Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : DROhou (Oh well ...)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Lucky Luc
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1215
IP: Logged

File: DROhou.hold (9.6 KB)
Downloaded 66 times.
License: Public Domain
icon DROhou (+7)  
This is the prototype for what will obviously be Caravel's next game.

What? Yes, I was a bit bored indeed. Why do you ask?

Need some sleep now. Good night!

[Last edited by Lucky Luc at 02-17-2016 02:22 PM]
02-17-2016 at 02:09 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Insoluble
Rank Points: 1638
icon Re: DROhou (+1)  
Cleared. An interesting concept for sure, and very nicely scripted. I thought the automatic check pointing at the end of each wave was a nice touch (also probably prevented this from running super slow towards the end). I assumed that I had to kill a set number of space ships to move on since that's how the original Space Invaders worked, but that doesn't seem to be the case. It would be nice if the number of ships I destroy was somehow kept track of and relayed to me at the end, but that may be a bit much for an already scripting heavy hold. Anyway, thanks for posting this!

02-17-2016 at 05:03 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
I didn't clear it but it still was pretty awesome :). A few suggestions though:
- Use Options->Processing Sequence to make it that enemy bullets are always drawn above player bullets
- Make enemy bullets a tiny bit smaller so that when they overlap with enemy bullets you can see both
- Use a different color for bullets which travel in 360 degrees
- Use Image Overlay to draw a thin horizontal line from the player to the right edge so that it's much easier to see when you're on the same level as an enemy

02-17-2016 at 07:08 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Lucky Luc
Rank Points: 1215
Thanks for the comments :) I was hoping to do something productive today, but I can't focus anyway, so have an update!

Implemented both Insoluble's and skell's suggestions. Furthermore, I added a few challenges and experimented visual prediction of the following turn. Might make things a bit easier, but especially in the endgame, where dying takes such a long time, I guess it's better this way.

Now if I don't pay attention, this might actually turn into a relatively decent hold :|

EDIT: Also, I didn't ever actually play any Touhou game, nor watch it, nor whatever. This is not intended to be a remake / hommage / whatever, it was just the first name that came into my mind :blush

[Last edited by Lucky Luc at 02-17-2016 02:27 PM]
02-17-2016 at 02:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : DROhou (Oh well ...)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com