Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Bugs : Text wrapping selection issue on level entrance text in room editor
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
kieranmillar
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2668
IP: Logged
icon Text wrapping selection issue on level entrance text in room editor (+1)  
Sorry I only found this just after the official release of 1.2.3, but it's very minor anyway. It's best explained in an example:

Make a hold, and in the main editor screen, click on the Describe button for editing the text of your level, and paste in the below text:

The Stalwart headed down the stairs into the darkened cellar below.

Now go into the room editor, and click on the player start in order to edit the text inside the room editor window. When in this window, try to click on the word "cellar" to move the blinking line onto it. Notice that you can't.

It looks to me, but this is only a guess, that the issue is that the edit box on the main editor screen is a bit wider, and so the word "cellar" appears on the first line, while inside the room editor it gets wrapped onto the second line, but the code for calculating what part of the text you're clicking on is still assuming the wider dimensions of the main editor screen when you're using the text box in the room editor.

I hope all of that made sense?

EDIT: Just to confirm, this is in the non-Steam version, so the newly found issue with incorrect mouse co-ordinates is not related to this.

[Last edited by kieranmillar at 01-27-2016 10:14 PM]
01-27-2016 at 10:13 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
icon Re: Text wrapping selection issue on level entrance text in room editor (0)  
Thanks for reporting this. I really appreciate your help with testing so we could get 1.2.3 released so quickly. We'll work on this fix for 1.2.4.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
01-28-2016 at 12:09 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
icon Re: Text wrapping selection issue on level entrance text in room editor (0)  
Wow, found some subtle text rendering issues in here, including an off-by-one error on pixel counting. This issue (and the fix) could potentially impact the rendering in any multi-line text display.

Your guess above was pretty close. There were some non-obvious algorithmic idiosyncrasies at play here.

Will be fixed in rev 161+.
(Fixed in FrontEndLib revs 568-570.)

Will also be fixed in next DROD (non RPG) builds.

Edit: please try to get the text box editing display to break with all kinds of weird possibilities. We should handle pretty much anything now. Also, there should be no beeps.

[Last edited by mrimer at 02-04-2016 01:51 PM]
02-03-2016 at 02:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
kieranmillar
I can confirm this is fixed in 1.2.3.165 :thumbsup

However it is NOT fixed in the Steam version of 1.2.3.165 for some reason, despite the other error (multi-placing the 'Neather in the editor) being fixed in Steam. :no

While noticing that this was still bugged in the Steam version, I managed to find a graphical error with the word "just" in speech, that I cannot replicate in the non-Steam version, so this must have been due to one of the errors that have been fixed. :thumbsup

[Last edited by kieranmillar at 02-06-2016 02:51 PM]
02-06-2016 at 02:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
I must have missed including this fix in the Steam version. I'll check it out.

02-06-2016 at 06:52 PM
mrimer
Is this fixed in the Steam version now?

02-16-2016 at 08:45 PM
kieranmillar
icon Re: Text wrapping selection issue on level entrance text in room editor (+1)  
I can confirm that the issue in the opening post regarding the level entrance texts is now fixed in the Steam version. :thumbsup

The issue regarding the small visual bugs in speech that I noticed in my previous post is not fixed though. It is onlt present on the Steam version and not the non-Steam version. To see what I mean, go to the character script editor and add in a Speech command, and in the box where you want to type in what is said, just type the letter j and you will see a small artefact after the j. This can occur in other words like "just". This visual bug in this text box is replicated in the actual speech box during gameplay too.
02-17-2016 at 07:36 PM
mrimer
icon Re: Text wrapping selection issue on level entrance text in room editor (+3)  
kieranmillar wrote:
The issue regarding the small visual bugs in speech that I noticed in my previous post is not fixed though. It is only present on the Steam version and not the non-Steam version. To see what I mean, go to the character script editor and add in a Speech command, and in the box where you want to type in what is said, just type the letter j and you will see a small artefact after the j. This can occur in other words like "just". This visual bug in this text box is replicated in the actual speech box during gameplay too.
I'm not seeing this in my current build. To double-check, would you please confirm whether the issue persists in the newest dev builds.

FYI -- Going forward, the DROD and RPG binaries -- both for Steam and non-Steam versions -- will now be built with identical third-party libraries, lib versions, and codebases. The main consolidation is to use SDL2 going forward for all builds. So, if you see the issue in the dev build, it would be present both on Steam and non-Steam builds, and the converse is also true. Hopefully this will make testing easier.

[Last edited by mrimer at 09-25-2020 09:34 PM]
09-25-2020 at 08:58 PM
kieranmillar
icon Re: Text wrapping selection issue on level entrance text in room editor (+1)  
For what it may be worth, I cannot see any visual artifacts on the letter j in 1.2.8.alpha.2020-09-26.
09-27-2020 at 12:11 PM
mrimer
kieranmillar wrote:
For what it may be worth, I cannot see any visual artifacts on the letter j in 1.2.8.alpha.2020-09-26.
Thank you for confirming. Good enough for me! :)

09-27-2020 at 04:52 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Bugs : Text wrapping selection issue on level entrance text in room editor
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com