Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : An incredibly neat card... thing
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Sokko
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 336
IP: Logged
icon An incredibly neat card... thing (0)  
I would hesitate to call this a card TRICK, because there's no trick to it; you just follow the instructions, and it works, every time. The results are astounding!

Get an ordinary deck of cards and remove the two jokers. Then make four piles of cards with the deck. All the piles must go like this (to the left is the bottom, i.e. which ones you should put down first):

Ace King Queen Jack 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2

All the piles must be the same! Then, take these four piles and stack them into one pile, without any shuffling! Just stack them on top of each other.

Now, you need to do a lot of cutting. Cutting is taking some cards from the top of your big pile and putting them on the bottom. Take as many as you like each time, but no true "shuffling" is allowed. Keep moving cards from the top to the bottom until you're satisfied that they're thoroughly mixed up. Or are they?

Then, start dealing. Deal out the cards from the top of the deck face-down next to each other. Once you have 13 cards side-by-side, start over at the first dealt card and deal out the next 13 cards on top of those you just dealt. In this manner, you should wind up with 13 piles of 4 cards each. Up to this point you should not have seen the faces of the cards since you piled them together.

Now here's the kicker. Turn over each pile of cards, and... They are all neatly sorted by number!

Once you've got this one right, experiment! You can take out all of a particular card and it will still work, i.e. take out all the 2s, remove all the Aces, etc. For every number you remove, subtract 1 from the number of piles you make at the end. The only things that matter are that the only shuffling you do is cutting the deck, and that your initial 4 piles are all in the same order, but the order can be as wacky as you please. You can even take out one of everything, or two of everything, and it still works, just change the number of initial piles.

05-31-2003 at 09:57 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Sokko
icon Re: An incredibly neat card... thing (0)  
Duhr... I just figured out why this works. Don't think about it, it'll spoil the magic! And if you do figure it out, do it for your friends instead. If you figure out why it works, it totally spoils the whole thing. So don't bother!

05-31-2003 at 11:30 PM
zex20913
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1721
There are some other neat-o card tricks like this one...seemingly amazing until one thinks ;)

This trick is to be done to people. Take 21 cards from a deck, any 21, any deck, and deal them face up in columns of three. You should have a 3*7 block of cards. Ask somebody to pick a card, but not to tell which one it is. After this is done, get them to tell you the column. Pick up the cards
Click here to view the secret text
and then deal them out again. (They should be dealt left to right, then top to bottom.) Ask for the column again, repeat pick up, and again, and again pick up. Now, the selected card should be the eleventh one down. Find a fancy way of finding it, and surprise them all!

Another thing you may be able to do, I'm gonna work on this right now, is tell them the original position of the card. I'll get back to this.

Does anybody know of any word with the letters "rpr" in order other than surprise, or a form of surprise? Just curious.

06-01-2003 at 12:03 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
zex20913
Okay, back to that second part, the original position.

To do this, you need to remember which columns were picked, and in what order. The first column they say is, obviously, the column the card originated in. The next two columns determine which rows.

2-3: First row.
1-3: Second row.
3-2: Third row.
2-2: Fourth row.
1-2: Fifth row.
3-3: Sixth row.
2-1: Seventh row.

Impress your friends now by putting the eleventh card in the original spot, then flipping it over! It's amazing...

06-01-2003 at 12:18 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
Ok, maybe I'm being very dense here, but what exactly is the trick supposed to be (in Sokko's posts?) If you order your cards, and don't change the order, what's surprising about the fact that they remain ordered?

06-01-2003 at 01:23 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
zex20913
I believe he retracted his "this is ultra-neato" to a "this is ultra-neato for morons and toddlers" ;) Not calling him a moron, nor others who didn't spot it, but that was my interpretation of his second post to this topic.

06-01-2003 at 03:05 AM
Sokko
Nooo, you thought about it too much!

Obviously you're all just too smart. It took me at least 6 hours to figure out what was going on, and my sister hadn't figured it out for 24 hours before I told her! Then again, she denied there was any logic to it; she just wanted to believe it was her magic powers. (and she's what, 12 years old now? Pathetic, really.)

<sigh> Now I feel really stupid. :~)
My brain just doesn't work the way others' do. Please forgive me for posting a trick that could be figured out by someone less than half my age. I don't think of these things right away.

Oh well, if you shuffle fast enough your friends can't see what's going on. I guess. Augh, there's nothing I can do to justify my posting! Figures, perhaps the first or second time I actually start a new topic, I screw up bigtime. :~) :~) :~)

I'm going to sit in my corner now.

06-01-2003 at 04:57 PM
zex20913
I'm sorry...please come out of your corner. I didn't mean to hurt your feelings. It probably looks a lot cooler when it's done physically than when it's described.

06-01-2003 at 06:07 PM
Sokko
No, you're right. Only toddlers, morons, and me would not be able to figure it out right away. Unless you did it really fast for a friend.

I think my frobnitzer is snazzled. ;)

(If you understand the above phrase, you know what other BBS I frequent. And no fair searching for it with a search engine!)

06-04-2003 at 11:49 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : An incredibly neat card... thing
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No