Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Incorrect charset in the HTTP headers. (Server misconfiguration)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
tempestadept
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 141
IP: Logged
icon Incorrect charset in the HTTP headers. (+1)  
For, I think, some weeks now caravelgames site (including forum) keeps displaying for me by default as UTF-8 even though it's actually in Latin1. This messes up some characters like apostrophes and ellipsis (as a single character). I finally bothered to investigate this. Turns out that while HTML code contains correct content type
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1" />
it gets overridden by
Content-Type:"text/html; charset=UTF-8"
in HTTP response headers. Looks like the server is misconfigured.
Oh, and by the way, it would be nice if timezone info on the server got updated. Timezones in Russia have changed 4 months ago and it's a little inconvenient to see post times on the forum shifted by 1 hour.
02-24-2015 at 02:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
rman
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 371
icon Re: Incorrect charset in the HTTP headers. (0)  
Oh my, not again!

I looked at it and it seems that this has already been “fixed”: both Content-Type and <meta> contain ISO 8859-1 now. However, Google Chrome and Firefox on Ubuntu for some reason think that it is Windows-1252 (which is strange, but not a big deal, because these are mostly the same, except for some characters which are control codes in ISO 8859-1).

As a result, lots of posts with non-ASCII characters are now, once again, broken because they were encoded in UTF-8 and are now interpreted as ISO 8859-1.

It seems strange that Unicode got replaced with ISO 8859-1; to me it seems like a step backward.
tempestadept wrote: Oh, and by the way, it would be nice if timezone info on the server got updated. Timezones in Russia have changed 4 months ago and it's a little inconvenient to see post times on the forum shifted by 1 hour.
Wait, what? I thought that got fixed back when we were having the original encoding issue

Best quote ever (TSS ending spoiler):
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by rman at 02-24-2015 08:22 PM]
02-24-2015 at 08:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
tempestadept
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 141
Seems like the post encodings aren't consistent here. This topic's initial post uses Latin1, and here's UTF8. Unicode is obviously better, I just didn't see that it was actually used here.
And the time is correct now.

[Last edited by tempestadept at 02-24-2015 11:01 PM]
02-24-2015 at 11:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5383
Yeah, it's not "fixed." Everything has always been ISO-8859-1, and it's not trivial to just make it all UTF-8, no matter how nice that might be. I'll be working on it... maybe... sometime. It's really not interesting or fun so when I don't have much time to work on stuff this doesn't jump out at me as something to do.

02-25-2015 at 01:43 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Incorrect charset in the HTTP headers. (Server misconfiguration)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com