Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : The Dungeons of Snoll! (October 2004 contest)
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
DiMono
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1181
IP: Logged
icon The Dungeons of Snoll! (+3)  
Contest Update: The time has come, once again! With one mighty stroke of his gavel-like hand, King Ballioutay shall reveal the themes he wants for the second run of his audition holds. Stand in awe (again) at the majesty of his task... a second time! The themes for the second running of this competition shall be:

1) Stop-Watch.

2) Hiding in the Bushes.

3) Circular Logic.

King B. has asked me to wish everybody only the best of luck in this endeavor, as he looks forward to seeing each and every entry in this competition. Remember, your entry is due Local Time:10-17-2004 at 07:30 AM, and I'll be making another post at Local Time:10-17-2004 at 07:15 PM to let everyone know the time is nigh.

Alright. Themes will be revealed every half hour. I will be lurking on the forums during the contest, so if you have any questions please feel free to ask them in the thread, or to send me a PM. And yes, the themes are intentionally vague to allow for more flexibility.

Contest Update: It seems that 2 hours was just not enough time to make the dungeons, as a few people have told me, so I've extended that phase of the contest to 2.5 hours. See my post on the second page of this thread for details.

Contest Update: The first running of the Dungeons of Snoll contest has completed! The themes for the first contest, which will not be reused in the second, will be re-revealed after holds for the second running have been submitted:

1) Follow The Leader.
2) Your Friend, The Snake.
3) They Can't See Me - I Can't See Them!

To play the entries, and to see who won, browse on over to this page. The second running will begin in negative 1017 weeks, 5 days

One fine spring day on the island of Snoll, off the shores of Ephelna, King Ballioutay decided he would expand his dungeon. When he put the word out, he received literally dozens of offers from reputed architects to help him in this endeavour.

"This is just too many," King Ballioutay (King B. for short) said to himself. "I must find a way to narrow this down to only the best of the best."

Being a relatively smart man, King B. realised that the only way to know an architect's quality was to see what (s)he was capable of firsthand.. There was only one problem: King B. was very undecisive. He knew he needed to see what they could do, but he couldn't think of how to go about it.

Naturally, King B. went to his advisor, Antholius Nathaniolus Tratyopius. Despite being born in the heartland of Tueno, Antholius (A.N.T. for short) had proven himself to be of the same brutal efficiency that was required of a King of Snoll, and had been ingraciated in to the ranks. It came as no surprise, then, when A.N.T. immediately came up with precisely one idea:

"You must have the architects build for you a dungeon in a style of your choosing, in limited time."

"Of course," King B. said, "it's so obvious. I shall command from each architect a dungeon, to be constructed in short order. Only then shall I see who has what it takes to be my new personal architect. What do you think, A.N.T.?"

A.N.T. agreed, and the date for the architecture competition was set. There was only one problem: King B. was so indecisive that he'd end up changing his mind on the theme, resulting in several levels with different themes. Since he wanted the dungeons constructed in a short time period, this would pose a challenge to the architects.

So, here are the rules of this contest:

1) The contest will begin at Local Time:10-16-2004 at 05:00 PM. Every 30 minutes a new theme will be announced, until Local Time:10-16-2004 at 06:00 PM. This means three themes, released at:
Local Time:10-16-2004 at 05:00 PM
Local Time:10-16-2004 at 05:30 PM and
Local Time:10-16-2004 at 06:00 PM (man, I love that localtime tag).

2) For each theme a level with no less than 4 rooms should be constructed, and each room must have a puzzle that conforms to the theme (no corridor rooms, sorry folks), including the entrance and exit. You do not have to include all five levels in your submission, but it will be worth your while to do so, as will be explained below.

3) At Local Time:10-16-2004 at 07:00 PM, the holds must be submitted to me via email (cjmarks at gmail dot com). Please do your best to send me a finished hold the first time. Fifteen minutes later, victory demos for each room must be submitted. If it turns out you made an impossible room, I'll accept an updated version of the hold with a small tweak (removing a couple monsters, changing a couple walls in to crumblywalls... not a room redesign) to fix the problem, provided a victory demo comes with it. There's no point in changing from one impossible room to another, after all.

4) At Local Time:10-16-2004 at 08:00 PM, I will release the holds to the public, in a seperate thread, and everyone who submitted a hold will get the chance to defeat each other's holds, recording victory demos along the way. When you've defeated all the holds, announce it in this thread. You will then have fifteen minutes to export and zip your demos and email them to me at the same address. The first three people to announce their superiority and submit a full set of victory demos will win themselves some prizes.

This means the longer your hold is, the more time it will take everyone else to play it, while you will already have your victory demos for it. Anyone may download and play the holds, of course, but only those who submit a hold may win a prize. I expect the contest to take about 8 hours from start to finish. And then, it all happens again!

Since there are some backwards countries where they sleep during the day and stay up at night, in an effort to be reasonable to those who will not be awake at the time of the contest, a second contest will run exactly 12 hours later. I'll probably bribe Matt in to doing it with a muffin or something. This means everyone will have a chance to win, not just those in the Western Hemisphere.

To protect the fairness inherent in everything on the planet, it is entirely unreasonable to reuse the themes from the first contest in the second. As such, an entirely different set of five themes will be used in the second contest, so that nobody can gain any sort of upper hand.

For each incarnation of this contest, first place will win 100 points and an item from the DROD store (or a free copy of JtRH), second place will win 50 points and a hug from your mom, and third place will win 25 points and some much needed sleep.

Additionally, a special "Rookie Bonus" of 10 points will be awarded to anyone who submits a five level hold and competes for the prizes, and hasn't entered a previous contest.

So, who's going to answer King B.'s call? Also, if anything is unclear, please feel free to let me know and I shall perform a revision... coffee for all!

[Edited by DiMono at Local Time:10-11-2004 at 07:50 PM]

[Edited by DiMono at Local Time:10-16-2004 at 05:00 PM]

[Edited by DiMono at Local Time:10-16-2004 at 06:57 PM]

[Edited by DiMono at Local Time:10-16-2004 at 11:29 PM]

[Edited by DiMono at Local Time:10-17-2004 at 04:59 AM]

[Edited by DiMono at Local Time:10-17-2004 at 05:00 AM]

10-02-2004 at 02:55 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Sim
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 90
icon Re: The Dungeons of Snoll! (0)  
DiMono - Are the times you've posted in Canadian time (-5 GMT)? If I'm not mistaken, this means that it will run from 9pm to 4am at GMT (allowing 105 minutes for playing, 15 for demos), and therefore the later contest at 9am to 4pm. That would be fine for me, but I'd like to make sure.

Also, can holds be made accidentally unsolvable by the player (like one of the I Ching entries)?

I'm sure it'll be a great contest though, if tiring ;)
10-02-2004 at 10:46 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
icon Re: The Dungeons of Snoll! (+1)  
Sim wrote
DiMono - Are the times you've posted in Canadian time (-5 GMT)?
The times are in your time.
Dimono wrote:( man, I love that localtime tag).

People should sign up beforehand if they are going to enter in first or second contest and receive themes as private messages. You could cheat by peeking at themes at first contest, spending 12 hours (!) to make those 5 levels and have a huge advantage...

I get always confused with PM and AM. Could you give the times in 24 hour format too?
10-02-2004 at 10:55 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
Note that you need to make sure your timezone is set correctly in your profile for the "localtime" thing to be accurate. I.e. if you live in Greenland then your timezone is GMT -3:00.

-Erik

10-02-2004 at 03:00 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
DiMono
Also, the contest is going to run twice. The first running might begin at 9pm, but then the second time it will begin at 9am so that everyone gets a chance to play. Now I just need to find that muffin for Matt...

To clarify: The first running of the contest will begin at noon EST (9am PST), and the second running will be 12 hours later.

[Edited by DiMono at Local Time:10-02-2004 at 03:58 PM]

10-02-2004 at 03:57 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Sim
Even if the themes were PMed, couldn't a user enter the first competition, recieve the themes and not enter/make a poor entry, and then sign up as a new user and enter the second contest, knowing in advance what the themes were? Unless the themes are different in each contest there would be a big advantage. Even if one of the times is very inconvenient for them, they could get somebody else in a different time zone to mail them the themes.
10-02-2004 at 06:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
DiMono
The themes will indeed be different for each contest. I guess I should have specified that in the original post... give me a second

Edit: Done and done. The fact that different themes will be used in each contest has now been added to the initial post. Thanks for pointing out that omission... or however you spell it.

In answer to your other question about unsolvable holds: If the hold author can't complete a room, I don't expect anyone else to either. If that means nothing past the second level can be reached, then so be it. That is, in fact, the entire point of having the victory demos sent to me; to make sure the hold is solvable. Hopefully, though, this will not be an issue for this contest, or any other.

[Edited by DiMono at Local Time:10-02-2004 at 06:13 PM]

10-02-2004 at 06:09 PM
wackhead_uk
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 352
5 themes as in making a timer room with tar including mimics?
10-02-2004 at 06:31 PM
Doom
Hmm... I would have a chance to enter in both contests. :D (One for morning, one for evening)
I guess it would be unfair because the point is that everyone could enter in one of them.
10-02-2004 at 06:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
DiMono
Well, in theory anybody who isn't a huge fan of sleep could enter both contests... I really do expect each one to go about 8 hours from start to finish. I'm certainly not running both of them, my bed and I have an excellent relationship. I make it feel wanted.

10-02-2004 at 09:56 PM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
Did someone say muffin?!?

I think I should be able to participate, seeing as round 2's being held on a Sunday. Whether or not I manage to do it is another matter.

Matt

10-03-2004 at 09:38 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
swann_88
Rank Points: 87
I love this idea
ultimately though the weather will decide my participation

and sim there are multiple time zones in Canada
10-06-2004 at 05:26 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
DiMono
Mattcrampy wrote:
Did someone say muffin?!?

I think I should be able to participate, seeing as round 2's being held on a Sunday. Whether or not I manage to do it is another matter.

Matt
Well, if you're participating then I need to find someone else in Australia to run the second leg. Any suggestions or volunteers?

10-06-2004 at 05:34 AM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
Oh, oh right. Wel, yeah sure, I'll run it for you, DiMono. I'll probably have more fun anyways.

I thought you wanted to make sure you had at least one entrant, but... no, no, that's no problem. I can run it.

Clear the schedules!

Matt

10-06-2004 at 08:24 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
DiMono
Now that you mention it, only two people have committed to either contest, and you're one of them. Hopefully there will be more then the time actually comes to run them, though I'd really like some more people to step forward and declare their intent to compete.

10-06-2004 at 01:46 PM
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1978
I think the main reason that I'm not going to compete in this contest is that it requires quite a commitment. Eight hours in one day is just too much DROD for me, thank you very much.

10-06-2004 at 06:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
DiMono wrote:
Now that you mention it, only two people have committed to either contest, and you're one of them. Hopefully there will be more then the time actually comes to run them, though I'd really like some more people to step forward and declare their intent to compete.

Well, I'd like to enter, but I think the timing is a bit difficult for me. Hold building will be alright, but then playing everyone else's won't be too fun, since the holds will be released at about 22:00, and this leaves me only 1-2 hours before requiring going to bed.

Plus, I may have too much homework, and 6-8 hours of the day spent on DROD doesn't sound like a good idea, since my homework should take priority.

10-06-2004 at 08:59 PM
HSE
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 162
Unfortunately, I have the same situation as Agaricus and Robo. I have a lot of coursework to do, and I normally go to bed at around 11pm (UK time). Playing DROD for about 6-8 hours is too much for me, partly because my head hurts too much (having a half-bone, half-metal skull is tough) and because I have school...
10-06-2004 at 10:04 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
I should be able to compete in the second contest.
10-07-2004 at 12:43 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
This sounds like a fun contest, but I can't spend more than 3(In extreme conditions) hours on my computer in a row simply because I LOVE being outside. Besides, I may have to work that day if I get a part-time job...plus homework. If you could have made the contest in a shorter time, then it might have been a bit better.

10-07-2004 at 01:01 AM
DiMono
Alright then, how about this:

3 themes released half an hour apart, at noon EST, 12:30, and 1:00. Holds due in by 2:00. Holds released for playing at 3:00. You can even take the hour off between 2 and 3 to go ...amuse yourself in some way, and then it shouldn't be more than an hour or two to play through the rest of the holds. I still need victory demos for all your rooms though. Does that sound better?

10-07-2004 at 01:24 AM
Sim
My only problem with the original contest was that I'd lose around 45 minutes of building time to eat, which I couldn't avoid.
I'd very likely be in for this new one though, although I couldn't guarantee.
10-07-2004 at 07:04 AM
Brickman
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 17
You need to make more restrictions on the rooms. Sure, you said that they all need vic demos and "each room must have a puzzle that conforms to the theme," but waht if I made half the room be a puzzle conforming to the theme and the other half a 20 switch puzzle to enure that I would have time to beat everyone else's holds before they could finish it? Or added an efficiency section with a 29/30 max efficiency for killing the roaches that would take 10 minutes to finish? One can make half a room and stick the special part in the other half, and thus have vic demos already made of the time consuming parts before the clock starts ticking on submissions.
10-09-2004 at 06:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Doom
Yeah, no rooms that require 100 zillion moves.

It might be a good idea to update the times in first post if they're going to be changed.
10-09-2004 at 07:03 PM
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
I believe DiMono has several restrictions in mind, but he's going to wait to reveal them until the time of the contest.

-Erik

10-09-2004 at 10:44 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
agaricus5
Doom wrote:
Yeah, no rooms that require 100 zillion moves.

I was going to say that as an objection earlier, for example putting a mini Hanoi-style puzzle might be possible, but there is already a restriction on the holds anyway. If the delay between hold submission and victory demo upload is around 5-15 minutes, the total time you have to build the levels and record demos for them is around 1 hr 30 min to 2 hr, so the entire hold's room demos cannot therefore total more than this time. Take away time for reading, building, playtesting and exporting, and I'd say each hold's demo totals shouldn't exceed 30-60 min.

Of course, if we get lots of entrants, like around 5-8, the holds should be made smaller accodingly, since a 3-5 hour DROD playing marathon is certainly not an attractive idea. Perhaps DiMono, you should require all people entering to declare so and then work out how long the holds should be. There probably should be a restriction on how many people enter a single contest, otherwise it just becomes unfair for people who don't have a tremendous amount of time, or happen to live in an unfortunate time-zone that has the contest beginning at 5-7 pm or am.

10-09-2004 at 11:11 PM
DiMono
agaricus5 wrote:
Perhaps DiMono, you should require all people entering to declare so and then work out how long the holds should be.
Well, I did ask in the first post who would be entering, and only a couple people have replied. Among the things this could mean are a) no interest, b) interest but something wrong with the contest, c) interest but don't feel like saying so... there are probably others, but the end result is I cannot force people to announce their participation.

At this time, the restrictions on holds as I see them are:

Each level must be at least 4 rooms
Each room must have a puzzle in it that conforms to the level's theme
Each room must have a victory demo
The entire hold must be finished in 2 hours
Victory demos must be submitted 15 minutes later

Given that it takes time to make and test the rooms, it probably won't take more than about 30 minutes - one hour to play through any one hold. If entry is as low as it currently looks like it will be, then this will be no problem at all for contest length issues.

Now I'm going to go edit the first post in the thread to reflect the changed time and level information.

10-11-2004 at 07:48 PM
DiMono
Alright, mighty architects, the time for architecting is almost upon you. In a mere negative 1017 weeks, 5 days, the first of the three level themes will be released by King Ballioutay for your completion. Are you up to the challenge?

Here are the final guidelines for this contest:

There will be three level themes released, half an hour apart. An hour after the last theme is released, your entry is due in my email box (cjmarks at gmail dot com). As quickly as humanly possible after that, victory demos for all rooms in your hold are due, to make sure it can in fact be completed. I will be looking for them a half hour after the hold is submitted. Please do try to submit a finished hold the first time, but if a minor tweak (add a square of wall, remove a tar baby... not an entire room redesign) makes the room solvable then I will accept a resubmit of your hold.

Each level must be at least four rooms, and every room must have a puzzle that conforms to the current theme; no mere hallways. Purely for the sake of keeping the scale of the contest reasonable, please do not put more than 8 rooms on a level. Your hold doesn't have to be anyone-edit, but I given the format of the contest I can't really see a good reason for it not to be. It's not like you can record demos in the editor anyway, but people might want to play the rooms they couldn't get to before.

Additionally, since you're trying to build the rooms to King Ballioutay's specifications, please do not make half the room conform to the theme, and the other half some totally unrelated puzzle. If you asked me for a brown chair and I gave you a chair that was brown on one side and red on the other, you would not be pleased.

You do not have to submit a finished hold for this contest, but it is in your best interest to do so.

At Local Time:10-16-2004 at 08:00 PM I will release the holds in a different thread, and it is then a race to finish them all. When you have completed all the rooms and saved your victory demos, make a post in that thread, and then zip them and send them to me within fifteen minutes.

First three people to announce finishing and send me their demos win prizes, as well as a rookie prize for anyone who's entering their first contest with this one.

Rule addition: As further incentive to enter a full 3 level hold with at least 4 rooms on each level, in addition to making it that much harder for the other contestants to defeat you, you get +5 rank points. I haven't actually cleared this with Matt yet, so if he doesn't agree to distribute these then I'll donate them out of my own pocket.

And remember, for people who will be unable to enter this contest, there will be a second contest starting in negative 1017 weeks, 5 days with exactly the same rules (though a different email address, as I won't be the one running that contest).

In order to keep things interesting, as we get closer to the contest start time the following text will be revealed as themes you will not have to worry about in this contest.

Kill the Queens! (Roach Queens, that is)

Disarm the tar. (Trapdoors, get it? ...sorry)

Spiders and Palace and Brains, oh my!

I shall return in negative 1017 weeks, 5 days to start posting level themes. Best of luck to everybody!

10-16-2004 at 03:00 PM
DiMono
The time has come! With one mighty stroke of his gavel-like hand, King Ballioutay shall reveal the themes he wants for his audition holds. Stand in awe at the majesty of his task! Let it be known that the themes for this competition shall be:

1) Follow The Leader.

2) Your Friend, The Snake.

3) They Can't See Me - I Can't See Them!

King B. has asked me to wish everybody only the best of luck in this endeavor, as he looks forward to seeing each and every entry in this competition. Remember, your entry is due Local Time:10-16-2004 at 07:00 PM, and I'll be making another post at Local Time:10-16-2004 at 06:45 PM to let everyone know the time is nigh.

Alright. Themes will be revealed every half hour, and I'm going to update the top post in this thread with them as well. I will be lurking on the forums all day, so if you have any questions about the contest please feel free to ask them in the thread, or to send me a PM. And yes, the themes are intentionally vague to allow for more flexibility.

10-16-2004 at 04:58 PM
agaricus5
I've had a go, but 2 hours is not nearly enough time to build, playtest and proof-check even 4 good and varied rooms of such vague (and confusing) themes that will require a relatively long time to complete compared to the time put in to make them.

I guess I'm poor at making rooms quickly, and under pressure.

So...

I'm going to pull out.

Sorry.

[Edited by agaricus5 at Local Time:10-16-2004 at 06:40 PM]

10-16-2004 at 06:39 PM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : The Dungeons of Snoll! (October 2004 contest)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com