Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : The Random Number God Hates Me
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Nuntar
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 4576
IP: Logged

File: The RNG Hates Me.hold (2.8 MB)
Downloaded 41 times.
License: Public Domain
icon The Random Number God Hates Me (+3)  
Here we are. I haven't done the AD intro text yet, but I've done the following:

* Scrolls indicate room architects. All hub rooms not specified as the work of another architect are mine.
* Added the two (so far) fixed versions of rooms submitted.
* Aesthetic improvements to AD hub rooms.

There is a lot still to be done. From the sounds of it, there are a large number of unintended solutions still to be fixed. If you have a room in this hold, please take the time to look over skell's, Chaco's and blorx1's demos to see if your room has problems. Also, you can make aesthetic or playability improvements (such as, but not limited to, adding checkpoints).

Those who have tested the rooms: it would be helpful if, as well as posting demos, you could explain in words what needs fixing. I don't have time at the moment to solve all the rooms myself, so the demos won't make much sense to me :P

04-19-2015 at 02:15 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Insoluble
Rank Points: 1638
icon Re: The Random Number God Hates Me (+2)  
Here is a list of basic things that should probably be addressed with the hold linked in the post above as it currently is. I've tried to put the architect's name next to each item so that you can quickly glance down to see if one of your rooms is listed here. This is by no means exhaustive, just unintended solutions, lack of checkpoints, and other stuff like that. Just because I suspect a solution is unintended does not mean it is or that it needs to be fixed, I'm just trying to be as exhaustive as possible in pointing things out in order to get the ball rolling. If a room is not listed, that means that none of the demos show an unintended solution (though there still may be one) and that nothing else seemed off.

General: Nuntar:
Level 3 text is missing.
End of hold text is the generic one.

Chaotic Order:

Chaotic Order:3E: Skell: No checkpoints.

Chaotic Order 1S2E: Skell: Unintended (according to the scrolls anyway) - The adder can be shortened and the room can still be solved. This could be fixed by placing south facing force arrows on the bottom yellow door of each airlock. Also, some warning that shallow water traversal is off might be a good idea.

Chaotic Order 1E: Chaco: Not sure how open you want this to be. All three recorded demos have a different solution, but none of them violate the conditions on the scrolls (although it does seem possible to have the soldier kill a gel baby using one of those solutions). If your intent was for the room to be open then just ignore me.

Chaotic Order 1S: KieranMillar: Again, not sure how open you want this to be. All three recorded demos differ from the solution described in your scrolls. None of them violate the conditions of the room and none are trivial, so you could always leave it open.

Chaotic Order 2N1E: LarryMurk: Needs Checkpoints. Unintended solution, the adder can be killed immediately. Not sure what to do about this.

Haphazzard Choice:

Haphazzard Choice:2N: D,Craven_One: Needs checkpoints. The language on the second scroll, mild though it may be, may still be inappropriate for a game that strives to avoid any sort of profanity (at least that's my understanding).

Haphazzard Choice:1W: D,Craven_One: Looks like the unintended solution allowing you to regain your weapon has been fixed. However, Jeff Ray's LP solution still works (I tried it out just to be sure). I'm assuming this is unintended since it violates the last condition on the scrolls (and makes the tunnel completely unnecessary). See his LP for details https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gN4_TphLt4o
Also, additional checkpoints would kindly be welcomed.

Haphazzard Choice:1E: I believe the disarm token takes care of the unintended solution but I am rotten at spotting these things and input from others would be appreciated.

Haphazzard Choice: 1N1E: Red_XIII: Many Unintended solutions exist here. You can strike the orbs at (5,20) and (30,27) at practically the same time, making the rattle serpent unnecessary for any sort of brain pathmap blocking (which one of the scrolls implies is a room condition). It is possible to kill the serpent with the fegundo before it even leaves the little alcove so the orb in the pool at (22,25) does not even need to be hit. I have not successfully implemented what I think the intended solution is, so I can't really offer much in terms of suggestions.

Accidental Design:

Accidental Design: 1N1W: Lucky_Luc Unintended - The room can be solved with the red doors down violating the conditions on the scroll.

04-29-2015 at 05:51 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dragon Fogel
Rank Points: 2430
icon Re: The Random Number God Hates Me (0)  
For Larry's room: does moving Halph away from the wall work, or is that somehow important to the intended solution? I only know how to do it the unintended way. I guess moving him might mean less of a risk of the adder eating him, too. But the only way to move him is if you fail the room. (Despite the issues with the room, I really like how it uses the condition about not being able to touch Halph when armed with the dagger.)

For my room: (Haphazard Choice 1E) I watched Jeff's playthrough and people were a bit disappointed that you can't read the scrolls if you leave and re-enter the room. An easy way to fix this would be to put the first bomb on a pressure plate. It wouldn't make a difference whether the roach still was or not.

My intention with the north chamber was to have the player leave with two powder kegs, so the fact that you can use a golem or blow up one of the kegs is unintended. But those are difficult to prevent and I feel that the basic idea of the chamber is still the same even if you do them, so I don't mind leaving it that way.
04-29-2015 at 04:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3623
Insoluble wrote:
Chaotic Order 1E: Chaco: Not sure how open you want this to be. All three recorded demos have a different solution, but none of them violate the conditions on the scrolls (although it does seem possible to have the soldier kill a gel baby using one of those solutions). If your intent was for the room to be open then just ignore me.

I'll leave the room as-is. In general I don't really believe in making substantial changes to my rooms for contest compilations; only fixing structural problems or adding checkpoints or something like that.

04-29-2015 at 06:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
D.Craven_0ne
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 201

File: Fixed-MadeMoreHorrible.hold (3.9 KB)
Downloaded 18 times.
icon Re: The Random Number God Hates Me (+1)  
Insoluble wrote:
Haphazzard Choice:2N: D,Craven_One: Needs checkpoints. The language on the second scroll, mild though it may be, may still be inappropriate for a game that strives to avoid any sort of profanity (at least that's my understanding).
Added like 6... i'm sure atleast 1's usefull. I didn't think it needed one with it's max 200 move solution but i'm all abaout making things easier.
The scroll, well, the game does use "rot" and "gob damn it" and such so I think it's fine.
...and the wubba is there for ambiance, since I prefer aesthetics and such over pretty much everything. so people can stop asking what's the point of it. Thx! xD
Insoluble wrote:
Haphazzard Choice:1W: D,Craven_One: Looks like the unintended solution allowing you to regain your weapon has been fixed. However, Jeff Ray's LP solution still works (I tried it out just to be sure). I'm assuming this is unintended since it violates the last condition on the scrolls (and makes the tunnel completely unnecessary). See his LP for details https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gN4_TphLt4o
Also, additional checkpoints would kindly be welcomed.
Fair enuff. Though the whole thing was optional, since the instructions said include not force the interaction. Just like in 2N the instruction told ME not to use the disarm token, and not to
"force the player" not to use it. But since it's a common complaint cause apparently the room wasn't tedious enuff:
Added North facing arrow under nest.
Added secondary lock mechanism to enforce the tunnel and the use of the giant.
Also added 3 more checkpoints.

I just hope someone can still have fun with this room.-_-

Also Nuntar! I modiffied the entrance room as well last time but you didn't seem to notice. The way leading in to 2W is 3 squares wide now. So be sure to update all 3 rooms pls.

Hopefully everything's fine now, but if anyone feels like pointing out anything that is still broken somehow. Please do so.

[Last edited by D.Craven_0ne at 05-06-2015 06:26 AM]
04-30-2015 at 11:10 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734

File: 3 in 1.hold (2.7 KB)
Downloaded 18 times.
Updated entry #1. Added checkpoints!

04-30-2015 at 02:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734

File: This entry was maede so someone wont win.hold (2.4 KB)
Downloaded 19 times.
And updated entry #2. I've got rid of the challenge, fixed the US and added a scroll informing about the shallow water.

04-30-2015 at 02:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Insoluble
Rank Points: 1638
D.Craven_0ne wrote:
The scroll, well, the game does use "rot" and "gob damn it" and such so I think it's fine.

Fair enough. I'm not 100% well versed in language policy so I thought I'd point it out. I know that "foul language" is supposed to be avoided because this is a family game (never mind the relentless killing & blood splatter :P)

D.Craven_0ne wrote:
I just hope someone can still have fun with this room.-_-

I actually quite liked the room.

04-30-2015 at 03:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Lucky Luc
Rank Points: 1215
Oh, right. Sorry. Basically what Chaco said. I only ever included this "Don't drop the red door"-interaction to satisfy the Random Number Gods. It's not a that crucial part of the intended solution.
05-03-2015 at 08:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : The Random Number God Hates Me
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com