playng DROD. It is a lifestile!

11-18-2004 at 08:29 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
rowrow
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 432
icon Re: Deadly rooms are not dead! (0)  
There are currently some contests and also people are making holds they just did not finish.

11-18-2004 at 03:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
agaricus5
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1838
icon Re: Deadly rooms are not dead! (+1)  
vAmpir wrote:
I wonder why almost everybody stop making a new holds. Why everybody waits for JtRH? Shall I stop playng DROD? NO, I like it and I will play it ever!

Don't forget playng DROD. It is a lifestile!

Well, if you can say that you've played and completed all the user holds already out there, I'd be very imprssed, since there are a large number of them, and many are very difficult. Why not go through the Holds board once more to look for some holds to play that you haven't before?

Just because a hold was released a long time ago doesn't mean that it's no good. You might be surprised at what you find.

11-18-2004 at 06:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
vAmpir
agaricus5 wrote:

Well, if you can say that you've played and completed all the user holds already out there, I'd be very imprssed, since there are a large number of them, and many are very difficult. Why not go through the Holds board once more to look for some holds to play that you haven't before?

Just because a hold was released a long time ago doesn't mean that it's no good. You might be surprised at what you find.

You can believe me or not, but I realy played all of the posted holds and some of them several times (not from the longest room contest of course :lol ). Small number of them I didn't finished but this was becouse they were not so enjoyable. The King Dugan's I've played three times. Actually, in the last few monts I have to prepare myself for PhD exams but I've used the time to play DROD instead :thumbsup OK, I've got the exams succesfully, which means that DROD is closely conected with physics :lol :lol :lol However, I didn't have time to create my own hold but I will try. I just wanted to know if anybody wil play it after realizing the JtRH.

11-19-2004 at 10:08 AM
agaricus5
vAmpir wrote:
You can believe me or not, but I realy played all of the posted holds and some of them several times (not from the longest room contest of course :lol ). Small number of them I didn't finished but this was becouse they were not so enjoyable. The King Dugan's I've played three times.

Really? All of the holds in the Holds Forum (not the Architecture Forum)? Every single one?

Completely?

If you're really serious, then you have some serious stamina.

However, I didn't have time to create my own hold but I will try. I just wanted to know if anybody wil play it after realizing the JtRH.

I'm sure people will play it if you make it. Alternatively, you could start it now, and then incorporate it into a new JtRH version of the hold with all the new elements.

11-19-2004 at 10:31 PM
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
vAmpir wrote:
I just wanted to know if anybody wil play it after realizing the JtRH.
vAmpir, A few things to keep in mind:

- We are still at least a month away from releasing.
- Holds you make now with DROD:AE can be imported into DROD:JtRH.
- If you give up on your AE hold because of JtRH's pending release, it will make me sad. :(

A big reason why the Caravel team was so quiet about JtRH development was that we didn't want to make AE hold development and side projects seem less important.

-Erik

11-19-2004 at 10:48 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
Can you import players from AE?

11-19-2004 at 11:09 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
Yes. You can import all of AE's files into JtRH. Holds, demos, players, you name it.

So don't worry about making a hold and having it become obsolete. I actually used a couple of rooms from an AE hold I was making in JtRH myself.

Matt

11-19-2004 at 11:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
cheese obsessive
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 219
So wait....I may be totally restating something already said...but JtRH is not a whole different program? Just more like an upgrade? So you could play AE holds on JtRH? Yeah...*does the 'I am probably saying something stupid' dance*

11-20-2004 at 01:44 AM
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5064
cheese obsessive wrote:
So wait....I may be totally restating something already said...but JtRH is not a whole different program? Just more like an upgrade? So you could play AE holds on JtRH? Yeah...*does the 'I am probably saying something stupid' dance*
No, this is a good question. DROD:JtRH is best considered as a sequel to DROD. It's been almost completely rewritten and is a different program, but we've specially made it so that it will still support all your original DROD:AE data, although some things will be slightly modified.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
11-20-2004 at 02:20 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
Think of it this way... do you really want to lose all your progress when you upgrade?

Yeah, didn't think so.

Matt

11-20-2004 at 03:12 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Zmann
Rank Points: 241
mrimer wrote:
No, this is a good question. DROD:JtRH is best considered as a sequel to DROD. It's been almost completely rewritten and is a different program, but we've specially made it so that it will still support all your original DROD:AE data, although some things will be slightly modified.
/me has heart attack.

[Edited by Zmann at Local Time:11-20-2004 at 03:18 AM]
11-20-2004 at 03:18 AM
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
vAmpir wrote:
You can believe me or not, but I realy played all of the posted holds and some of them several times (not from the longest room contest of course :lol ). [...] which means that DROD is closely conected with physics
I must say I do believe you that you have solved all of the user holds, as most of them are not that difficult. The only thing is, I am not a student and so I don't have the time and energy to play a lot. :lol Aber DROD is in no way like physics. It's more like playing with particles. ;)
However, I didn't have time to create my own hold but I will try. I just wanted to know if anybody wil play it after realizing the JtRH.
I will play it. Just don't make it too hard for your first one, okay?

Just wondering, do you want to make holds because you like making holds, or do you want everyone to play it? If you make it now, you know there's a lot of audience because according to you, no one else is making holds ;)

Shameless plug: have you also played my latest hold? You can find it in the holds section. [ I say this because you did say that you like my first hold, but this one is somewhat easier ;) ]

-- Tim

[Edited by Tim at Local Time:11-20-2004 at 09:57 AM]

11-20-2004 at 09:53 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
vAmpir
Tim wrote:
Shameless plug: have you also played my latest hold? You can find it in the holds section. [ I say this because you did say that you like my first hold, but this one is somewhat easier ;) ]

-- Tim

[Edited by Tim at Local Time:11-20-2004 at 09:57 AM]

You mean City of Queens? Yes, actually I completed it two days ago but haven't time for response. Good job! I like the themed holds. The room with the arrows was the hardest for me.

Aber DROD is in no way like physics.

This "Aber" points me that you are in the same country like me :D Ist das richtig? :glasses
According to the physics, did you ever have seen the Au(100) surface closely? It looks exactly like the room from DROD.
v
11-20-2004 at 01:58 PM
cheese obsessive
Rank Points: 219

...by ''slightly modified,'' do you mean "Just small things, like graphics and the such?"...or,"Some basic gameplay that will change the way some rooms are played?"

I am so incredibly paranoid... ^.^
11-20-2004 at 06:46 PM
agaricus5
cheese obsessive wrote:

...by ''slightly modified,'' do you mean "Just small things, like graphics and the such?"...or,"Some basic gameplay that will change the way some rooms are played?"

I am so incredibly paranoid... ^.^

I believe there haven't been any changes to existing monster behaviour, except the major problem with brained monsters going over force arrows you've stepped on.

However, DROD 1.7/2.0, I believe, is offering us a whole host of new monsters, new in-game features (for more pleasant gameplay) and, of course, seriously upgraded graphics.

I've seen a few real screenshots now, so although I must keep my mouth shut, I have to say that they are impressive. DROD's been given such a make-over that it's almost a entirely different game, and I'm sure the many modders out there will also be able to do a great job on creating new tilesets.

Honestly, there's nothing to be paranoid about - DROD: JtRH is very likely to be a better game than 1.6, and all the waiting will probably be worth it.

11-20-2004 at 07:31 PM
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
Mattcrampy wrote:
Yes. You can import all of AE's files into JtRH. Holds, demos, players, you name it.
StylexTiles.bmp files? Or, can they at least be added into whatever you are using for modding. Which reminds me...when you are finished it, will you be able to give me a guided tour of modding JtRH?

11-20-2004 at 09:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
wackhead_uk
Rank Points: 352
Me too! Pleease!
11-20-2004 at 10:05 PM
b0rsuk
Rank Points: 489
Yes, deadly rooms are not deadly. They are mostly "stucky"

http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20051128/adams_01.shtml
11-25-2004 at 11:59 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Deadly rooms are not dead! (Waiting for JtRH)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com