Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Do It Again (Seeding beacons and constructs)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

7.6/10 (10 votes)
σ 1.36
Author Name:Joko
Submitted By:jokokoe
Hold Name:Do It Again
Theme:Seeding beacons and constructs
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:3
Number of Rooms:29
Number of Monsters:103
Version:DROD: The Second Sky (5.0)
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:5 (+5 / -0)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged

File: Do It Again.hold (9.7 KB)
Downloaded 421 times.
License: Other
icon Do It Again  
This is the first hold I do not make for myself but for the community so I hope you will enjoy it. I've discovered DROD when I was a child , playing the architect edition. And now here we are , DROD is one of the greatest game I ever played. I would like to thanks the developers who made a great job creating this game, and even a better one by leting us crafting our own rooms.
11-09-2015 at 06:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
disoriented
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2379
icon Re: Do It Again (+1)  
Very pretty decorations and room color themes. (They get better as you go)

Enjoying the puzzles. Nice job.

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.
11-10-2015 at 09:41 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
zex20913
Rank Points: 1721
icon Re: Do It Again (+1)  
HA-ish note: If you conquer First Level 1N1E, you will not be able to re-enter that room without restoring. You're warned.

[Last edited by zex20913 at 11-10-2015 02:12 PM]
11-10-2015 at 02:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Insoluble
Rank Points: 1638
icon Re: Do It Again (+2)  
As someone who spent a good amount of time play-testing this hold when it was in architecture, I'm thrilled to see that it's finally been released. This is a great new hold that explores the idea of rooms which you need to traverse more than once. Remember that amazing pair of interconnected multi-pass rooms in TSS? Yeah, imagine that concept expanded to an entire level!

The first and third levels will require you to play through just about every room multiple times, but each play-through feels completely different due to subtle differences in the room entrance, (weapons and tarstuff tokens often make a huge difference). For example, the northern branch of the first level has you clearing tarstuff, but with completly different weapons depending on which play-through you are on. In one attempt you'll get to explore the mechanics for clearing tar with powder-kegs which is interesting enough to be a whole hold in itself!

The hold has a somewhat linear feel for the most part so that the mechanic of multiple passes can be enforced. The difficulty level isn't too terrible though so you never feel boxed in because of this. You also get a bit of a break from the linearity in the second level which is a more open design.

There are loads of neat puzzles in here, and probably something for everyone. There are also quite a few interactions that haven't been explored before in a published hold. The powder keg tarstuff puzzles mentioned above are extremely interesting. There's also a neat room on the second level that uses fegundos and seeding beacons to add a really interesting twist to the usual "lights out" style puzzle and breaths a breath of fresh air into that puzzle type.

Short summary: This is a fun hold that's not too difficult but offers a lot of variety and has a very interesting premise. You should play it.

EDIT: One last thing. Here's a good bit of advice for those of you who like to have a full set of victory demos for everything (to help others in H&S and so on.) Remember to hit F4 to record demos since you will be passing through most rooms without fully clearing them, thus not necessarily recording demos automatically.

[Last edited by Insoluble at 11-11-2015 06:09 AM]
11-10-2015 at 02:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Do It Again (Seeding beacons and constructs) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com