Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : Tips for coming up with puzzles/puzzle potential
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
vinheim
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 300
IP: Logged
icon Tips for coming up with puzzles/puzzle potential (+1)  
Whether it's for DRoD holds or your own personal video game development project, what advice can you give for creating puzzles? In general, when I put myself in the position of the devs who knows the puzzle solution, I wonder how it is they could gauge the difficulty of the puzzle. For example, in Fish Fillets 2, the difficulty is consistent, really difficult from the get-go, yet how could they have done this when from their perspective, they know all the quirks required to get past each level? When I beat a DRoD hold, same feeling, I look back and everything seems trivial because I know how to solve them.

For people on their own personal projects, what advice can you give for creating maximum "synergy" between game elements, so that you can increase/maximize puzzle potential. In regards to DRoD, every element works well with every other element even if some of them seem to have specific uses.
08-12-2014 at 08:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Syntax
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1218
IP: Logged
icon Re: Tips for coming up with puzzles/puzzle potential (+1)  
Not a recent post but great question so thought I'd give an answer.

What I find is that game design and game creation are usually opposite ends (to a point). The issue is that when creating a game engine or concept, the writer/coder becomes too aware of the mechanics. This then makes it difficult to be creative with that engine.

Queue person 2 - a gamer who loves games. Not only will that person push the game concepts/abilities etc but will usually use the engine in the most innovative ways.

Of course, that's a broad generalisation but always best to work in a team would be my advice.

With regards to DROD, it's not just the devs creating the levels - quite the contrary. The final levels are obviously triaged/sorted/accepted/rejected by the admins but the amount of teamwork involved in creating DROD is why it's possible for those involved to gauge the difficulty of puzzles for example.

As for the elements and synergy, well that's called magic :) If you're serious into game development I'd be happy to help hosting-wise etc I'm currently embarking on a mission to learn Unity and create a fun game with a few friends across the world but I doubt we'll ever match that DROD feeling of exploration and achievement :)
09-13-2014 at 08:09 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : Tips for coming up with puzzles/puzzle potential
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com