Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Crash when exporting player from TSS
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Tuttle
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1545
IP: Logged
icon Crash when exporting player from TSS (+1)  
Before the upgrade from 5.0.1.6046 to 5.0.1.6060, I tried to export my player file from TSS. DROD crashed, consistently.

I downgraded to 5.0.0 and tried again. Still crashed.

I exported saves instead of the whole player. Success.

Uninstalled 5.0.0, deleted the remaining .dat files. Installed 5.0.1.6060.

Exported my player file from GatEB and imported it into TSS. Imported all the holds I know I have demos in from CaravelNet where possible and locally for a handful of exceptions. Did not import the exported saves from TSS.

Exported player file from TSS 5.0.1.6060. Success.

Re-imported player file from GatEB. Still did not import the exported saves from TSS. Several notes in drod.err:
.: Parse error (bad symbol)
Exporting player from TSS now crashes again. Exporting saves still works.

Currently uploading all my .dat files and the GatEB player file; will email a link to bugs@ when done.
07-22-2014 at 01:19 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Tuttle
icon Re: Crash when exporting player from TSS (+1)  
Files uploaded and link sent. Ignore the sync.976566692 file i left in there; that's just a marker so I can't accidentally clobber my most recent progress when I'm copying the .dats between machines. (And for the avoidance of doubt, I didn't get as far as copying stuff between machines since I first installed TSS, so there's no accidental mixing going on.)
07-22-2014 at 02:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Tuttle
icon Re: Crash when exporting player from TSS (0)  
Not sure if this will help narrow it down, but exporting just the saves from GatEB and importing them results in only four instances of that error, and I can successfully export the resulting player from TSS.

Importing the original full export over the top results in more errors than I want to count, and makes subsequent exports crash.
07-23-2014 at 11:32 AM
martz
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 414

File: ExportCrash.jpg (158.3 KB)
Downloaded 45 times.
License: Public Domain
Not sure whether this is resolved or not, but I'm having the same issue (trying to export my player before upgrading), although I'm currently using the original build (5.0.0.5923) before upgrading to the latest release (5.0.1.6060). As above, I can export saves with no problem, but not my whole player file.

I've attached a screengrab of the error although I don't imagine it will be much use.

I can email my pre-TSS player profile if that will help at all.

Progress - Gavin G
08-04-2014 at 01:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
Tuttle, Martz, could either of you send me your .dat files which are causing problems?

You can upload it via [url https://www.wetransfer.com/ and send a link to me via PM.

01-29-2015 at 01:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
martz
skell wrote:
Tuttle, Martz, could either of you send me your .dat files which are causing problems?

You can upload it via [url https://www.wetransfer.com/ and send a link to me via PM.
Download link sent - hope it proves useful

Progress - Gavin G
01-29-2015 at 04:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
skell
Thanks for the files! I've investigated a bit with the files but, unfortunately, I was unable to come up with anything of value. You'll have to wait for Mike or TFM to take a look at it to come up with anything useful.

One question though, did you ultimately manage to upgrade to latest TSS version and are able to play the game without a hinch without losing any saves?

01-31-2015 at 05:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
RabidChild
Rank Points: 720
I'm running into this bug as well when trying to upgrade to the new JtRH. I was able to work around the problem by making a copy of my DROD install, deleting every hold but JtRH and then exporting my player, but I still get the same crash when attempting to export my full player file.

I don't know if another set of .dats will help you with this, but I'll PM you a link anyway.
01-31-2015 at 07:17 PM
skell
Which version of TSS are you using Rabid?

01-31-2015 at 09:01 PM
martz
skell wrote: One question though, did you ultimately manage to upgrade to latest TSS version and are able to play the game without a hinch without losing any saves?
I managed to export a saves only profile so in the end I did a clean install to the latest version and used that profile. I'm not overly fussed about losing my saves since I've still got GatEB installed with full profile and also I can probably download most of them in game should I wish. The only thing I lost doing this was all TSS challenges and about 20-odd holds no longer showing 100%, I reckon it took me about 2 hours to redo all these so no harm done. I've since exported my full profile from TSS a number of times without any issues.

Progress - Gavin G
01-31-2015 at 10:41 PM
Tuttle
Same here in terms of progress to date... I've lost all my demo history unless I go back to GatEB, but the saves came across.

However, I just tried a full player export from TSS then and it crashed, so I'm going to be in trouble with DROD.next (or even another TSS update which requires the dance that 5.0.0-5.0.1 did).
01-31-2015 at 11:19 PM
skell
Tuttle wrote:
However, I just tried a full player export from TSS then and it crashed, so I'm going to be in trouble with DROD.next (or even another TSS update which requires the dance that 5.0.0-5.0.1 did).
Humm... Are the dats you sent me the ones on which you tried this crashing player export?

01-31-2015 at 11:50 PM
Tuttle
The ones I sent you were the ones that resulted from this bit in the first post (they were still on Google Drive, I just dug up the link):
Uninstalled 5.0.0, deleted the remaining .dat files. Installed 5.0.1.6060.
Exported my player file from GatEB and imported it into TSS. Imported all the holds I know I have demos in from CaravelNet where possible and locally for a handful of exceptions. Did not import the exported saves from TSS.
Exported player file from TSS 5.0.1.6060. Success.
Re-imported player file from GatEB. Still did not import the exported saves from TSS. Several notes in drod.err:
.: Parse error (bad symbol)
Exporting player from TSS now crashes again. Exporting saves still works.
The ones I have now would be more like this:
Deleted .dat files.
Installed 5.0.1.6060.
Imported player file from GatEB.
Downloaded/imported holds which were installed in GatEB.
Imported a saves-only file from GatEB. (I'm 99% sure I could successfully export a full TSS .player file at this point -- see my third post in the thread.)
Played TSS and a few other holds, and downloaded a few demos from H&S/CNet along the way.
But I guess specifically these .dats don't have any demos imported from GatEB. I can upload my current files as well if you want another data point.

[Last edited by Tuttle at 02-01-2015 12:10 AM]
02-01-2015 at 12:06 AM
skell
Well, if you currently are unable to export your player because TSS crashes I'd like to have your dat files to try to reproduce the issue in my build of TSS and, hopefully, debug, find the issue and code a fix/workaround for this particular issue.

So yea, please send me your dat files :)

02-01-2015 at 12:10 AM
Tuttle
No worries, I've just PMed you another link.
02-01-2015 at 01:19 AM
RabidChild
skell wrote:
Which version of TSS are you using Rabid?
Oh yeah, I meant to say it's 5.0.1.6060.
02-01-2015 at 04:03 AM
Tuttle
Okay, new symptom with the .dat files I uploaded a few hours ago:

- Export saves-only file from TSS Win 5.0.1.6060.
- Delete JtRH.
- Download JtRH from CaravelNet.
- Import saves-only file.

The saved game validation gets almost all the way through the process, then DROD crashes to desktop while processing the JtRH saves.

The same message from the first post is logged in drod.err earlier in the import/validation:
.: Parse error (bad symbol).: Parse error (bad symbol).: Parse error (bad symbol).: Parse error (bad symbol)
But the crash happens about 3 minutes later than the timestamp on drod.err, and there's no indication of anything being logged at that point.

So yeah, the only way I can play JtRH 5.0 right now is to start from the beginning.
02-01-2015 at 12:06 PM
robin
Rank Points: 842
My DROD also crashes often on exporting my player file, I send a link to my DAT files through PM

(Beethro is my main player profile)

[Last edited by robin at 02-03-2015 04:02 PM]
02-03-2015 at 04:00 PM
robin
Rank Points: 842
Sorry to bump this:

robin wrote:
When my drod crashes when I export my player file,
I close drod, restart it and first export the file.
Sometimes I need to do this 3 or 4 times, but it always works (eventually)

(comes from this post/topic)

Currently it crashes everytime I export my player file.

After viewing the crash several times, I think the problem is located in one of my holds, because it's seems to crash Always on the "same place" (the postition of the yellow bar, I mean)
And I think when it's exporting the demo's of Lost Central Station it crashes.

It's just a hunch, but I just wanted to let you know my thoughts.

03-04-2015 at 03:32 PM
RabidChild
So, I ran into this issue again when trying to update to the new version of TCB. After some experimentation, I found I was able to export my player file if I deleted Lavender Levels. I'm not sure why that particular hold should cause issues, but it's something to investigate. I'm still using .6060.
09-06-2015 at 06:26 PM
Dragon Fogel
Rank Points: 2430
My theory is that it may have something to do with the Conway scripting. I vaguely recall some other issue with that particular level.

I had the same issue with exporting but then I couldn't re-import the resulting player file.
09-06-2015 at 07:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
adS
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 214
I have copied my Drod folder, deleted the Lavnder hold and exported my player file: crashed.

Best wishes,

adS

09-06-2015 at 08:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tuttle
I'm almost certain my initial report is completely unrelated to Lavender Levels (which wasn't released until October 2014, about 3 months after the bug report).

[Last edited by Tuttle at 09-07-2015 11:44 AM]
09-07-2015 at 11:43 AM
Tuttle
icon Re: Crash when exporting player from TSS (+3)  
Based on something from another bug, I've done testing with Linux VMs, copying my current .dat files across and attempting to export a full player profile.

DROD 5.0.1.6060 on Windows 7 64-bit: original system, still crashes.
DROD 5.0.1.6061 on Ubuntu 15.10 32-bit: successful export.
DROD 5.0.1.6061 on Ubuntu 15.10 64-bit: successful export.

The Linux VM had 3 GB of RAM. My Windows host has 6 GB.

So either there's a relevant change to 5.0.1.6061, or there's probably something Windows-specific in action for me.

[Last edited by Tuttle at 12-15-2015 12:13 PM]
12-15-2015 at 12:12 PM
RabidChild
Bumping this because it's still an issue in 5.1 (specifically 5.1.0.6512 on Windows 10). This time I had to delete a whole bunch of holds before I could get anything to export.
05-06-2016 at 04:19 PM
mrimer
Rank Points: 5056
I am optimistic that the memory fixes implemented for 5.1.1 have mitigated this issue.

If you're a player that has been having this issue in 5.1.0, please try the 5.1.1 dev build to confirm it's been fixed.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
10-21-2020 at 11:15 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
RabidChild
Nope, DROD still crashes when trying to export my player in the 5.1.1 alpha.
10-22-2020 at 10:57 PM
mrimer
Thanks for confirming. May I get a copy of your .dat files to troubleshoot?

You can PM or email me a link, or let me know what you'd feel comfortable with.

[Last edited by mrimer at 10-22-2020 11:58 PM]
10-22-2020 at 11:57 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
RabidChild
Thanks, Mike! Sent you a PM.
10-23-2020 at 10:12 PM
mrimer
Much appreciated!

Looked into this carefully and I have devised a fix for 5.1.1:
PR

(Unfortunately, importing your exported .player file still fails on the 32-bit Windows build with the large .dats you have. I don't have a way to fix that issue yet, but the profile can be imported into an instance with smaller .dat files.)

10-26-2020 at 01:36 AM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Crash when exporting player from TSS
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com