Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : DRO (One Row)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

7.9/10 (15 votes)
σ 1.00
Author Name:Kieran Millar
Submitted By:kieranmillar
Hold Name:DRO
Theme:One Row
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:1
Number of Rooms:13
Number of Monsters:17
Version:DROD: The Second Sky (5.0)
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:2 (+3 / -1)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged

File: DRO.hold (3.2 KB)
Downloaded 428 times.
License: Other
icon DRO  
DROD is a 2D puzzle game. But what happens when we make it 1D? The answer is DRO.

This is a very short hold that takes place entirely on a single row. The majority of rooms are fairly simple due to the limitations but they become a bit more tricky and complex towards the end.
03-14-2016 at 04:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
uncopy2002
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 431
icon Re: DRO (+2)  
Mastered!

If you remember blorx's entry on the Tenth by Tenth contest, it's full of that kind of room: You can only move left, right, turn your sword, and sometime perhaps placing doubles and clones. Doesn't mean things can't get tricky, though! But when in doubt, just try whatever you can and you'll figure out the puzzle soon.

Some of the things didn't make sense or was probably broken (like 3E it's perfectly okay separating the two monsters, or 6E where you don't need the last set of potions), but there are even neater things that I couldn't have imagined, like the whole reaction in 5E and the super tight exit in 7E. In fact, 7E is so tricky (requiring many lynchpins to solve) it might be even over blorx's original entry in difficulty.

Post-master rooms remind me of a flash game called Z-Rox, where you have to guess a 2D symbol from a moving 1D cross section that sweeps across the symbol. It's surprising and refreshing to see these post-master arts.

p.s It's awesome to have the chance to be the first one who masters a hold upon release :thumbsup

[Last edited by uncopy2002 at 03-14-2016 05:53 PM]
03-14-2016 at 05:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
icon Re: DRO (+2)  
Generally easy, very fun, did it without help, the best 1D art ever. Loved it, want to see more :)

Fun: 9
Difficulty: 5

03-14-2016 at 09:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Bent
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 92
icon Re: DRO (+1)  
I found this to be an interesting and enjoyable hold, and I am impressed that the architect managed to create fun and clever puzzles in such a tight space.

There were a couple of rooms I didn't really like though: I solved 1E on the first try, before I had even started to think about how I was going to solve it, and had a hard time figuring out what was supposed to be the puzzle in the first place. And I solved 3E mostly through mindless trial and error because I find this “find-the-right-sequence” type of puzzles to be pretty tedious. But again, overall I liked this hold.
03-18-2016 at 12:29 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : DRO (One Row) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com