Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : DROD on steam
Page 3 of 12
4567>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
IP: Logged
icon Re: DROD on steam (0)  
I think Matt was too trolling me, but I was playing along with some banter. I do like that term. Are you seriously suggesting we use that?

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 02-08-2016 07:52 PM]
02-08-2016 at 07:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Rank Points: 5381
I wasn't trolling :(

It's not an established genre or anything, but it was just the term that came to mind when I thought of what RPG *is*.

02-08-2016 at 07:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Lamkin
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 606
icon Re: DROD on steam (+1)  
Holy. Cow. I'm excited to see the DROD RPG Steam page. :w00t
Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who helped get the game on Steam. :)
Can't wait for the 12th.
02-08-2016 at 07:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Schik wrote:
It's not an established genre or anything, but it was just the term that came to mind when I thought of what RPG *is*.
I completely agree. Sorry, I misunderstood. I thought you were applying your usual banter, throwing out a funny-sounding classification on top of the pile of classifications we have growing here on what's the best genre to give DROD RPG. I agree the name is totally accurate.

[Last edited by mrimer at 02-08-2016 07:58 PM]
02-08-2016 at 07:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Hello, Lamkin!

We've fixed up a pile of issues in the latest 1.2.3 version. If you want to update your non-Steam version here on the forum, I recommend getting the latest full version installer since there are some graphical updates and fixes in the TT hold.

02-08-2016 at 07:57 PM
Lamkin
Rank Points: 606
Okay, I'll update it. Thanks. :)
02-08-2016 at 08:10 PM
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3406
icon Re: DROD on steam (+3)  
Dungeon-crawling strategy puzzle game? Nethack meets English Country Tune meets The Witness? Dunno. Anyway, with no randomness, I don't think it can be roguelike, and it's a puzzle game first and foremost.

EDIT: Oh, wait, we're on RPG now. DROD meets Desktop Dungeons?

[Last edited by Dischorran at 02-08-2016 11:26 PM]
02-08-2016 at 11:12 PM
mrimer
SOLD!

02-08-2016 at 11:48 PM
LeoS
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 276
As someone who no longer enjoys roguelikes mostly because of the permadeath aspect, I'd strongly suggest mentioning that permadeath is NOT part of the package (roguelike with checkpoints!) if you're going to use that in the game's description.
02-09-2016 at 12:34 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
mrimer
LeoS wrote:
As someone who no longer enjoys roguelikes mostly because of the permadeath aspect, I'd strongly suggest mentioning that permadeath is NOT part of the package (roguelike with checkpoints!) if you're going to use that in the game's description.
Makes sense. Thanks for the suggestion!

02-09-2016 at 02:30 AM
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
Let me just chime in and say that I agree that the best description is like "DROD meets Desktop Dungeons", or "Puzzle Adventure meets Turn-Based Strategy."

Whether you describe it as roguelike or roguelite it won't matter much. If you look at Desktop Dungeons tags you'll find both of them. Just tell them there's no permadeath and that should be sufficient.

To be honest, the description of RPG now sounds really defensive, compared to the descriptions from games like Desktop Dungeons. You're supposed to be selling your game in the description. ;) But if you leave it as it is, it's fine too.

(Okay, now back to lurk mode.)

02-09-2016 at 04:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
I know...this calls for a Poll!
To be honest, the description of RPG now sounds really defensive, compared to the descriptions from games like Desktop Dungeons. You're supposed to be selling your game in the description. ;) But if you leave it as it is, it's fine too.
I appreciate the honesty, but I don't understand what part of the description you're perceiving as defense. Would you please call out the text you have in mind?

02-09-2016 at 05:35 PM
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
mrimer wrote: I appreciate the honesty, but I don't understand what part of the description you're perceiving as defense. Would you please call out the text you have in mind?

Oh, what I'm trying to say is that, when I first read the description, my eyes fell immediately on this part of the text:

What makes DROD RPG different from your typical dungeon crawl or rogue-like is that it contains no randomness or procedurally-generated areas. Enemy encounters, items, level layouts and treasures are all hand-crafted to bring you a series of engaging, well thought-out puzzles that are a joy to solve. Decide whether to fight monsters and get the reward for killing them now or come back later when you can take less damage. There is no grinding and each area is a completely unique experience. There is also no permadeath, and you can freely save game. Play this game to relax and contemplate, or take advantage of its large depth and optional elements of challenge and replayability.

Combining DROD's straight-forward interface and flexible puzzle widgets with the staples of dungeon crawling makes for a unique, genre-busting gaming experience. Along with a powerful level editor and modding capabilities, achievements, online features, and an enthusiastic player community producing novel puzzle content, this is a game you can enjoy for years.

And I personally don't think it's very interesting to tell people what the game isn't, especially on the first part of this text wall. Have you counted how many "no" and "different from" in that first paragraph? So many no's sounds very defensive to me, and there's really no need to do that. Also, would you buy a game with so many 'no's in its description? And I almost TL;DR after reading this part and missed the rest of the text.

I'd personally put the Story part and the Features part of the description above this text wall. That's much more telling what RPG has to offer instead of a text wall full of no's.

I hope it's more clear now.

EDIT: added more sentence to explain the defensiveness.

[Last edited by Tim at 02-09-2016 09:23 PM]
02-09-2016 at 09:15 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
lepke1979
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 21
Sorry to possibly hijack, but I noticed on the DROD: RPG Steam page, you can also purchase the soundtrack.

Where can I get that outside of Steam? I found an old thread saying you can purchase it here (if I read it correctly), but unless I'm just not seeing it. That does not seem to be the case now.
02-09-2016 at 10:31 PM
mrimer
lepke1979 wrote:
Sorry to possibly hijack, but I noticed on the DROD: RPG Steam page, you can also purchase the soundtrack.

Where can I get that outside of Steam? I found an old thread saying you can purchase it here (if I read it correctly), but unless I'm just not seeing it. That does not seem to be the case now.
No, it's not available on the forum. I don't know of any old threads here that say it is available here.

02-09-2016 at 11:04 PM
mrimer
Thanks for the feedback, Tim. I can see where you're coming from. I've revised and changed the tone of the language on the store page.

02-09-2016 at 11:11 PM
RabidChild
Rank Points: 720
mrimer wrote:
lepke1979 wrote:

No, it's not available on the forum. I don't know of any old threads here that say it is available here.
This is a little off-topic, but here's a thread from 2013 that said it would be available at some point.
02-09-2016 at 11:40 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
mrimer
icon Re: DROD on steam (+2)  
Ah, yes, it was available on that IGS promotion. I can make it available here on the forum as well if there's interest.

02-09-2016 at 11:48 PM
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
icon Re: DROD on steam (+2)  
Congrats on the imminent release! Glad to see the Steam releases coming! :)

Makes me want to give that game another shot - only ever made it past the first section of the game (Though I at least finished the bonus level too, so I'm proud of that!). Maybe I'll load up a stream early next week or something to try and help with promotion of it.

02-10-2016 at 05:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
gamer_extreme_101 wrote:
Makes me want to give that game another shot - only ever made it past the first section of the game (Though I at least finished the bonus level too, so I'm proud of that!). Maybe I'll load up a stream early next week or something to try and help with promotion of it.
Go for it! I'd want to watch.

02-10-2016 at 07:19 PM
DezzTech
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 327
Will Linux/Mac OS versions of DROD RPG be released at the same time as Windows version?

02-12-2016 at 02:15 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
DezzTech wrote:
Will Linux/Mac OS versions of DROD RPG be released at the same time as Windows version?
Yes! They are ready to go.

02-12-2016 at 02:49 AM
mrimer
DROD RPG is released on Steam! :yay

http://store.steampowered.com/app/351330

02-12-2016 at 01:13 PM
kr3w.1337brown
Rank Points: 16
Greetings, I have a problem with running DROD RPG on Steam...
Patch wait for tomorrow? :(
02-12-2016 at 01:53 PM
mrimer
kr3w.1337brown wrote:
Greetings, I have a problem with running DROD RPG on Steam...
Patch wait for tomorrow? :(
Sorry, we need more information to patch up any problems. What's the problem you're experiencing?

02-12-2016 at 02:30 PM
kr3w.1337brown
Error: "Problem Starting DROD", Couldn't accses DROD data. :(

02-12-2016 at 02:50 PM
Pinnacle
Rank Points: 1126
Try using the Verify Game Cache option and see if that fixes it.

02-12-2016 at 02:57 PM
kr3w.1337brown
Already checked the cache, doesn't help...
02-12-2016 at 03:03 PM
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1978
Congrats on the release! I should go back and play this again! As someone who has previously purchased a copy of DROD RPG, will I need to buy a second copy to be able to play on Steam?

The phrase "The official OST of DROD RPG" is super-redundant, and at the same time, completely non-descriptive for those who don't know what an OST is. Maybe modify the phrase and product title to contain the word "soundtrack".

Or you could just lean into it: "DROD RPG: OST: The official OST soundtrack of the Deadly Rooms of Death Role Playing Game, DROD RPG."

Edit: Also, it appears that the OST is marked as needing the base content to play. That's not actually the case, is it?

[Last edited by RoboBob3000 at 02-12-2016 07:03 PM]
02-12-2016 at 07:01 PM
Dohi64
Rank Points: 21
RoboBob3000 wrote: Edit: Also, it appears that the OST is marked as needing the base content to play. That's not actually the case, is it?

you can't buy dlc on steam without owning the base game, and soundtracks are considered dlc over there. also, the 'o' in ost usually stands for original, so official ost is not that redundant.
02-12-2016 at 07:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Page 3 of 12
4567>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : DROD on steam
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No