Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Keeping It Secret! (Official contest for July/August 2014)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
gamer_extreme_101
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1939
IP: Logged
icon Keeping It Secret! (+8)  
One of my favourite phrases in life is that it’s never the destination that’s important, it’s the journey that’s the most memorable. In DROD, it’s most applicable to whenever I start searching for secret rooms in DROD. I’m sure you’ve all felt the feeling - a lot of the times, simply searching for secret walls isn’t that enjoyable. But, when you find a room where it may even be obvious that there’s a secret, but finding out how to reach it is a puzzle of its own is just so much more satisfying!

So, now that people have played a good chunk of DROD: The Second Sky, you’re probably all eager to start cracking open the editor and playing around. That’s why we’re here! Your job today is to create a fun and challenging room which leads to a secret room. While it may seem like a lost cause, I think you’ll find a lot of great ways to execute on this idea, especially with some of the new elements introduced in the latest version!

Here are the rules, of course:

*What I’m looking for (And what voters will be told to look for) is a room that requires you to solve it in a difficult or maybe not-so-obvious way instead of what will most likely be an easier way. It may require you to leave the main puzzle unsolveable, it may be having to make a pass through the level twice or three times courtesy of seeding beacons, or it may be something else entirely. The point is simple - getting to the secret room should be as much of a puzzle as solving the room normally, if not more!
*You are limited to one puzzle room per entry. You can have adjacent rooms if you need to have people walk through different entrances (And with the addition of seeding beacons now too, I’m sure we’ll be seeing a lot of this!)
*The actual secret room needs to stay empty, for reasons that will become apparent later. It’s not the destination, it’s the journey that matters!
*All holds submitted must be Anyone Edit. It makes it faster to create a compilation that way (And helps with something else that will become apparent later)
*I’ll allow a maximum of three entries per person, but cap prizes as one per person.
*Prizes! Usual prize structure as normal, with first place taking home one hundred juicy rank points, something from the Prize Pile, and the title of “Sapphire Secretist”! Second walks away with an impressive 50 rank points, three free months of CaravelNet, and the title of “Secret Sous Chef”. Third place gets a cool 25 rank points, one free month of CaravelNet, along with the honorary title of “Secret Stickhandler”.
*If this is your first contest, welcome to the fun! We'll give you 10 rank points just for coming out and joining us!
*Entries can be submitted here until Local Time:08-14-2014 at 07:00 PM, with voting and part two to come afterwards!

And by now, your mind is probably racing wondering what mysterious thing I keep refering to is. I guess you'll just have to see later. ;)

Best of luck to everyone!

[Last edited by mrimer at 07-21-2014 05:33 PM]
07-21-2014 at 05:09 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
disoriented
Rank Points: 2384
icon Re: Keeping It Secret! (0)  
Looking forward to what people come up with.

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.
07-21-2014 at 07:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jacob
Rank Points: 3746
Great idea!

07-21-2014 at 08:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
icon Re: Keeping It Secret! (+1)  
Couple of additional points brought up in CaravelChat last night:

-If you're doing multiple entries, you can submit them all in one hold for convenience if you want - I just need each entry to be on separate levels.
-If people need to restore/it's impossible to backtrack to get the secret in one save, that's perfectly fine.

07-22-2014 at 04:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
blorx1
Rank Points: 920
I've submitted an entry; I'm pretty happy with it even if it may require some knowledge that's a bit advanced for a contest hold (I'm sorry; I never intend it to end up like this, but it always seems to).

I also plan to submitted a second entry that will just annoy the heck out of everybody. If I can't get highest rated entry I can at least get lowest rated entry.

Edit: I just reread the rules and noticed that the secret has to be empty, if I have level art there, but no puzzles at all, is that ok? I have a good solution if that isn't allowed.

[Last edited by blorx1 at 07-25-2014 10:02 PM]
07-24-2014 at 06:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
blorx1 wrote:
Edit: I just reread the rules and noticed that the secret has to be empty, if I have level art there, but no puzzles at all, is that ok? I have a good solution if that isn't allowed.
Room art is fine, just no puzzles or anything.

On a side note, I love seeing everyone who sent me rooms with Greenhouse Puzzle music in them. :wub That said, it will not influence my voting. :)

[Last edited by gamer_extreme_101 at 07-25-2014 06:52 AM]
07-25-2014 at 06:51 AM
blorx1
Alright; I've re-uploaded so that I don't have to have that ugly empty secret room. Not that it really matters, but the rest of the level looks so nice that I wouldn't really want that there.

07-25-2014 at 06:59 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Godot23
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 114
I think I'll get in on this. Especially since I haven't done a contest in about a year. That one a year ago was my first contest, and it didn't go to well, do I'm looking forward to trying again

My house is on fire
07-31-2014 at 12:49 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
So I'll say right now that we have eleven excellent entries right now, and they all have a wide variety of techniques used. I am very impressed!

08-01-2014 at 01:08 AM
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3408
How many other entries?

08-01-2014 at 02:55 AM
blorx1
If non-puzzle rooms have puzzle elements that are used to make the secret accessible (say it's a bit of a multi-room puzzle). Is that ok? I may have wanted to make a third entry that would be a bit *strange*, shall we say.

08-06-2014 at 05:13 AM
blorx1
Well after finding out about some implicit size requirements, I submitted a cut down version of my third entry. It's a bit strange, but it ended up not having as many flagrant backtracking issues as a result so it might be for the best.

08-08-2014 at 05:15 PM
gamer_extreme_101
Three days left to submit entries, and we have officially got the twenty entry mark! That said, the more the merrier!

Voting will probably start on the weekend, as will the second part of the contest....

08-11-2014 at 06:18 AM
gamer_extreme_101
Reminder that there is less than 24 hours! Get those entries in!

08-13-2014 at 08:28 PM
gamer_extreme_101
And courtesy of an incredibly last minute entry, we have twenty five total! Thanks again to everyone who entered!

Compilation hold (And part two) will go live after the developer interview with Mike on Saturday morning!

08-14-2014 at 07:33 PM
disoriented
Rank Points: 2384
I thought there was a temporary moratorium on new holds (at least officially published ones on the Holds board) by the HAs until further notice.

In that case, it might be some time before we can download the compilation through CaravelNet?

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.
08-14-2014 at 09:22 PM
Jacob
Rank Points: 3746
I presume it will be put up on the contests/architecture board so that we can vote on the entries, rather than immediately being submitted to the HAs anyway.

Also, Patrick implied there are further steps to this contest anyway.

08-14-2014 at 09:36 PM
gamer_extreme_101
It'll just be posted in a topic in the Contests board for now. After the contest is done and more tweaks are made it'll eventually end up on the Holds board.

08-14-2014 at 11:10 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Keeping It Secret! (Official contest for July/August 2014)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com