Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : [WIP] Beethro and The Great Arid Canyon (v2) (Need some testing for an unfinished hold.)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Fix-It Fixen
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 15
IP: Logged

File: Beethro and The Great Arid Canyon v2.hold (462.4 KB)
Downloaded 56 times.
License: Public Domain
icon [WIP] Beethro and The Great Arid Canyon (v2) (0)  
I've been working on and off with this hold for about a year or so, now. I thought of the concept of having you fight with only the staff, having to kill enemies with the use of the environment over the course of an entire hold. So I made the first level and forgot about it for a while. Recently, I've gotten back into it, and now I intend to finish it. Still, I became more and more uncertain wether the hold was any good or not.
The Hold is unfinished, and doesn't continue after the second room in the third level.

Do tell me what you think, give criticism and give advice if you can.

Update Log:
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by Fix-It Fixen at 12-05-2015 02:31 PM]
12-05-2015 at 11:30 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Fix-It Fixen
icon Re: [WIP] Beethro and The Great Arid Canyon (0)  
Here are some screenshots, in case you are interested:
The Great Arid Canyon
The Temple of Former Architects Grand
The Other End of The Canyon

12-05-2015 at 01:43 PM
Nuntar
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 4590
icon Re: [WIP] Beethro and The Great Arid Canyon (+1)  
First, always have your hold Anyone-Edit during its stay in Architecture.

I love the concept for the hold -- curiously, someone asked in chat recently whether there are any holds that have a non-sword weapon for the entire hold. So there's definitely demand for this sort of thing.

Rooms look absolutely gorgeous.

1W: Checkpoints after the bottom middle and top-left queens, please. The (18,4) cp is useless because you don't have the luxury of time with spawning roaches.

2W: Perhaps too much in one room. The roach+briar part felt like an afterthought, much easier than the gentryii area, and the fluff part was also very easy.

1S3W: The first puzzle was fine. The constructs part doesn't add much to the room, and why do I have to do exactly the same thing four times? Trapdoor area is trivial and pointless.

1S2W: Disappointingly easy for a final room. I have an idea for a harder version of this room, which I'll make for you after lunch, see what you think.

TFAG 2S: "Noisemaker" is cut off on the scroll. 250497th Miner, really? That suggests a much higher population than the canon games.

2S1W: Pressure plates in the queen's area are multi-use, not on-off toggle. No need for the mirrors, then, I can just step on them myself.

I find it preferable to avoid token + arrow on the same square as it's hard to read. YMMV.

(28,14) door prevents me from continuing after visiting secret.

12-05-2015 at 02:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Fix-It Fixen
icon Re: [WIP] Beethro and The Great Arid Canyon (0)  
Nuntar wrote:
First, always have your hold Anyone-Edit during its stay in Architecture.

I love the concept for the hold -- curiously, someone asked in chat recently whether there are any holds that have a non-sword weapon for the entire hold. So there's definitely demand for this sort of thing.

Rooms look absolutely gorgeous.

1W: Checkpoints after the bottom middle and top-left queens, please. The (18,4) cp is useless because you don't have the luxury of time with spawning roaches.

2W: Perhaps too much in one room. The roach+briar part felt like an afterthought, much easier than the gentryii area, and the fluff part was also very easy.

1S3W: The first puzzle was fine. The constructs part doesn't add much to the room, and why do I have to do exactly the same thing four times? Trapdoor area is trivial and pointless.

1S2W: Disappointingly easy for a final room. I have an idea for a harder version of this room, which I'll make for you after lunch, see what you think.

TFAG 2S: "Noisemaker" is cut off on the scroll. 250497th Miner, really? That suggests a much higher population than the canon games.

2S1W: Pressure plates in the queen's area are multi-use, not on-off toggle. No need for the mirrors, then, I can just step on them myself.

I find it preferable to avoid token + arrow on the same square as it's hard to read. YMMV.

(28,14) door prevents me from continuing after visiting secret.

Thanks for the compliment on how the rooms look. :thumbsup

Other than that, I have already fixed 2S1W issues. I will upload a new version swiftly. Also, thanks for the hint as to keeping the names and numbers canonical.

12-05-2015 at 02:07 PM
Someone Else
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1300
icon Re: [WIP] Beethro and The Great Arid Canyon (v2) (0)  
I really dislike the inability to go back to the previous room to adjust my facing - if I'm trying to optimize, that's really annoying because it means I have to restore further back.

The first level isn't very hard; I enjoyed it quite a bit.

TOFAG:2S1E - the room would be much the same with two fewer golems, but bringing 5(4) up is rather repetitive.

2S1W - You can bring a sword out of the hot tile area, if you wish. Also, I can't return east.

Other than that, it looks pretty good!

[Last edited by Someone Else at 12-06-2015 06:35 AM]
12-06-2015 at 06:35 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Fix-It Fixen
icon Re: [WIP] Beethro and The Great Arid Canyon (v2) (0)  
Someone Else wrote:
I really dislike the inability to go back to the previous room to adjust my facing - if I'm trying to optimize, that's really annoying because it means I have to restore further back.

The first level isn't very hard; I enjoyed it quite a bit.

TOFAG:2S1E - the room would be much the same with two fewer golems, but bringing 5(4) up is rather repetitive.

2S1W - You can bring a sword out of the hot tile area, if you wish. Also, I can't return east.

Other than that, it looks pretty good!

I'll get around to fixing things soon.:D

12-06-2015 at 01:00 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : [WIP] Beethro and The Great Arid Canyon (v2) (Need some testing for an unfinished hold.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com