Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Monster marking/colouring
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
bwross
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 376
IP: Logged
icon Monster marking/colouring (+1)  
The idea here is that it's hard to tell one monster from another, but sometimes you really need to. Allowing them to be visually marked in some way would help a lot, and a simple way to do that is by allowing the base colour to be changed or to be shaded/tinted/toned. This could be done at the architect and/or the player level.

The advantages are pretty obvious.

Some:

1) Movement order puzzles work better with distinguishable monsters where you don't have to click on all of them. Sure the talk of a mode to show the movement in order will also help with this... but it's overkill most of the time. Much like the puzzle mode... having a scroll remind me that I can use it to see eye beams instead of a vision token is a non-solution. With the grid up, there's so much noise on the screen I can't barely see the beams. It's just too much for the job, making it less capable of the job. So I'd rather have the ability to mark just the monsters I need to know order for than any mode that tries to solve everything which can also give away more than I'd like (ie Puzzle mode exposing spiders). When it comes to puzzling, I find it preferable to have simple player tools than things that might give things away.

2) Scripting a new monster based on an old can use the graphic with a different colour.

3) Player monster roles and specific NPCs can use a different shade to distinguish them. Monsters specific to a challenge can also benefit here.

Sure, colour-blindness can be a bit of an issue, but there are plenty of tools now for checking colours for that (I've even seen people posting things like a selection of colours that work for them for the purpose of things like board game pieces). And for many applications, shades/tints/tones are probably most appropriate anyways.
06-16-2015 at 08:10 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Monster marking/colouring
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No