Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : Deadly Rooms of Death : Swordplay Edition (New thread for final version!) (DROD:SE (mod for Deadly Rooms of Death : Architect's Edition) version 3)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Gabrieloup
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 3
IP: Logged

File: DROD SE U3.zip (3.7 MB)
Downloaded 90 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Deadly Rooms of Death : Swordplay Edition (New thread for final version!) (0)  
:toohard :toohard :toohard :toohard :toohard :toohard :toohard :toohard
D.R.O.D
S.E
Deadly Rooms of Death
Swordplay Edition

What's so special about special editions when you got SWORDPLAY editions?

To download the mod, look to the right and click "DROD SE U3.zip".

Due to an awful lot of bugs concerning this forum i'm not able to edit my older post in any way possible, so here it is, the new version of DROD:SE for DROD:AE after the long wait.

Some people still ask why mod DROD:AE if there's already The Second Sky and you can port holds like KDD 2.0 to there. The answer is simple : no intrusive dialogue (so you can actually roleplay as if you were playing there instead of Beethro), no secrets requirement to get the ending, no undo features that allows for really easy completion of rooms (enforcing more careful planning and execution) and of course, the ending which is a very complex cutscene that's impossible to replicate at the time to Journey to Rooted Hold and so isn't presented so well in the remake. Did I mention that you have to complete every secret to get the ending?

Minimum system requirements :
-Your grandmother's computer rig
-Any Windows NT version or versions that came after it such as Windows 7

Recommended system requirements :
-Your own computer, any rig

The concept of this mod is to make DROD:AE look like what it would be if it was made today. Making your casual puzzle game with lighthearted visuals and simplistic tunes and sounds to a messy and gory steampunk killing machine simulator.

The design and the choices of the graphics are very inspired of games by the same genre such as Bioshock, Dishonored, The Order 1886 and Thief. Caverns no longer hold cartoonish pink walls and instead look and feel like actual caverns made of stone and sharp spikes on the ceiling. Each "room style" has a very specifically assigned music tone to further enhance the player's immersion. This concept was inspired from Metroid Prime and Quake which has very immersive soundtracks.

You are Beethro Budkin, a master killing machine that holds a sword made out of a meteorite and sharpened with burning laser that explodes anything that touches it's blade and using a heavy armor that does not protect you against nearly anything. The local King contracts you to clean all the 25 levels of his dungeon. You nearly disagree with him and instead wanted to get a hold of one of his daughters as a reward but the King soon persuades you. The hold is told to be full of complicated rooms with lots of hard to understand mechanisms that only you can solve. Will you survive and conquer the 25 levels or will you give up? Or better, will you skip some of the levels?

Updates :
Click here to view the secret text

:doh :doh :doh :doh :doh :doh :doh :doh

Unseen like Wind.
Unheard like Earth.

[Last edited by Gabrieloup at 03-20-2015 03:36 PM]
03-19-2015 at 06:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Pinnacle
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1129
icon Re: Deadly Rooms of Death : Swordplay Edition (New thread for final version!) (0)  
Undo makes completing rooms easy? Did...did you even play TSS?

03-19-2015 at 07:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Gabrieloup
icon Re: Deadly Rooms of Death : Swordplay Edition (New thread for final version!) (+1)  
Pinnacle wrote:
It's not about TSS, it's about the original KDD levels in the engines after AE. TSS is a different matter. In fact it's 666x harder than KDD, undo or not. But the KDD levels with undo turn out to be so easy it removes all the meaning that was present when the levels were being made. A level with just a horde of Roaches isn't even menacing anymore. Instead it feels like your generic "cross-the-room" room that each time you die you "rewind" like it was a frickin' Prince of Persia game. It's cheating since the original levels were never programmed with the Undo function in mind. JtRH and later, by the contrary, were. In there the undo functions could only fix minor issues, and not major ones. See where i'm getting?

Unseen like Wind.
Unheard like Earth.

[Last edited by Gabrieloup at 03-19-2015 07:12 PM]
03-19-2015 at 07:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Red-XIII
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 623
icon Re: Deadly Rooms of Death : Swordplay Edition (New thread for final version!) (+1)  
Gabrieloup wrote:
Pinnacle wrote:
But the KDD levels with undo turn out to be so easy it removes all the meaning that was present when the levels were being made.

Well, this happened because you played KDD again after you already played lots of other holds. If someone who never played KDD plays it with undo, he still finds the same difficulty I had 8 years ago when I download AE, and I'm saying this because I actually introduced KDD lite to my cousin, and he struggled a lot even in what I now think as very easy rooms despite having undo.

With that I'm not saying that the mod you want to do is bad, I just summarized a very, very large topic about UU.

03-19-2015 at 07:23 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Gabrieloup
Red-XIII wrote:
Gabrieloup wrote:
Pinnacle wrote:
But the KDD levels with undo turn out to be so easy it removes all the meaning that was present when the levels were being made.

Well, this happened because you played KDD again after you already played lots of other holds. If someone who never played KDD plays it with undo, he still finds the same difficulty I had 8 years ago when I download AE, and I'm saying this because I actually introduced KDD lite to my cousin, and he struggled a lot even in what I now think as very easy rooms despite having undo.

With that I'm not saying that the mod you want to do is bad, I just summarized a very, very large topic about UU.
No offense taken.

Still, in terms of getting DROD players introduced I usually recommend GatEB instead of KDD lite (or KDD in general). Yeah i know it takes place after King Dugan's, but for me it's a better way in. The levels there are much, much easier and it's made to convert any typical mainstream shooter guy to a amateur puzzle gamer in a few hours. Despite that i started with JtRH back in 2007, GatEB is the easiest of the official holds.

Unseen like Wind.
Unheard like Earth.

[Last edited by Gabrieloup at 03-19-2015 07:35 PM]
03-19-2015 at 07:32 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : Deadly Rooms of Death : Swordplay Edition (New thread for final version!) (DROD:SE (mod for Deadly Rooms of Death : Architect's Edition) version 3)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com