Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : The Random Number God Hates Me (Our contest for March)
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Nuntar
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 4576
IP: Logged
icon The Random Number God Hates Me (+4)  
Many of you have now seen skell's Official DROD Ideas Generator (inspired by earlier generators by calamarain). The generator contains a database of all the elements in DROD 5.0 and over 200 interactions, and allows you to roll a random selection in each of the categories "Use (element)", "Do not use (element)", "Include (interaction)" and "Force player to avoid (interaction)". The generator also includes a selection of concepts (more general ideas for the type of room, such as movement restriction, slashfest, race against time...) and each roll has a 20% chance of including one of these.

Last night, a group of us watched gamer_extreme_101 and skell test-run the generator as follows: in each of five "rounds", gamer rolled the generator and both had 20 minutes to build a room using the suggestion. It was a great success :thumbsup though naturally, for the contest, the rules will be somewhat different.

In particular, although several people suggested running a contest where everyone is given the same suggestions -- and that would indeed be an interesting contest, and someone may run it in the future -- for this contest, I want to give everyone their own rolls so that we get a lot of variety.

Rules

1. If you wish to take part, post in this topic. I will then roll the generator for you five times and send you a PM with links to your rolls.

2. Build one or more rooms using the suggestions. For each room, you must choose one of the five rolls -- you may not mix and match suggestions between the rolls.

3. It is not absolutely required that you satisfy all the conditions in your chosen roll. You may get contradictory conditions (such as "Don't use Stalwart" and "Use this interaction: Stalwart kills Roach"). In that case, you may find a clever way of meeting the spirit of the suggestion rather than the letter (use a Soldier instead of a Stalwart...) or you may simply ignore one of the contradictory conditions. You may roll five conditions and get an idea for a more interesting puzzle meeting only four of them.

4. You must include in your room one or more scrolls behind a green door stating all the conditions in your roll, even if you did not meet all of them. (If your conditions included "Don't use Scroll" or "Don't use Green door", these are considered to apply only to the rest of the room, not including the scrolls and door mandated by this rule.)

5. Include one or more empty rooms adjacent to your room, indicating from where you intend it to be possible to enter. Adjacent rooms may contain walls, floor and force arrows only. (For example, you may have three entrances on one side, and an adjacent room making it possible to exit your main room at A and return at B, but use walls to make C inaccessible.) Be careful of backtracking issues -- it must at all times be possible to solve the room without exiting normal play and using Restore.

6. You may build any number of rooms (including the possibility of multiple rooms based on the same roll). All rooms submitted will be included in the compilation hold (if valid and solvable). However, if you submit more than three puzzle rooms, you must choose three to be included in the voting.

7. No custom media.

8. All rooms must be solvable from at least one reachable entrance, and if you include any challenges, they must be possible to complete.

9. Your rooms must be playable in build 6060.

10. The deadline for entries is 7pm GMT, 14 March 2015. After this date I will put all entries into a compilation hold and open voting on 16 March. Voting will remain open for two weeks.

Prizes

First place receives 100 rank points and a prize from the Prize Pile.
Second place receives 50 rank points.
Third place receives 25 rank points.
Anyone who has not entered a contest before receives 10 rank points.

02-22-2015 at 01:00 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jacob
Rank Points: 3741
icon Re: The Random Number God Hates Me (+1)  
I am game.

02-22-2015 at 01:44 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3623
Sure, I'll give this a try.

02-22-2015 at 01:51 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Insoluble
Rank Points: 1638
Count me in too please. This sounds fun!

02-22-2015 at 01:52 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
blorx1
Rank Points: 920
I'll participate, if only to build something stupid.

Also, is the rule about adjacent rooms mostly for the "pick an entrance" concept?

02-22-2015 at 01:53 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3623
icon Re: The Random Number God Hates Me (0)  
[Post Deleted] Nuntar wrote:
blorx1 wrote: Also, is the rule about adjacent rooms mostly for the "pick an entrance" concept?
It's so that I can put the rooms into a compilation hold without having to make every room a separate level :P

Oh, so that means we're not allowed to use blue doors in our rooms, or stairs that go back into the same room?

02-22-2015 at 02:02 AM
Nuntar
blorx1 wrote: Also, is the rule about adjacent rooms mostly for the "pick an entrance" concept?
It's so that I can put the rooms into a compilation hold without having to make every room a separate level :P

It's also so that contestants can, if they like, do things like making rooms that are open on multiple sides, making it easier to connect the rooms into a level layout. And then contestants are free to make multiple entrances part of the puzzle, whether or not it specifically appears in their list of suggestions.

Oh, so that means we're not allowed to use blue doors in our rooms, or stairs that go back into the same room?
You can, but bear in mind that blue doors will only open/close when all rooms on the level are cleared, and I may put your room on the same level as some rooms by other contestants. If it's really important to your idea that your room is in a level by itself, then mention that in your post in the submission topic.

02-22-2015 at 02:09 AM
Dragon Fogel
Rank Points: 2430
icon Re: The Random Number God Hates Me (+11)  
This sounds fun. I'm not as experienced with the level editor as other people here, but I think I could put something interesting together.
02-22-2015 at 02:29 AM
bomber50
Rank Points: 872
I'll play.
02-22-2015 at 02:59 AM
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1299
Count me in!
02-22-2015 at 03:40 AM
disoriented
Rank Points: 2379
I'll play too.

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.
02-22-2015 at 03:45 AM
Pinnacle
Rank Points: 1126
Sure, why not.

02-22-2015 at 03:59 AM
noma
Rank Points: 1594
I'll give this a try.
02-22-2015 at 06:45 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
kieranmillar
Rank Points: 2668
RNG me! My body is ready!
02-22-2015 at 08:27 AM
The spitemaster
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 354
Yup.

I wish that man would stay away
02-22-2015 at 09:13 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Red-XIII
Rank Points: 618
It sounds cool, I'm in.

One question, it's obvious that I have to use mainly my roll conditions, but are other elements allowed? I mean, could they be used as red herrings or as a part of the main puzzle?

02-22-2015 at 09:59 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
I can probably manage 1-3 rooms, count me in.
02-22-2015 at 10:10 AM
navithmastero
Rank Points: 595
I'll play.

-nm

One of your local HAs.

My stuff:
Click here to view the secret text

02-22-2015 at 11:53 AM
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1908
Sign me up!
02-22-2015 at 12:43 PM
Nuntar
Red-XIII wrote: One question, it's obvious that I have to use mainly my roll conditions, but are other elements allowed? I mean, could they be used as red herrings or as a part of the main puzzle?
Of course -- you may use any elements, except ones your roll specifically prohibits you from using.

02-22-2015 at 02:32 PM
Jutt
Rank Points: 863
I'll participate too, this should be fun.

Quick question, are we supposed to keep our work secret? Because I thought this may be a good opportunity to try streaming some architecture work.

02-22-2015 at 02:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
Jutt wrote:
Quick question, are we supposed to keep our work secret? Because I thought this may be a good opportunity to try streaming some architecture work.
Remember that lack of anonymity can lead to biased voting!

02-22-2015 at 02:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1908
What about limiting entries to 1 puzzle room.

We are getting a good number of entries and I think it'd make it easier/faster to judge.
02-22-2015 at 04:55 PM
hyperme
Rank Points: 1055
Roll me up some idea please!

02-22-2015 at 05:11 PM
schep
Rank Points: 864
I'll give it a try.
02-22-2015 at 05:21 PM
Lucky Luc
Rank Points: 1215
Count me in, too
02-22-2015 at 05:57 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
I wanna make an attempt too!

02-22-2015 at 05:59 PM
kieranmillar
Rank Points: 2668
Let's say that, hypothetically, one were to have a roll that included "Do not use: Floor".

Now let's say, hypothetically, that one wanted a way to let players of the finished hold know whether or not the room had been completed from the mini-map. Would such a person be allowed to include a patch of land that had no interaction with the rest of the room just so that the clear status could be seen?

I'm asking for a friend...
02-22-2015 at 08:17 PM
PMIT
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 159
I'll give this one a shot too!

02-22-2015 at 08:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Nuntar
kieranmillar wrote:
Let's say that, hypothetically, one were to have a roll that included "Do not use: Floor".

Now let's say, hypothetically, that one wanted a way to let players of the finished hold know whether or not the room had been completed from the mini-map. Would such a person be allowed to include a patch of land that had no interaction with the rest of the room just so that the clear status could be seen?

I'm asking for a friend...
Yes, that's fine.

Also, "Don't use Wall" doesn't apply to the room boundary.

02-22-2015 at 08:34 PM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : The Random Number God Hates Me (Our contest for March)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com