Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Universal song
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
averagemoe
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 487
IP: Logged
icon Universal song (0)  
I was just reading the Beethro the Delver story "Beethro Hears The Universal Song" which you can see for yourself at this here link And I noticed these words at the bottom of the page.
Odor to Joy performed by Alan Reid. Thanks Alan and also Ludwig.
I'm assuming that these are music credits for the Universal Song, but there doesnt seem to be any way to hear that song while reading the story. In fact this seems to be the only place on the internet where the name Alan Reid is used in the same sentence as "Odor to Joy". Anyone have a light they would care to shed on this?

02-11-2015 at 10:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
icon Re: Universal song (0)  
Yeah, I can't see a link to the song either. I know longer have a copy of it due to hard drive crash year's back.

It was basically a messed up version of Beethoven's Ode to Joy.

-Erik

02-11-2015 at 11:11 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
karlpopper
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 263
icon Re: Universal song (+1)  
I'm totally happy now to plug for Crashplan (no affiliations other than as a customer).

They offer unlimited backup for individuals for less than $100 per year. The client is written in java and has been rock solid for me with an excess of 2TB of data.

Now I'm less freaked out about all my family pictures living on a hard drive in a wooden house in the Mission in San Francisco, which keeps burning down ....

02-12-2015 at 01:21 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
karlpopper wrote:
I'm totally happy now to plug for Crashplan (no affiliations other than as a customer).
Crashplan can't help me now, Karl!

Unless they can bring back the files on a hard drive that was sent to a recycling center in China twelve years ago.

Unless they can tap into a Jungian cyber-consciousness where all lost bytes reside. Can Crashplan bring Odor to Joy back to me again?

Jeebus, Karl. A little sensitivity for my loss, please.

;)

-Erik

02-12-2015 at 01:32 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
RabidChild
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 720
icon Re: Universal song (+7)  
This looks like a job for the Wayback Machine!

https://web.archive.org/web/20050218102953/http://drod.net/TheEighth/Images/Odor_to_Joy.ogg

Well, I guess that still won't help Erik recover his hard drive...

[Last edited by RabidChild at 02-12-2015 02:26 AM]
02-12-2015 at 02:25 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1939
icon Re: Universal song (+3)  
I'm quasi ashamed to admit it, but it's actually been on the server the whole time still. Just wasn't linked into the story!

Nevertheless, it is now. :)

02-12-2015 at 02:40 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
karlpopper
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 263
@ErikH - buddy, I feel your pain. I once spent $500 having personal data recovered from a crashed drive.

Just thinking of the future: no temporal split tokens in real life.

Karl

p.s. Hoorah that this one file came back from the aether.

02-12-2015 at 02:52 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
averagemoe
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 487
icon Re: Universal song (+2)  
Of course, Beethoven was deaf so he was never infected with culture! He discovered the universal song without realzing what he did. Molby said someone on another continent could discover the same song, and Ludwig proved that the method even works across universes.

02-12-2015 at 09:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Universal song
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No