Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Holds : Castle Repton (Gem collection)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

8.6/10 (7 votes)
σ 1.59
Author Name:Michael S. Repton
Submitted By:Nuntar
Hold Name:Castle Repton
Theme:Gem collection
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:8
Number of Rooms:32
Number of Monsters:387
Version:DROD RPG: Tendry's Tale (1.2)
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:3 (+513 / -510)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged

File: Castle Repton.drh (23 KB)
Downloaded 391 times.
License: Other
icon Castle Repton  
Features of this hold:

* Hot tiles do constant damage, not percentage damage.
* No weapon or shield slots. Weapons are discarded on gaining a better weapon, and you cannot return to a previous weapon or to being swordless. This does not apply to accessories; the later levels have accessory slots to help you move your accessories around.
* Custom equipment (thanks to Chaco for the graphics!)
* A mechanism in the final level plays the same role as the Machines in Tendry's Tale, allowing you to choose between purchasing HP, ATK or DEF.
* Seven different accessories are obtainable throughout the hold. There is no post-game level rewarding you for unused accessories, so go ahead and try to find the best place to use each one!
01-02-2016 at 04:08 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Blondbeard
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1486
icon Re: Castle Repton (+1)  
Brilliant hold! I am particularly impressed by how geckles are handled. All through the hold greckles are resources that have to be evaluated against all the other resources. How many greckles is a HP worth?

And all the way to the very final level there is a fine balance of keys. Usually at some point in a hold you reach a tipping point, where keys just start to accumulate on their own. Or HP. Or greckles. That point came very late for this hold.

I enjoyed playing it immensely. My only small nitpick would be the Aumtlich. It’s the only enemy preventing you from picking up HP as you go along. 10 for fun, 7 for difficulty.

01-15-2016 at 04:19 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Lucky Luc
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1215
icon Re: Castle Repton (+1)  
This is certainly a very interesting hold. Everything is well balanced, though I felt like the first two levels were quite a bit harder than the rest of the hold (then again, that's the way I feel about most RPG holds).

One particularly interesting feature of this hold is the use of accessories starting with the third level. For none of them it's really clear where's the best place to use them and there's no accessory swap chain, so there's certainly a lot of room for optimizers there. Also, there's apparently
Click here to view the secret text

So yes, another RPG hold that is definitely worth checking out! :)

[Last edited by mrimer at 03-02-2016 02:39 PM]
03-02-2016 at 12:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Holds : Castle Repton (Gem collection) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com