Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : A Fresh Spin On DROD (a puzzle recap, and Sudoku!)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
abe10
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 18
IP: Logged

File: A Fresh Spin On DROD-v1.hold (137.8 KB)
Downloaded 41 times.
License: Public Domain
icon A Fresh Spin On DROD (0)  
Take the harder path for a new trick created by 12th Archivist. Top right of Sudoku Once West. You will know what I mean.

07-26-2014 at 05:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
12th Archivist
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 789
icon Re: A Fresh Spin On DROD (0)  
Um. What?

Check out the DROD Wikia project here!
07-26-2014 at 07:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5381
icon Re: A Fresh Spin On DROD (+1)  
You know what he means.

07-26-2014 at 08:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
abe10
Not now, but you will know what I mean once you get to the second level.

07-26-2014 at 08:12 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Elfstone
Rank Points: 1285
Puzzle Type Recap desperately needs save squares. I would suggest one in each of the passages.

07-26-2014 at 08:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Pinnacle
Rank Points: 1126
I thought that was just a really clever way of referring to player role puzzles, but you meant the grappling hook, right.

07-26-2014 at 08:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
abe10
The checkpoints have a been added. I will upload the second version in a short while.

07-26-2014 at 09:04 PM
abe10

File: A Fresh Spin On DROD-v2.hold (138 KB)
Downloaded 22 times.
Here it is. :).

I Am Aware that it is WAY TOO EASY. My goal is Not difficulty, but ingenuity.

[Last edited by abe10 at 07-26-2014 09:42 PM]
07-26-2014 at 09:41 PM
Jacob
Rank Points: 3741
I have no clue what was supposed to happen in the lynchpin or sudoku rooms.

In the former I tried a few things then just go teleported to the room exit.

In the latter...um...no idea.

07-27-2014 at 01:55 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
abe10
Yeaaaah... I truly hade no clue how to craft a lynchpin room. I just tried to make it so that you HAD TO beat Both Parts in a limited number of moves.

As for the Sudoku level, That Is The Whole Point Of The Hold!!! It was made to test he waters. If people like it enough, I might (hopefully will) make a longer and tricker hold based Solely on Sudoku.

[Last edited by abe10 at 07-27-2014 02:09 AM]
07-27-2014 at 02:04 AM
12th Archivist
abe10 wrote:
I truly hade no clue how to craft a lynchpin room.
One: Recall a simple but clever interaction between elements that you enjoy
Two: Make this interaction the solution to your puzzle
Three: Lightly obfuscate the solution with red herrings, diversions, complexities, etc.
Four: Place checkpoints and make it pretty
Five: ???
Six: Profit!

07-27-2014 at 02:20 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
The spitemaster
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 354
That fifth step is the hardest. I can never get to the profit stage.

I wish that man would stay away
07-27-2014 at 02:25 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
abe10
If I could give you 50 mod pts, I Would. V3 will be in the works for the next few days. Here's a hint to what I am thinking. Hidden clogs. Enjoy the riddle! :sly.

07-27-2014 at 02:43 AM
xitvono
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 55
I don't really understand these rooms. Well maybe it is better in the newer version, but I tried a sudoku level but sometimes it wouldn't let me push the monsters around, and it isn't clear what the objective is.
07-27-2014 at 04:53 AM
abe10
:(. I am sorry for the confusion. I based the 2nd lvl on the Sudoku puzzles. I guess I assumed everyone who would play it would understand the rules of Sudoku.

Here are the rules. You start witha 9x9 grid divided into 9 3x3 grids. Depending on the difficulty of the puzzle, the 81 individual squares will be mostly filled in or mostly empty. You goal is to fill them all in. There are only 3 restrictions. No column can have duplicates. No row can have duplicates. No 3x3 mini-square can have duplicates. The only symbols you can use are the numbers 1-9. There are even 1-6 and 1-16 variants. Then again, the 1-6 variant I have only seen on a cereal box.

Now as for the application for DROD. The goal us to push the monsters to the correct positions. If you cannot push a monster, then it is in the right position already. Again, it is SUPPOSED to be Way Too Easy. You can cheat, but that issue (hopefully) will be worked out in time.

07-27-2014 at 02:18 PM
abe10

File: A Fresh Spin On DROD-v3.hold (429.9 KB)
Downloaded 26 times.
I am sure that you will be impressed by the new lynchpin room. I forgot to add the entry talk. Just a heads up, there IS a Certain Timing you need to use to best it. enjoy the fight.....
:glasses :sly :glasses :sly

07-30-2014 at 02:46 AM
12th Archivist
Your survival puzzle, as best as I can tell, seems to involve being in the right place when a cutscene stars. It's a legitimate puzzle type, but I'm afraid khaim's war0 beat you to it by four years.

Meanwhile, your Sudoku genre clearly falls under scripting.

Little confused about the Biblical reference. Little upset you misspelled my name. Where's the new impressive lynchpin room?

[Last edited by 12th Archivist at 07-30-2014 05:11 AM]
07-30-2014 at 05:11 AM
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1299
Alright, working through the first level: First thing I notice is poor checkpoint placement (in the first room where it matters - 3N). You'll want to put checkpoints in places where the player wants them - for instance on the bridge in the middle.

Because the scripting in the room is completely unpredictable and non-sensical, I fear that though the room may be possible it is not a worthwhile pursuit for me to attempt to complete it.
07-30-2014 at 02:14 PM
abe10
I am sorry for not thinking like a player. As you can guess, I am still new to the DROD world. I deeply appreciate your feedback, stinging though it is. I did rework 3N and I believe it will be liked. I did fix the misspelled name. The Bible reference is included because I Wanted to include it. Also, 3N IS THE IMPROVED Lynchpin Room!! I will upload v4 later today.

07-30-2014 at 06:00 PM
abe10

File: A Fresh Spin On DROD-v4.hold (430.1 KB)
Downloaded 25 times.
Here is v4!!! Keep the critiques coming, and better versions will keep coming.

[Last edited by abe10 at 07-30-2014 07:52 PM]
07-30-2014 at 07:52 PM
12th Archivist
In general, these rooms seem sprawled and messy and don't look like they have purpose. The entrance, for example, looks like obstacles, monsters, and force arrows were slapped down randomly. 3N in particular has pits adjacent to water, unnecessary fluff vents, poorly-meshed image pits, and a generally unprofessional look.

Also, there are a lot of room borders that don't have a room to match up with. The top right corner of Entrance, for example, looks like it connects with the room to the north, east, and northeast all at once. It only connects to the north, but people won't know that.

Try downloading some high-rated holds and look at the different styles of the different architects. That should make your hold look a bit more professional.

07-30-2014 at 09:16 PM
abe10
Ok. ok. :?. I will peruse your advice and try to do what the most loved holds do. This next version will Definitely take a while. I simply hope the hold can be published by August 18th. I move into College for my Senior year then.

07-30-2014 at 09:22 PM
azb
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 460
Also, just like any other WIP hold:

This needs an Anyone Edit setting. No one, and I mean NO ONE, wants to replay the same rooms over and over and over and... just for a few new rooms.

07-31-2014 at 01:27 AM
abe10
Hmmmmm. Thanks for the advice. I certainly will post v4.ACE tomorrow morning. Again, I apologize for not thinking like a player.

08-01-2014 at 01:06 AM
abe10

File: A Fresh Spin On DROD-v4.1.hold (430.7 KB)
Downloaded 23 times.
I Give You, my Thought Processing!!! aka, anyone can see how I made the 3 levels, 2 working and 1 that might be deleted.

08-02-2014 at 02:48 AM
abe10
icon Re: A Fresh Spin On DROD (-1)  
12th Archivist wrote: I'm afraid khaim's war0 beat you to it by four years.

Meanwhile, your Sudoku genre clearly falls under scripting.

Little confused about the Biblical reference. Little upset you misspelled my name. Where's the new impressive lynchpin room?

I would like to respond to your remarks one by one. I did recently download the entire war series and attempted them all. Only beaten war5 so far, but I believe that I have attempted them all. So yeah, I suppose that the room could be said to have been inspired by the war series, but imitating the saga was NOT what I was aiming for in regards to this room. Sudoku falls under scripting. I guess so. As I thought about it at dinner this evening, I think I can recreate it Without Any Scripting!!!!!!! I will create it and post it in a few days. Strange Bible reference. It exists because I love that passage and I wanted to include a Bible reference. Misspelled name. :selftwak. :bangin. If there was a dunce smily, I would add it too. I am very sorry about that. I did fix it as soon as I was aware of my mistake. New lynchpin room. Lvl1:3N. Same location as before. I Repeat. I Am New To Designing Holds.

@ EVERYONE reading this: If you want to point out anything wrong with my hold, go right ahead and feel 100% free to criticize me here. I will swiftly fix the errors, IF I also think your points merit me editing and uploading a new version, then I will fix the errors and upload it as soon I can. I probably will agree with you.

08-02-2014 at 03:19 AM
abe10

File: A Fresh Spin On DROD-v5.hold (433.2 KB)
Downloaded 23 times.
Did I say
abe10 wrote:
I will create it and post it in a few days.
? I did. I should have said tomorrow. Here it kinda is. Level 2 Once North is the incomplete and complex version. Level 2 Once South is the complete and simple version. BOTH ARE MADE WITHOUT ANY SCRIPTING. PLEASE feel freeto finish the top version if you can. Keep the holding cells, and ensure the players can easily understand what the answer is, but you can change the rest as you wish. Remember, I (hopefully we) are creating a new genera of DROD puzzles. Making it legitimate is more important than making tough puzzles.

08-02-2014 at 10:50 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : A Fresh Spin On DROD (a puzzle recap, and Sudoku!)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com