Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Dungeons of Snoll Entries - first running (The race begins!)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
DiMono
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1181
IP: Logged

File: contest.zip (11 KB)
Downloaded 84 times.
License: Other
icon Dungeons of Snoll Entries - first running (0)  
Alright, it turns out there were exactly two entries for this first running of the contest: Sim and Doom. Of course, this could only mean one thing...

DEATHMATCH!

Sim, Doom, you're racing through each other's hold for that coveted 100pts and an item. One of you gets first, one of you gets second.

"But wait," I hear you cry, "there are three prizes." And you're absolutely right. This, of course, presents a slight problem. I mean, here I am with 175 points to award in prizes, but only two people entered. The solution, my friends, is both simple and unexected:

In an effort to do something unprecedented here in the world of DROD contests, I am going to start up a second contest right in the middle of this one! Sim and Doom are going to split first and second in some way, but I'm going to open up third place to the first other person who can submit a full set of victory demos for both holds.

BEGIN!

[Edited by DiMono at Local Time:10-16-2004 at 08:05 PM]

10-16-2004 at 08:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
DiMono
icon Re: Dungeons of Snoll Entries - first running (0)  
Alright, I just played the rooms Sim wasn't able to provide victory demos for, and they are indeed defeatable. Viva la revolucion.

10-16-2004 at 08:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
icon Re: Dungeons of Snoll Entries - first running (+1)  
Here you are!

24 Victory demos.

12 mine, 12 Sim's

edit: Huh, 12 rooms in 19 minutes. That's a way to go...

[Edited by Doom at Local Time:10-16-2004 at 08:29 PM]
10-16-2004 at 08:24 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
DiMono
Alright Doom, I'm checking out your demos as we speak. Please check your PMs for one from me :)

10-16-2004 at 08:42 PM
Sim
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 90
Yay, I finished...after 45 minutes :(
Very good hold Doom, I'm amazed that you managed to make that hold in such a short time, I think you deserve to win.
Good game :)

[Edited by Sim at Local Time:10-16-2004 at 08:56 PM: Added demos]
10-16-2004 at 08:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
DiMono
Sim wrote:
Yay, I finished...after 45 minutes :(
Very good hold Doom, I'm amazed that you managed to make that hold in such a short time, I think you deserve to win.
Good game :)

[Edited by Sim at Local Time:10-16-2004 at 08:56 PM: Added demos]
Yeah, it shocked me a little too. There was a lot of intricacy in his hold that really impressed me, and I think it's proof positive that the more you do something, the better you get.

I commend both of you on building your holds so quickly.

First place, for 100 points and an item from the DROD store (or an advanced copy of JtRH) goes to Doom
Second place, for 50 points and a hug from mom, goes to Sim
Third place, for 25 points and a nap, is still up for grabs! First person to post their demos gets 25 points!

Oh, I almost forgot. You also both get 5 points for entering a complete hold of 12 rooms. So that's 105 for Doom, and 55 for Sim

[Edited by DiMono at Local Time:10-16-2004 at 09:27 PM]

10-16-2004 at 09:12 PM
Doom
I don't recommend building holds this quickly. It's incredibly exhausting to make rooms after rooms with clock running all the time.
There's not even time to playtest properly. I made the levels really quickly and I still had really little time to test them until the next theme was announced.

(I got the ideas quickly because I've made a few similar rooms before)

Time limit was increased by 30 minutes and I still finished it a few minutes late.
That's what you get for aiming for complexity. Playtesting takes twice as much time as the level building.

One more thing, I didn't even have time to write level descriptions :D

And there's a little bug in level 3 entrance that makes it easier. Too bad, I didn't have time to fix it :)
10-16-2004 at 09:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Doom
I'll release and updated version tomorrow. (Already found 3 bugs in current version)

But now I go to bed ;)
10-16-2004 at 09:51 PM
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
I just completed the holds - I'll send the demos in a minute.

10-16-2004 at 10:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
DiMono
agaricus5 wrote:
That's cool, at this point you can just attach them. Congratulations. I'm inwardly pleased it's you claiming third place, because I know you were trying very hard to make a hold earlier but didn't have enough time to do what you wanted to with it.

And just like that, the first running of the Dungeons of Snoll contest has finished.

First place: Doom, for 105
Second place: Sim, for 55
Third place: Agaricus, for 25

...wow, that extra 5 points for a full hold makes everything end in a 5... that's pretty nice.

For those who didn't get to participate in this installment, the second one will be starting in negative 1017 weeks, 4 days. The level concepts will be different, and I think it's reasonable to say those who won points in the first running shouldn't compete in the second.

Edit: That might just have been the funniest typo I've ever seen...

[Edited by DiMono at Local Time:10-16-2004 at 11:21 PM]

[Edited by DiMono at Local Time:10-16-2004 at 11:24 PM]

10-16-2004 at 11:05 PM
agaricus5

File: Agaricus Snoll Demos.zip (26.3 KB)
Downloaded 51 times.
DiMono wrote:
agaricus5 wrote:
That's cool, at this point you can just attach them. Congratulations. I'm inwardly pleased it's you claiming third place, because I know you were trying very hard to make a hold earlier but didn't have enough time to do what you wanted to with it.

Oops. Just sent it via e-mail.

These are quick notes - I'm a little tired now, so I'm not 100% coherent:

In reference to the holds, Doom, yours was very cool. A bit buggy, but surprisingly complicated. I guess it was lucky that you'd built rooms like this before, and so were able to make these quickly.

L2 Entrance was very clever, and stuck out to me as one of my favourites. In fact, it's given me a bit of inspiration for a room or two.

I didn't like L3 1E, or 1N 2E much, since they involved hiding things, which is not my favourite kind of theme. However, the Entrance and 1E make up for it for being very innovative.

Sim, although your hold was easier, it still contained some cool ideas too. The ones that I liked especially were L1 Entrance, L2 1S 1E, and L3 1S, of which the latter forced me to squint at the screen and look for lines of Evil Eye vision for about 5 minutes.

I suppose the only problem with it was the fact that you had quite a few more easy rooms in there, although looking at the time constraints you had, you did a pretty good job anyway.

Congratulations to you two for making the holds in such a short space of time.

Edit: Attached demos - Some of them, especially for Doom's hold, contain trivial (or easier than expected) solutions.

[Edited by agaricus5 at Local Time:10-16-2004 at 11:25 PM]

10-16-2004 at 11:21 PM
agaricus5
DiMono wrote:
For those who didn't get to participate in this installment, the second one will be starting in 627 weeks, 1 day. The level concepts will be different, and I think it's reasonable to say those who won points in the first running shouldn't compete in the second.

I believe there is a typo in your tag somewhere. I would guess that waiting nearly 2 years for a contest to start would test the patience of just about anyone. :)

10-16-2004 at 11:23 PM
DiMono
agaricus5 wrote:
DiMono wrote:
For those who didn't get to participate in this installment, the second one will be starting in 627 weeks, 1 day. The level concepts will be different, and I think it's reasonable to say those who won points in the first running shouldn't compete in the second.

I believe there is a typo in your tag somewhere. I would guess that waiting nearly 2 years for a contest to start would test the patience of just about anyone. :)
By 2 years do you mean ...12.5? I'm about to make a post in the Site forum about allowing - as well as / as the delimiter in the untiltime tag.

10-16-2004 at 11:25 PM
agaricus5
DiMono wrote:
agaricus5 wrote:
DiMono wrote:

By 2 years do you mean ...12.5? I'm about to make a post in the Site forum about allowing - as well as / as the delimiter in the untiltime tag.

Of course I do. My coherence factor has dropped to about 1/7. That's probably why I looked at "week" and thought "day".

I need sleep. :)

10-16-2004 at 11:27 PM
Doom

File: Dooms Expansion.hold (6.1 KB)
Downloaded 65 times.
Fixed some bugs in my entry.

L1-Entrance : You could kill the roach queen too early by stepping on arrow diagonally. You shouldn't also follow it past the trapdoor but use the mimic.

L1-1E : You could kill the roach queens and finish the wraithwing with mimic.

L2-1E : You could ignore the snake and kill the roach easily because there was a path to the roach that should've been snake-only.

L3-Entrance : The roach in upper left corner should've been possible to kill with mimic only when it hasn't moved into an arrow.

edit:Fixed small extra bug in L1-Entrance
edit:Fixed some more small things. Now it's finished. No more updates.
edit:Tried to fix jdyer's bug in 1E
edit:Patmo's bug in Entrance fixed

[Edited by Doom at Local Time:10-19-2004 at 04:55 AM]
10-17-2004 at 07:55 AM
jdyer
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 329

File: DE Follow the leader 1E Victory.demo (864 bytes)
Downloaded 59 times.
Doom wrote:
edit:Fixed some more small things. Now it's finished. No more updates.

I hate to do this, but I'm guessing this solution I'm attaching for 1E on the first level is nothing like you intended. I'm not sure what the roach queens are even for.
10-17-2004 at 07:04 PM
Doom
Hmm... This could be difficult to fix, I'll see if I can make it work correctly.
10-17-2004 at 07:09 PM
Doom
I've fixed it.

If someone finds still another way to do it, it can stay as an alternative solution.

At least I can't do it your way anymore. When I get home, I'll make sure it's possible too O:- (Didn't have time to check that this morning...)

--------------------
Tested and finished.
--------------------

[Edited by Doom at Local Time:10-18-2004 at 02:25 PM]
10-18-2004 at 11:42 AM
patmo98
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 39

File: DE Follow the leader The Entrance Victory.demo (1.1 KB)
Downloaded 62 times.
Doom wrote:
I've fixed it.

If someone finds still another way to do it, it can stay as an alternative solution.

I think you will have to do that. I completed the room and I still can't figure out what the queen in the first room is for.
10-19-2004 at 01:13 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Dungeons of Snoll Entries - first running (The race begins!)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com