Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : New poll type (How do you rate this new feature?)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
How do you rate this new feature?
Please select a rating:
Note: Viewing results forfeits your right to vote.
Poster Message
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5416
IP: Logged
icon New poll type (+1)  
We have all of these contest polls where we want people to rate stuff, and they're annoying to create and annoying to intrepret the results of.

So I added a new poll type - "Rating". It doesn't let the user provide options, as the options are implicit.

At least for now - and perhaps permanently - the possible range of ratings is a non-configurable 1 through 10. It's what we've been using for contests, and I think we can live with that limitation.

After you've voted or selected "View Results", it will display the number of votes for each rating, as well as the average vote.

As usual, just yell at me if I broke anything.

09-25-2004 at 05:55 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2388
icon Re: New poll type (0)  
Dammit Schik! If you're going to keep throwing my chairs through windows, I'm not letting you around to my house any more!

On the other hand, nice rating poll. I swear DROD.net has the most robust polls out of any internet forum anywhere.

Matt

09-25-2004 at 12:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Nillo
Rank Points: 548
That's a whole lot of decimals there.
Hopefully we'll have no more problems with ties in contests now. :)

“Folks say that if you listen real close at the height of the full moon, when the wind is blowin' off Nantucket Sound from the nor' east and the dogs are howlin' for no earthly reason, you can hear the awful screams of the crew of the 'Ellie May,' a sturdy whaler Captained by John McTavish; for it was on just such a night when the rum was flowin' and, Davey Jones be damned, big John brought his men on deck for the first of several screaming contests.”
09-25-2004 at 01:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Watcher
Rank Points: 902
Excellent work. :thumbsup

Mattcrampy wrote:
On the other hand, nice rating poll. I swear DROD.net has the most robust polls out of any internet forum anywhere.

I agree. On all other boards I've seen, a poll can only include one question, with the creator specifying whether the users can select multiple answers. (And the percentage displays tend to be buggy if they can.) Also, this is the only board I know of where you can't view the results before voting.

09-25-2004 at 01:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
There is one thing I like about this new type of poll that nobody's mentioned yet: it's much, much smaller than the radio-button polls. Now it's actually reasonable to have ten polls on a page, as they no longer dominate the thread. Great work!

Edit: Still dominates when you've already voted though... could results be displayed horizontally instead of vertically for this type of poll?

[Edited by DiMono at Local Time:09-25-2004 at 02:14 PM]

09-25-2004 at 02:13 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
DiMono wrote:
Edit: Still dominates when you've already voted though... could results be displayed horizontally instead of vertically for this type of poll?
I took a shot at this. I can't say I'm entirely thrilled with the results, but I'm too tired to try to make it nicer right now.

09-28-2004 at 05:52 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
DiMono
I think I would do it without displaying the bars, and colouring the columns appropriately based on what percentage each vote received. That would allow them to be a constant width, and would add some colour.

09-28-2004 at 12:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
icon Re: New poll type (+1)  
That, for lack of a better word, is a terrible idea. Colors would be totally arbitrary, while the bars are directly representational of the percentages. Even if I memorize the color list, you'd have to use at least 10 different colors to represent 10% increments and that means at some point there'll be a need to tell two similar shades apart when they're not next to each other which is a difficult task even for people with great vision, let alone anyone whose vision isn't perfect.

[Edited by eytanz at Local Time:09-28-2004 at 01:10 PM]

09-28-2004 at 01:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
leroy00
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 155
I can't really think of a good way to do this; sometimes you just have to make a sacrifice somewhere. Bars of this sort are lent meaning precisely by the fact that they are all displayed with a common starting point such that they provide a visual comparision of that which they represent, in this case voting options, which can be visually parsed faster than numbers. Displaying them this way causes this quality to be lost. One compromise could be to display the bars standing vertically in a horizontal row. This could work for this particular kind of post due to the fact that the category names are all small, i.e. a number between 1 and 10.

If that doesn't work, either sacrifice the bars all together or live with the space mongering. I can't recall having seen more than one poll in a thread, anyway, or am I missing the point?

--leroy

[Edited by leroy00 at Local Time:09-28-2004 at 03:33 PM]

09-28-2004 at 03:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
HSE
Rank Points: 162
I'm sorry, but what I see does look slightly ugly. It might just be bad DLing on my part, but I'm not a fan of this. How about a drop-down menu which shows us the number of votes for each category?
09-28-2004 at 06:21 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Schik
No need to be sorry - it is indeed ugly. I'll be working on something that will hopefully be much better soon.

09-28-2004 at 06:27 PM
Schik
Okay, I revamped the bars for this type of poll. Now they're vertical, but relatively short so as to not take up the entire screen. I removed the # of votes display, since it looked clunky, but then re-added it as a mouseover on each bar.

09-28-2004 at 07:22 PM
wackhead_uk
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 352
That's very Nice! for multiple question polls, would they be stacked sideways, or upwards?
09-28-2004 at 08:19 PM
HSE
Rank Points: 162
This one looks much better. Almost futuristic, even, what with the metallic-silver bars. Well done Schik.
09-28-2004 at 09:46 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Mikko
Rank Points: 276
I would like to point out that despite voting for "1", I actually think this is a good thing. I just thought it would be a better test of the feature to vote for a less obvious option. :D
09-28-2004 at 11:22 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
This is really nice :)

09-28-2004 at 11:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
DiMono
The new display looks excellent. As for having the polls repeat horizontally or vertically, the css tag "float" could find a use here. <table style="float: left;"> would try to fit as many polls in a row as possible, and when it ran out of room it would just loop back down to the next row. Then style="clear: left;" on the table that contains the rest of the thread would make sure it still appears as it's supposed to

Actually, a reasonable example of this may be viewed here using pictures and captions. The centered text at the bottom uses clear:left in order to be centered. Just resize your browser window to see how they interact with each other. ...then explore the site, it has a lot of content :)

09-28-2004 at 11:54 PM
leroy00
Rank Points: 155
Very nice job, Schik. I think you've managed to get the best of both worlds, here.

--leroy

[Edited by leroy00 at Local Time:09-30-2004 at 08:58 AM]

09-30-2004 at 08:58 AM
DiMono
One thing the new layout is missing: How many votes does that large bar represent? Though holding the same percentage, 3vs1 is a lot different than 3000vs1000

10-01-2004 at 05:47 PM
Schik
As I noted up a few posts, the # of votes is in the mouseover for each bar. So it's not immediately obvious, but it looked too clunky to add it in as another row in the table.

10-01-2004 at 06:27 PM
Watcher
Rank Points: 902
Quick suggestion: add the sum of the votes and number of votes after the average vote value. So this particular poll, for example, would read Average Vote 8.28 (207/25). It's not really important, but it might be nice to have.

Also, thanks for converting the current contest vote to a rating poll.

10-01-2004 at 07:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : New poll type (How do you rate this new feature?) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com