Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Blackout: A First Person DROD Hold (Breaking just about every rule of good hold design)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Lucky Luc
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1215
IP: Logged

File: Blackout RC.hold (5.2 MB)
Downloaded 40 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Blackout: A First Person DROD Hold (+6)  
So,

after a pretty extensive DROD break, here I am again. And though my big project thingy is still kind of slumbering, here's something a little ... different.

I had this idea when I read about a possible Haunted Hold contest. Well, basically I had it a while back, but this time I actually tried implementing it. The basic idea is that grid-based games are no good at being scary because you can see what's behind you. Well, what if you could actually only see the tiles that Beethro sees? Add a stock horror plot and you're ready to go!

This is a short hold, only twenty rooms and about half of them are almost purely plot-related. I tried to go for atmosphere rather than difficulty this time, but it's possible I failed. I hope that except for the cases where I intended it, it only relies little on hidden information; please point out if you disagree.

This hold has three endings: A good one, a bad one and a very bad one. Of course, which is which is a question of perspective.

The scripts are a gigantic mess (I read a chat conversatioin earlier that DRODscript tends to result in this. How true!). Still, if you want to use or modify them, feel free to do so :)

So yeah. I have no idea if this is enjoyable at all, but I sure hope it is at least half as fun as it was to create.

PS: Proof readers are welcome ;)

EDIT:
First release candidate uploaded.

[Last edited by Lucky Luc at 10-23-2015 01:22 PM]
10-14-2015 at 11:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1908
icon Re: Blackout: A First Person DROD Hold (+1)  
I took a quick look at the first room and..

Very neat visually.
Great story line and dialogs.

Not fun game play for me. It is annoying to me to try to solve a puzzle only seeing a bit of it at a time. That being said, I imagine many people will love it. I hope you get more feedback from others.
10-16-2015 at 02:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
D.Craven_0ne
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 201
Oh yeah, I did play through this before work yesterday.
It's fun but also a pain. Lets just say, you stopped at the right spot with difficulty, 'cos undoing anything takes forever.

That said, apart from 4S1W most rooms are simple enuff.
Found all 3 endings but I looked way too long for the one where you chicken out(Didn't realise that was an ending untill I gave up and looked at the script.), even though that was the very first thing i did.

I kinda wanted to stab the crazy lady, so I was sad that it wasn't set up as her being an important npc and the room restart if you do, instead it was just invincible.

In the gen room the last 2 lines are both siad by the negotiator
"That is weird. Can you fix it?" and "I'll try."
I assume one would belong to Beethro.

2S2E after powers back you're told to "Run!" by a noone in particular, yet Beethro responds.
-Also if you go back in the baby spawning room you get the secret ending! The lady never died and there are TWO babies!:yes

Anyway twas fun!

EDIT:
Oh yeah and the script in 1W also repeats if you revisit the room.

[Last edited by D.Craven_0ne at 10-16-2015 10:40 PM : Cause thinking is hard and I tend to 4get everything!]
10-16-2015 at 10:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Lucky Luc
icon Re: Blackout: A First Person DROD Hold (+2)  
Thanks for the feedback, both mod points and comment-wise :)

Okay, I guess "interesting concept, but painful" is the general consensus. Then again, that's kind of what I feared / expected, so I can live with that. At the moment I still plan to get it promoted, though, unless someone tells me what a terrible idea this is, hoping it will find its niche fanbase ;)

Thanks for pointing out the scripting issues, they should be fixed now. I also made the character in 1W invulnerable now (duh!). And since I changed the overlay layer, the challenge completed thing is now visible for the easy way out, too, hopefully making it more obvious as one of the possible endings.

Yup, 4S1W turned out a bit harder than intended. But I kind of liked it, so I kept it in. Do you think it's too hard?

Hm, maybe I'll do that Critical Hero thing. Would make sense in a way.

Otherwise, I guess I'll wait if there are some more comments coming. Getting it promoted for Halloween would be fantastic, of course, but probably a bit too optimistic ...
10-16-2015 at 11:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Lucky Luc
icon Re: Blackout: A First Person DROD Hold (0)  
Beta 3 uploaded.

Only minor fixes, really. Most notably, I've added a few checkpoints, 1E is now conquerable and crazy woman a critical hero.

Also, I've experimented with an (extremely) nerfed version of the hold. It's about as scary as lasagna (yes, I depend on jump scares to create a horror hold. I'm a terrible storyteller, okay? Also sorry for the nonsense comparison), but it should make it a *lot* more playable. Too playable, maybe.

Anyway, I've attached it, so if you don't like playing the original version, maybe you want to give this one a try :)
10-20-2015 at 03:34 PM
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1908
icon Re: Blackout: A First Person DROD Hold (+2)  
On the good side, changing the lighting so the player can see the entire room makes it much better for me.

On the other hand, I assume you designed the hold intending to have the lighting you started with which was unique. I sorta hate to give up the original lighting. I wonder if the user could choose the "original" or "see everything" option when starting.
10-20-2015 at 11:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Lucky Luc
Thanks a lot, that's an awesome idea! :thumbsup Feeling a bit silly now for not thinking of it myself, though ...

So yeah, beta4 uploaded. No differences gameplay-wise, only merged both holds into one.

Of course this raises some questions concerning high scores. Kind of feels unnecessary to play the entire hold twice (even though it's short), so maybe I should mark one of the levels entirely unscorable?

But I'm getting ahead of myself; it's not even submitted yet. I would still appreciate some more comments (maybe a second tester playing through it) and proof-reading ;)

(Also kind of tempted now to try and create some trickier bonus angel rooms for Puzzle mode ...)
10-21-2015 at 01:27 PM
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3406
So I conquered it. In a manner of speaking. I like the gimmick, and note that holds do not have to be all things to all people. Right-clicking can probe anywhere, whether in line of sight or not, but I'm not sure there's a way around that.

Also, it's "no one".

10-21-2015 at 10:32 PM
Lucky Luc
icon Re: Blackout: A First Person DROD Hold (0)  
Yeah, you're probably right. Let's get this thing released, then :)

I don't really mind the right-clicking; if anyone wants to do that, they're welcome to. I personally think the mini-map is more spoilerish, but I'm okay with that, too.

So yeah. Fixed "no one" and unchecked "Show Exit Level" in the beginning. Otherwise, I guess it's well enough tested now, so I'll submit it.
10-23-2015 at 01:30 PM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3623
Player's note - I was trying to do 4S1E facing North for a while, which almost works except that the line-of-sight rules prohibit getting the northern plate held down and keeping both the west and east statues in sight. It took me a while to decide that approach wouldn't work.

I'm not really sure anything can really be done about that, but I thought I'd mention it anyway.

10-24-2015 at 04:51 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Blackout: A First Person DROD Hold (Breaking just about every rule of good hold design)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com