Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : King Azb's Dungeon (Various intermediate puzzles)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

7.1/10 (13 votes)
σ 1.33
Author Name:azb
Submitted By:azb
Hold Name:King Azb's Dungeon
Theme:Various intermediate puzzles
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:10
Number of Rooms:91
Number of Monsters:750
Version:DROD: The Second Sky (5.0)
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:5 (+5 / -0)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged

File: King Azbs Dungeon V6.hold (27.5 KB)
Downloaded 573 times.
License: Other
icon King Azb's Dungeon  
I had finished this hold all the way back in October 2014, but waited until now in case I got a reply. I would like to thank Nuntar and Red-XIII for their replies and helping me improve the hold. I guarantee it's an improvement over my first hold.
04-26-2015 at 11:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Dischorran
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3405
icon Re: King Azb's Dungeon (0)  
Scripting in 8:1E has an End command that it shouldn't; don't leave the room without solving it. We should probably fix this.

04-27-2015 at 06:42 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
icon Re: King Azb's Dungeon (+1)  
This is not at all a bad hold. Dischorran pointed out in chat that it hits a fairly rare spot, namely "Not too difficult without being trivial", and I agree. Other than a few rooms that had what seemed to be unintended solutions, the rooms tend to require a bit of thought but aren't anything like larrymurk levels of difficulty.

The other thing this hold has going for it is its variety. There's a lot of slayer manipulation on the first level, but if you don't like slayer manipulation (I myself don't), don't let that turn you away. Level Two has three five-room wings labeled "Constructs", "Goblins", and "Stalwarts", with no slayer to be seen until the exit room; there's a "non-sword" level, a "fire trap and hot tile" level, a "tarstuff" level, a "horde management" level...if you hit something you don't like, push through it, because the next level will be entirely different.

It's not a perfect hold, by a long shot, and in spite of its relative ease it's not the hold I'd give to someone who's never played while saying, "Here, give this game a shot". But if you're staring at the last handful of rooms in Narrow Perspectives and thinking, "I could really use a break", this hold is the hold for you.
04-27-2015 at 07:41 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
disoriented
Rank Points: 2379

File: KAD Sixth Level 2S huh bug.demo (8.9 KB)
Downloaded 73 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: King Azb's Dungeon (+2)  
Speech scripting in Sixth Level: 2S has a bug where the slayer admits defeat while the player is still trapped.

Demo attached.

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.
04-27-2015 at 08:44 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
adS
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 214
icon Re: King Azb's Dungeon (0)  
Why are there rooms with arrows in the entrance?

A bit annoyed,

adS

05-01-2015 at 01:57 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
Conquered and... Mastered I guess?

Very enjoyable hold, I had a lot of fun. Majority of the puzzles were easy but enjoyable, with a sole exception of the last level which

Click here to view the secret text

I highly recommend this hold to anyone who wants to have some fun :).

7 for Fun
4 for Difficulty

05-06-2015 at 04:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
adS
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 214
icon Re: King Azb's Dungeon (+4)  
This is a very nice hold, indeed and I enjoyed playing it. Especially the miniature puzzles are very good.

I would like to encourage the architect to build more holds.

However, next time a few things should be observed:

* Do not place arrows on entries. This is a nightmare for optimizers.

* Please create more checkpoints. Many rooms have no checkpoints at all :(

* Please do not create rooms like Level 7, 1W. Every time you want/have to pass this room you have to kill all that mud. This is extremely boring.

* Do not use enigmatic scripting like in Level 8, 1E or Level 4, 4N.

Best wishes,

adS

05-06-2015 at 07:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Insoluble
Rank Points: 1638
I can't possibly add to anything that adS wrote above since I think it's a perfect summation of this hold. I just wanted to say that I was looking back over holds published in 2015 to prepare for voting in the upcoming deadlies and noticed for the first time that the fire traps in Level 5: 2 North, 1 West spell out TSS. Here, have some hold karma :D
Click here to view the secret text

01-28-2016 at 11:24 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : King Azb's Dungeon (Various intermediate puzzles) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com