Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Blackshift (Puzzling and reflexes)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Xindaris
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1531
IP: Logged
icon Blackshift (0)  
I dunno if anyone else here has ever heard of Netshift, but it's basically the game that got me into editing and playing tough top-down 2D puzzle games and probably ultimately fueled my desire to actually finish some of DROD and get to where I am now with it (i.e., actually liking it). Unfortunately, Netshift was shut down some time ago because I think it took money to keep that site up and it was free, so the guy who made it couldn't afford to keep it up.

But the good news is that said developer is in the process of making a newer version of the game called Blackshift. (Actually, Netshift's original game was Blackshift, but this new Blackshift incorporates a lot of nice improvements from Netshift.)

Blackshift is not turn-based like DROD, but it has a lot of really good potential for making puzzles anyway. If you like solving puzzles and getting recognition for being quick and having good reflexes in addition to good planning skills, it may just be a game for you. Maybe?

I just really felt the need to give the game a shout-out. It's in a kind of early access phase right now but the developer is hard at work on it, and it's only 5 bucks, which is pretty great in my opinion at least.

Here are some links to Things!
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by Xindaris at 04-03-2016 04:46 AM]
04-03-2016 at 04:45 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
uncopy2002
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 431
icon Re: Blackshift (0)  
Yes, I've heard of Blackshift and Netshift. In fact, I still have Blackshift in my hard drive (which is over 8 years ago!).

It's a very fun puzzle game with tons of new elements throwing at you as you progress through the levels, even though some action is required, so it's not a pure puzzle title like DROD. Still, it's nice.
04-03-2016 at 07:06 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Kalin
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 185
Huh, the video is 3D but the screenshots are 2D. Do you get a choice? I strongly dislike 3D games, even when there aren't huge performance problems (don't get me started on CCGs using Unity).

But Netshift was one of the most amazing games I'd ever played. Anyone remember a level called "Gnomic Passages"? It was genius in the same ways as the best DROD mastery rooms.
04-03-2016 at 11:13 PM
Xindaris
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1531
The current state of the game is 3D rendered but a top-down perspective...kinda like Link Between Worlds, but without the wall-sidescrolly bits. I think Rob Allen was under the impression that 3D looked better for completely abstract art for some reason.

It's possible some of the screenshots look 2D for this reason, and/or they're of the really old original Blackshift? I'd have to see which ones you're referring to.

Here are some links to Things!
Click here to view the secret text

04-04-2016 at 12:50 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
uncopy2002
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 431
They're from the original Blackshift.

I guess they're just placeholder graphics until the actual 3D model is done.
04-04-2016 at 04:17 AM
Kalin
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 185
uncopy2002 wrote:
They're from the original Blackshift.
No, I'm talking about these screenshots: (wait for the first to load)
https://blackshift.foon.uk/screenshots
Which match Xindaris' "3D viewed from above" description.
04-04-2016 at 08:44 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Blackshift (Puzzling and reflexes)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com