Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Delay (Puzzles with a story.)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

8.9/10 (14 votes)
σ 0.88
Author Name:Sebastien
Submitted By:Insoluble
Hold Name:Delay
Theme:Puzzles with a story.
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:8
Number of Rooms:71
Number of Monsters:1137
Version:DROD: The Second Sky (5.0)
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:24 (+24 / -0)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged

File: Delay19.hold (509.2 KB)
Downloaded 519 times.
License: Other
icon Delay  
Hi, this is my first hold. It has mostly thematic levels, but I tried to include a good variety so hopefully there is something for everyone. Just about every monster type and element makes an appearance. Quite a few of the puzzles focus on serpent manipulation, altering the time line, and complex pushing mechanics, since I happen to like those things a lot. It also has a somewhat silly plot running throughout that I hope is enjoyable.
12-10-2015 at 03:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
disoriented
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2386
icon Re: Delay (+5)  
The storyline is very enjoyable, I wish I could write like this.

On Inf St 1S, if Beethro avoids the time tokens and steps on the conquer tokens (trapping himself), the challenge is still awarded.

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.
12-13-2015 at 07:48 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Insoluble
Rank Points: 1638
icon Re: Delay (+1)  
disoriented wrote:
On Inf St 1S, if Beethro avoids the time tokens and steps on the conquer tokens (trapping himself), the challenge is still awarded.
Thanks for pointing this out! I'll try to fix the scripting and post an update to the hold.

Also, several rooms in this hold will not work properly if you are playing in a build prior to 6060. You can update to build 6060 (or , for those of you visiting us from the future, whatever the latest version is) by following the link here: http://forum.caravelgames.com/downloads.php . Huge thanks to Rompeprop for pointing this out!

Lastly, I just wanted to say thanks again to the awesome beta testers: disoriented, Blorx1, Crimson Moon, and Nuntar and to the HAs Dischorran and Doom!

12-14-2015 at 08:12 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mxvladi
Rank Points: 2505
Mastered.

Pretty fun hold full of clever puzzles, mostly based on TSS elements (time tokens, fluff, pushing mechanics). Some neat tricks I haven't seen used before, in particular in time clone rooms.

Sadly a few rooms - mostly ones in first two levels - aren't as great, and some rooms seem to have unintended solutions. Still, good work, especially considering it's first published hold of the architect.

6,5 difficulty 9 overall

[Last edited by mxvladi at 12-15-2015 08:02 AM]
12-15-2015 at 08:00 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Lucky Luc
Rank Points: 1215
Debut or not, this is a fantastic hold! Starts off with easy enough (though still interesting) puzzles, so you might expect this one to be a breather hold. That all changes, of course, once you enter level 2. From now on, you will encounter a selection of very tricky and incredibly clever lynchpin rooms you probably haven't seen before. Think you know time clones, for example? Enter "Eternity", which was my favourite level of the hold, and think again.

Apart from the puzzles, I really want to praise the plot. It starts of with a simple situation anyone who travels by train from time to time should be familiar with, but quickly evolves into a crazy SF parody full of lampshades and references. I literally laughed out loud through most of the cutscenes.

Does this hold have any problems? Yes, it does. There are a few rooms that are a bit too execution-heavy for my taste, and at some points the plot maybe gets a bit too silly. Still, I found this way too enjoyable to give it any less than 10 for fun. 7.5 difficulty.
12-16-2015 at 05:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
IQubic
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 78
icon Re: Delay (0)  
The version of this hold linked to in the first post (Delay19) seems to have an issue with D.I.C.A. 1S 2W. The guard has a sword instead of a stick making the room impossible to solve.

EDIT: I was using an outdated version of TSS. I have fixed the issue.

[Last edited by IQubic at 02-21-2016 02:08 AM]
02-21-2016 at 02:04 AM
IQubic
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 78
Is D.I.C.A. 1S 2W still possible in 5.1? If it is would you be able to tell me how to reconquer it without losing my progress in the hold?

EDIT: It is still possible, and the method I used was a slight modification of my pre-5.1 solution.

[Last edited by IQubic at 03-13-2016 04:30 PM]
03-13-2016 at 04:17 PM
Insoluble
Rank Points: 1638
Thanks for pointing this out! There are a couple of other rooms in the hold that have guards with alternate weapons so I tested them out with the new guard behavior. They are also still possible, though the older demos that worked under 5.0.1.6060 may no longer work.

03-14-2016 at 02:14 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Delay (Puzzles with a story.) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com