Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : copyright & legal issues
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
shurcooL
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 40
IP: Logged
icon copyright & legal issues (0)  
just wanted to get this cleared from the beginning...

1) can i use the name D.R.O.D.? or is it copyrighted and thus i can't? i mean, do i have to call it something else, like pocketDROD or whatever, as opposed to just another 'DROD', only this version is for Palm OS?

2) can i use the artwork from Caravel DROD? not that i am going to, nor that i can, since my tiles are 13x13 atm. just wondering. the answer is probably no, isn't it?

3) can i sell it? not that i'm planning to either, but it's always good to know. if i do make it shareware (again, i won't :P ), what would i have to consider/do?

just don't want to get into any trouble, and it's good to know. :)

05-27-2003 at 04:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
icon Re: copyright & legal issues (0)  
shurcooL wrote:
1) can i use the name D.R.O.D.? or is it copyrighted and thus i can't? i mean, do i have to call it something else, like pocketDROD or whatever, as opposed to just another 'DROD', only this version is for Palm OS?
You can use it. To avoid confusion, you should change the name a little, i.e. "Shurcool's DROD", "PocketDROD", "Deadlier Rooms of Death".
can i use the artwork from Caravel DROD? not that i am going to, nor that i can, since my tiles are 13x13 atm. just wondering. the answer is probably no, isn't it?
Everything released with Caravel DROD so far that isn't source code or executables has been placed in the public domain. This doesn't include art found on the DROD.net site or other files downloadable from DROD.net. In future releases, we may not release all of our media into the public domain, so for these you should read the licensing documents that install with DROD or are also found in the source code distribution.
3) can i sell it? not that i'm planning to either, but it's always good to know. if i do make it shareware (again, i won't :P ), what would i have to consider/do?
Go for it! If you use any source code from the Caravel distribution, there are things to consider, but I think you're just writing this from scratch.

-Erik

05-27-2003 at 05:12 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
shurcooL
thank you very much for a fast reply.

about using parts of your code: i don't think u can copyright ai, can you? because i will be using the source code for that purpose only. oh, i'm talking about the ai algorithm, not the implementation.

ps. i'm probably not going to sell if, if anything, i'll set up a donation system, but most likely i will be lazy and not finish it (hopefully that won't be the case) and even if i do, it'll be avaliable for free. this was originally just a port to Palm OS, and it still is.

also, i have some qs/ideas about levels, but i'll start a new thread for that.

05-27-2003 at 10:08 PM
ErikH2000
icon Re: Re: copyright & legal issues (0)  
shurcooL wrote:
about using parts of your code: i don't think u can copyright ai, can you? because i will be using the source code for that purpose only. oh, i'm talking about the ai algorithm, not the implementation.
Yeah, go ahead and use the algorithm. Just write your own version of it.

Alternatively, you can license your source under Mozilla, follow its requirements, and copy-and-paste DROD code to your heart's content. No big deal to me either way.

-Erik

05-27-2003 at 11:05 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
shurcooL
can't really ctrl-c+ctrl-v code in C++ to PocketC on a Palm. :P besides, it's all meant to be a learning experience. maybe i'll even finally finish something! ;)

05-28-2003 at 03:36 AM
ErikH2000
icon Re: Re: copyright & legal issues (0)  
shurcooL wrote:
can't really ctrl-c+ctrl-v code in C++ to PocketC on a Palm. :P besides, it's all meant to be a learning experience. maybe i'll even finally finish something! ;)
Fair enough.

-Erik

05-28-2003 at 06:29 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : copyright & legal issues
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com