Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : ATTN: BackEndLib and FrontEndLib.
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
IP: Logged
icon ATTN: BackEndLib and FrontEndLib. (0)  
No, it's not a pair of esoteric RPG bosses. :D

As of today, the DROD file tree has been majorly revamped. This has been done to improve the reusability and maintainability of the code. I've added two new libraries to the project: BackEndLib contains files taken from DRODLib, comprised of classes containing non-DROD-specific functionality (like generic data structure, I/O methods, and stuff for portability). Similarly, FrontEndLib is the analog for the DROD directory. There have been major changes made to the file tree, including files deleted from the DROD and DRODLib directories and added to these new ones. So don't be caught off guard next time you do a cvs update. And if you're in the middle of modifying any files on your end, it would probably be a good idea to move them somewhere else so cvs doesn't delete them, in case these files were moved to the new lib folders.

The Sound, Screen, BitmapManager, FontManager, and ScreenManager now have base classes with general behavior in the FrontEndLib. And new classes (the names are now prefaced with "Drod" ) contain the specific DROD behavior of these classes, e.g., loading in the bitmaps, sounds, and fonts used by DROD.

CDrodStream has been renamed CGameStream. Some BackEndLib variable names that used to be called DrodSomething (e.g. wszDRODver) are now referred to by a more generic GameSomething.

The DROD Master workspace in VS 6 reflects these changes, but for those using VS.NET project files or makefiles, these still need to be updated on your end (and committed, if you're feeling generous).

If anyone has any questions, please ask!

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
05-23-2003 at 01:13 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
ross
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 30
icon Re: ATTN: BackEndLib and FrontEndLib. (0)  
Eeek. I guess I better start again then. :(

Was this planned from http://www.drod.net/forum/viewtopic.php?TopicID=376 ??

[Edited by ross on 05-23-2003 at 08:11 AM]
05-23-2003 at 08:56 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
icon Re: Re: ATTN: BackEndLib and FrontEndLib. (0)  
ross wrote:
Eeek. I guess I better start again then. :(

Was this planned from http://www.drod.net/forum/viewtopic.php?TopicID=376 ??
Yeah, this was something we've known we needed at some point, but weren't sure when we'd get to it. So yesterday I decided to do it, since the code is pretty stable at the moment. And for a change like this, sooner is better. This change should save a lot of time for developers in the long run. I'm sorry this is an inconvenience to you. I know that's frustrating.

Here, I'll try to make things easier for you: don't do a cvs update yet. If you've made a bunch of portability changes to your code, email me a diff (-w -u) of all the changes and I'll add them to the new code myself. That way, you won't have lost any ground.

05-23-2003 at 01:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
ross
icon Re: Re: Re: ATTN: BackEndLib and FrontEndLib. (0)  
mrimer wrote:
Yeah, this was something we've known we needed at some point, but weren't sure when we'd get to it. I'm sorry this is an inconvenience to you. I know that's frustrating.
Hey no worries. I wasn't serious :)

I'd rather try and keep my port as up to date as possible, and I'm at the point where I can fairly safely compile all of the code and just need to debug a few things. Mostly based on Unicode and endian-ness I think.

It's probably only likely to take me about ten minutes to get the new stuff compiling. Once you've made the next release I'll send you a few patches based on GCCs output and a Makefile or two.

[Edited by ross on 05-23-2003 at 12:44 PM]
05-23-2003 at 01:43 PM
mrimer
ross wrote:
It's probably only likely to take me about ten minutes to get the new stuff compiling. Once you've made the next release I'll send you a few patches based on GCCs output and a Makefile or two.
That would be great, I can't wait! The amount of time it might take to update this latest code is probably roughly equal to how much time it took you to type in all the changes you've made to your version since you started. For me, that might be hours.

Actually, it probably *would* be best to send us your patches based on the old code, not the new stuff I checked in. Would you mind doing that? It might even save you a bit of time.

05-23-2003 at 06:15 PM
ross
Yeah can do. I can get it compiling at present with minimal changes (mostly defines where schik put them previously) so I'll just send you a diff a little later on (when I'm sure my changes are pretty enough :) ).

I'd also like to get as close to no warnings as I can with GCC first though.

[EDIT] Doh. Forgot to move my code last time I did an update. I'll send changes to the new code if you don't object too much .. plenty of time tonight as my family are all ill currently (:()

[Edited by ross on 05-23-2003 at 07:17 PM]
05-23-2003 at 08:09 PM
ross
I've posted the diffs and Makefile for BackEndLib to your BYU address. If there is somewhere more appropriate to send it .. (or post it) please just let me know.

FrontEndLib patches have gone to the same place.

[Edited by ross on 05-23-2003 at 09:29 PM]
05-23-2003 at 09:20 PM
ross

I'm compiling FrontEndLib and I'm a little confused by it's dependency on BackEndLib (there are several #include "../BackEndLib/Types.h").

If this rigid dependency is there, why bother splitting them up? Or is there a plan to change the way the includes work?
05-23-2003 at 10:24 PM
ross

DRODLib diffs are in the post :)

I haven't touched Db* as it's essentially asking me to cast a c4_BytesRef to a c4_BytesRef& and I didn't want to break MS fragile compiler (NOT - It seems to let *EVERYTHING* through).

Are there really no warnings on Windows at Warning level 4 ??
05-23-2003 at 11:02 PM
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
ross wrote:
If this rigid dependency is there, why bother splitting them up?
Because there are times when we want backendlib functionality without the frontend (UI) functionality. For example, DRODUtil is a command-line utility that performs data conversions and stuff. It doesn't use the UI stuff--just standard IO. Or if we wrote a level server, we'd probably link in backendlib w/o frontendlib.

-Erik

05-24-2003 at 12:02 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ross

Ahh DRODUtil, haven't got that far yet. Have only just seen what it is for :)
05-24-2003 at 08:47 AM
mrimer
ross wrote:
Ahh DRODUtil, haven't got that far yet. Have only just seen what it is for :)
We basically just use it for generating/converting the DROD data files from a really old DROD format (from the original version). It's not needed in any way for compiling or playing the game.

05-24-2003 at 05:19 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : ATTN: BackEndLib and FrontEndLib.
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com