Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : DROD On-Line
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
The_Lucky_Mutt
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 35
IP: Logged
icon DROD On-Line (+3)  
No promises anyone, but I might have some time to make a flash version of DROD that would be acessable on-line.

I could even add something like of a level editor that lets you create rooms, other people would be able to try out your rooms on-line. (maybe even levels). And you would be able to try out theirs.

If I managed all that, keeping users stats wouldn't be that much more. You know, 'so-and-so has completed 52% of the rooms created', or '96% of so-and-so's rooms have never been finished so don't even bother'

It would be a good place to implement theoretical monters and see if they are productive to the game.

I think it would be neat, and I can do it if I find the time, (I should be able to, it being summer and all) so tell me what you think.

A big task, but I've found in recent weeks that I am addicted to DROD, (I played the webfoot version years ago and even considered paying for it). I would love being part of the DROD development, so I will toss in my flash experience.

-TLM
05-27-2003 at 11:43 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
The_Lucky_Mutt
icon Re: DROD On-Line (0)  
OK, I started working on this, and have decided to recant my line stating 'no promises'.

Instead I vow that if it is in my power to get this to work, I'll do so.

I might even be able to let users create entire holds. Hmm.... we'll see.

-TLM
05-27-2003 at 01:13 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
krammer
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 904
Sounds impressive. Maybe you could even get your level editor out before the "official" one? :D

"Oook!"
05-27-2003 at 03:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
shurcooL
Rank Points: 40
hey,

i'm pretty good at flash, and since i'm writing DROD for palm, i will have some experience... if u want my help, just reply here or pm me (please don't email me).

here's an example of my unfinished work (it'll be done within two weeks; it's my com tech isp)...

http://www16.brinkster.com/shurcool/game.swf (copy and paste, don't just click on it)

[Edited by shurcooL on 05-27-2003 at 03:40 PM GMT: nm, i hate hotmail]

05-27-2003 at 03:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5381
Fun game, my high score's 1206. :)

I'll throw my hat in the circle too - You guys are probably better than I at Flash, but if I can help, let me know...

05-27-2003 at 03:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
mrimer
Rank Points: 5056
icon Re: Re: DROD On-Line (0)  
shurcooL wrote:
here's an example of my unfinished work...
Hmm...looks like you've been slashdotted... ;)

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
05-27-2003 at 03:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
krammer wrote:
Sounds impressive. Maybe you could even get your level editor out before the "official" one? :D
The level editor's ready, honest! It was done like six months ago. It's just that there's a whole lot of overhead that goes into making using it a pleasant experience for the user. Any day now...

If someone can slap together a level editor, make an online version of DROD, and add new features because they "might have some time", they're a better man than I. So I say, go for it!
05-27-2003 at 03:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
icon Re: Re: Re: DROD On-Line (0)  
mrimer wrote:
Hmm...looks like you've been slashdotted... ;)
Good luck slashdotting this mirror.

05-27-2003 at 04:15 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
shurcooL
what's all that supposed to mean? :huh :eyes:

05-27-2003 at 04:32 PM
Schik
shurcooL wrote:
what's all that supposed to mean?
All what? Slashdotting? If that's what you're asking about, visit slashdot.org. A huge number of geeks (myself included) read the site, so whenever they have a link to a non-huge-corporation web site on the front page, it gets "slashdotted", meaning the server can't handle the load.

Your free site has used up it's bandwidth for the day, so I put up a link to a mirror that won't go down, unless somebody tries pretty hard. (Note: Please don't.)

05-27-2003 at 04:36 PM
mrimer
Schik wrote:
Fun game, my high score's 1206. :)
After a few tries I reached that, but I'm convinced it would take a thousand to do too much better.
05-27-2003 at 05:08 PM
The_Lucky_Mutt
shurcooL wrote:

i'm pretty good at flash

Have you ever done any work incorperating PHP with flash? (As this will be neccisary to accomplish what I've set out to do).

Anyway, I'll see if I can get either of you a task that your up to. Not sure what, but we'll see.

And as to getting the level editor up before the *official* one, seeing as we don't know when the official one will be here nor when mine will be ready, that is hard to say. But the officialers have a head start, so its an unfair race ;).

Anyway, the point isn't to out do those working so hard on the caravel version (because I seriously doubt I can), but to add an element of interaction between players into the game.

Considering that I made myself a close to imposible to-do list already (I'll get through it), I figure I might even be able to add some form of multi-player mode. Now, it would seem silly to me to have several people in the same room actually battling, (unless you gave the players some un-DROD like power to do somthing like summon monsters that any allied to them that only go for the other guys), but there could be somthing along the lines of multi-player races or an overall 'score' based on what you have and havn't completed and have these scores ranked and whatnot. Anyway, imput on multi-player specifics would be deemed handy.

This on-line version, (the rest of you use online, I'm I in the minority here?), would easily provide features that can be *very* hard to incorperate otherwise.

Also, due to nature of the internet, where things can be reloaded everytime, intsead of having to have a close-to-perfect release that gets widely distributed and becomes hard to take back, it will be a little easier to introduce new elements into the game and see if they are even worth considering. After all, every theoretical monster deserves at least one room right? Well, maybe not, some of your ideas are pretty lame (j/k :)).

Maybe Caravel would even be so kind as to let us include the holds they published, (of corse, you guys would still have to pay to get to them). But it would be neat to have up-to-the-minute stats on peoples progress (although the transportation of data from the off-line version to the on-line version be it levels or progress, is iffy). Plus. this median might increace your sales Erik. Then again I would understand if you didn't want your brain children put on anytype of rapable platform, as the internet is. (I'm very, very good at security, but I can't stop several people using the same account to access the levels unless they do somthing stupid like log on at the same time). Maybe proof of the hold on your hardrive. Maybe scratch the whole idea because there are too many variable to work out now.

Anyway, that was my 15 minute rant, feel free to ignore this or not even read it (it's too late for that isn't it?), as I don't know what the point was except to write a bunch a paragraphs that start with 'anyway'.

-TLM
05-27-2003 at 09:53 PM
shurcooL
Schik, thanks for that explanation. i thought he was trying to offend me. :P

05-27-2003 at 10:02 PM
Schik
The_Lucky_Mutt wrote:
Have you ever done any work incorperating PHP with flash? (As this will be neccisary to accomplish what I've set out to do).
I've done this a little, but it's been a while. It's not that hard IIRC.

I've got all of Dugan's dungeon in a MySQL database on drod.net, for use in the Room images in the forum. I could see this same database (or one very similar) being used for your FlashDROD as well.

It would be easy enough to make a couple PHP files that would give your Flash program the data it needs to render a room.

If you want to talk details sometime, lemme know...

05-27-2003 at 10:24 PM
The_Lucky_Mutt
Well of corse I want details! I should have realized that you had the images being generated! That will make things loads easier.

-TLM
05-27-2003 at 10:29 PM
Schik
Basically, I need to know how you want the data... For the image generation, I basically have a few functions:
- Get list of holds
- Get list of levels in a hold
- Get list of rooms in a level
- Get a picture of a room

If you/we did this wisely, any time new holds were finalized, they'd be in the Flash version automatically (as soon as they were put in the database).

So just let me know what you want.
For instance:
--------------------
I want to call http://www.drod.net/flash/getroom.php?roomid=145 and get an XML file with the following format:
<define your format here>
--------------------
or whatever. I can't promise it will be done within hours but it won't take weeks either.

05-27-2003 at 10:42 PM
The_Lucky_Mutt
Honestly, seeing as I've just started, I could work around any format you guys use as long as it gives me all the data.

If I could just get somthing along the line of two arrays (or strings or whatever, I dont care), one that includes the floor information (i.e. empty, wall, force arrow) and one that includes the 'above' information (i.e. roach, tar, crumbly wall, door of some type).

To incorperate the PHP into the flash it (optimally) would generate a text file that uses MIME format, (i.e. '&FloorData=$FloorData&MonsterPos=$MonsterPos'). I'm not picky, the $FloorData could just be a single dimention array or a sting with different chars representing different ellements, it all works.

Also, (so much for using whatever format), it would be more helpful if, as you suggested earlier, instead of me calling getroom.php?roomID=3241, I could call getroom.php?holdID=1&levelID=21&roomID=12 or somthing of the like. If this is a change from what you have now its not really neccisary.

So yeah, there I my two bits, give me yours.

-TLM
05-27-2003 at 11:02 PM
The_Lucky_Mutt
icon A quick note to Erik (0)  
Oh, and by the way. If you did want to include your holds on my site (which at this point is non-existant so maybe this is jumping ahead of ourselves), I wouldn't ask for a percentage or royalties or anything stupid like that. Lets just have it be promotion for the rest of my web-site (which also isn't finished), and that will be pay enough for me. :D
05-27-2003 at 11:13 PM
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
icon Re: A quick note to Erik (0)  
The_Lucky_Mutt wrote:
Oh, and by the way. If you did want to include your holds on my site
Well, go build the silly thing, and we may be able to work something out. :P If it ends up that we can't give you the Caravel holds, I'm betting you are still going to have a hefty load of user-designed levels to play with.

Best of luck with your project, LM.

-Erik

05-27-2003 at 11:36 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
The_Lucky_Mutt
icon Re: Re: A quick note to Erik (0)  
ErikH2000 wrote:

Well, go build the silly thing...

Good idea, I tend to jump ahead of myself.

Bad habit in DROD, because when you do you stab yourself... :P.

-TLM
05-27-2003 at 11:46 PM
shurcooL
icon Re: Re: Re: A quick note to Erik (0)  
The_Lucky_Mutt wrote:
Good idea, I tend to jump ahead of myself.

Bad habit in DROD, because when you do you stab yourself... :P.

that's a good one. ;)

don't want to sound ignorant (not much can be done about that, eh?), but what's a hold? =

edit: from what i understand, is it a level-pack kind of thing? meaning a set of levels, all put together in a [most likely] increasing difficuilty level order. like the original DROD levels created by Webfoot, right?

[Edited by shurcooL on 05-28-2003 at 03:42 AM]

05-28-2003 at 03:20 AM
Schik
The_Lucky_Mutt wrote:
Honestly, seeing as I've just started, I could work around any format you guys use as long as it gives me all the data.
Well, the only format we use on the web at this point is a format that was easy to process with PHP. And at this point, there is no way for your program to get at that data. So something will have to be written especially for it (which won't be hard) so I might as well write it to have the exact output that would be easiest for you.
To incorperate the PHP into the flash it (optimally) would generate a text file that uses MIME format, (i.e. '&FloorData=$FloorData&MonsterPos=$MonsterPos').
Is that what LoadVars reads in? My Flash is a bit rusty.
Also, (so much for using whatever format), it would be more helpful if, as you suggested earlier, instead of me calling getroom.php?roomID=3241, I could call getroom.php?holdID=1&levelID=21&roomID=12 or somthing of the like.
Hmm... The problem there is, where did you get that levelId and roomID from? Here's how I did it for the forum room pics:

1) Get List of holds. Allow the user to pick one.
2) For selected hold, get a list of levels. Allow the user to pick one.
3) For the selected level, get a list of rooms, along with their offsets and IDs. This way, I can present them in a way the user can choose a room by looking at the level. When they click on a room, I know what its ID is, so I use that in step 4:
4) Draw a room, solely by its ID.

I'm open to helping in whatever way is best for you, but I'd suggest something along the same lines:

getholdlist.php : returns
&holdid[0]=1&holdid[1]=2&holdname[0]=Dugan's%20Dungeon&holdname[1]=Schik's%20Dungeon

The name's there for you to present to the user, and an id is there for further database queries.

getlevellist.php?holdid=1 : returns
&levelid[0]=17&levelid[1]=18&levelname[0]=First%Level&levelname[1]=Second%20Level ...

Ditto.

getroomlist.php?levelid=18 : returns
&roomid[0]=115&roomOffsetX[0]=-1&roomOffsetY[0]=1 ...

Here, you have an id for each room, and it's offset (i.e. once north, once east). So you know which room you'll be in if the user exits a room north, for instance.

Finally,
getroomdata.php?roomid=115 : returns
&otiles[0][0]=1&otiles[1][0]=2&otiles[2][0]=1& ...
- or -
&otiles="aaaabbaaddaabadaaaabf..."

Does this make sense?

I don't know if this exact format works, if you can do arrays like I'm showing in my examples. But somehow, you need to know what levels are in a hold, what rooms are in a level, and the relative positions of the rooms. This is getting way too long, so I'm going to stop here. If I'm way off base and thinking either too much or not enough, feel free to smack me and tell me to shut up.
So yeah, there I my two bits, give me yours.
01. Okay, I'm a geek. And a dork to boot.

05-28-2003 at 04:28 AM
The_Lucky_Mutt
If everything works as you describe it, it's perfect :). There is nothing more that I would need. Arrays can work like that, so if it is easiest go for it. (I always find less typing using strings, call be lazy and a slacker, but I've never done work that needed to be to specific format, only my vast array of self work).

I'm building it in advanced to support larger and smaller rooms, so if it wouldn't be to hard, could you add the dimentions into this equation some way? But as I said, I don't need anything too ridged, LoadVars uses either XML or MIME, but I'll be using MIME for the rest of my stuff so it would be helpful if you could get it to that format I would be greatly obliged. Besides that, I think you covered anything that I would need. Show me what you can give me and I'll tell you its all wrong later on just to give you more work :).

By the way, I have a payable demo of a room up, (the level data was hardcoded, I'll make it flexable when you get the PHP going), just roaches and yourself, but the graphics are so god-awful ugly that I would be embarressed to show you. The conversion from bmp to flash didn't go so well. I am working on them and should have it up fully sometime after the weekend (I work weekends as a pet photographer and have tons of pictures to 'ditally paint' before then, I know, don't ask me what type of living that is). One very small step for DROD kind, one giant leap for... tar motheres everywhere... they will now be invading your internet conection as well as your nightmares :).

-TLM

05-28-2003 at 06:58 AM
shurcooL
don't worry about the graphics, if that's the only reason u don't want to show it to us, then don't worry about it. you should see the graphics on my Palm DROD - 13x13 b&w (mostly) circles and lines. =\\ i'll post a screenshot sometime (they're not final, obviously).

also, i don't think flash DROD should have original DROD graphics... make it flash gfx, for gods sakes... there are people who are amazing at making vector graphics, then can make this flash version really nice (even semi-animated!). i suggest u don't spend time on graphics right now, but work on other, more important stuff. even a circle with a line will do, as long as we can understand it's the player w/ the sword.

05-28-2003 at 03:03 PM
shurcooL
any progress yet?

come on, give us a sneak-peek! we're dying out here (because it's sooo hot). :P

05-30-2003 at 06:54 PM
shurcooL
so... can i assume this one's dead already? =(

07-08-2003 at 10:52 PM
The_Lucky_Mutt
Dead? No, just slow. This is the type of thing flash wasn't really made for, but can be done with some, (alot), of bending. I got side tracked with a flash project to make a game like risk, but one supporting hundreds of people and month long games. But that is done now, and I'm back on the project. I'm still juggling two other projects, one a flash MUD, (I might think about incorperating a battle system like that mentioned in DROD D&D) and the other a flash tactical 3D gigantic space battle thingy (based Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card, you should read it if you haven't). But DROD is high on my priority list again.

Oh and Schik, I realized that due to all of the security issues, my flash and PHP arn't going to let me make calls to anouther domain name, so your offer to make some PHP here were great, but arn't going to work I don't think. I'm not completely sure. But do you have anything file with the raw room data in some fairly simple format (not encrypted beyond ascii)? Anything works, but I kinda need that. I'm guessing you guys had to make some type of 'hold' file for the addition of new holds... or am I wrong?

Anyway (I really have to stop using that word), cheers to all of you.

-TLM
08-12-2003 at 08:46 AM
The_Lucky_Mutt
OK, Here is the first sneak preview, have fun... Sorry, but the code to guide the cockroaches died, and I'm to tierd to figure out why. It gets slugish when you go to 'medium' size... I'm trying to rework that. For me there is about a .4 sec delay between moves on the medium size, please tell me how it is on your system. Also tell me how 'small' fairs on your system. I think it is too simple to yet have bugs in it (besides the fact that you can step on the roach), but if you see any, give a shout out.

http://www.thegamepublisher.com/drod.html

-TLM
08-12-2003 at 06:00 PM
The_Lucky_Mutt
Hey, look, my first update already! You can no longer fly around by pressing two buttons at once, the roaches now move and kill, and the two larger boards will generate a random map for you. Have fun, report bugs (not roaches).

http://www.thegamepublisher.com/drod.html

-TLM

PS The medium room is still agonizingly slow, and not even as big as a standard room... I'm working on it.
08-12-2003 at 08:54 PM
krammer
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 904
Hey, cool. A nice break from all these tough holds people keep designing. And apart from little niggles like the sword not being connected to Beethro, it's pretty much perfect. I hope you keep on going with this.

"Oook!"
08-12-2003 at 10:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : DROD On-Line
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com